• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

disrespecting opponents and arrogance, we are up shit creek, and yes the coaches are to some extent responsible for it but we have too many shortcomings to just blame the coaches

lol you guys turned on Manning QUICK. We look like a play-in tourney team that lost the best player in college basketball. The heck did y'all expect?
Not to lose to GA Southern and Liberty.

My opinion on Manning, and many people’s here, isn’t a quick turn. He is very talented in certain areas of coaching and clearly I’m pumped about next year’s class. And he represents us incredibly well. But there are some undeniable gaps in his abilities that in my view will always prevent us from going where we all know Wake basketball could go.

Eh, that's pretty fair given my posting history. I do think we made the tourney ahead of schedule last year based on what Manning was handed. I think losing our entire front court is a raw deal for him. I think next year's class is outstanding and we'll be right back in the tournament. I think with even moderately decent play from guys that shouldn't be putting up absurdly bad numbers we win these first two. I've played basketball my whole life and I'll always believe players decide games, not coaches.

But even I didn't mean to pay lip service to the significance of these losses. This is pretty epic on the spectrum of bad, and while making the tourney was impressive last year, our performance there was decidedly not impressive and really spoiled the end of the year in my mind. I buy the excuses above but only to an extent - and it certainly doesn't cover this 0-2 start. The incredibly poor individual performances may have turned what should have been close wins into losses, but if our best outcome is barely beating Ga Southern and Liberty that's sure as shit on the coaches. Tonight's team looked like they were sleep-walking for 75% of the time, which is hard not to correlate with Danny's demeanor.

Lots of season left, but damn.
Kudos. Well said.

This team has about one way to win games. Odom ball. Games in the sixties. Not a future pro in sight. You have to have at least two to go upper echelon in the ACC and probably three for a tourney run. We are going to have to rest Doral in a zone defense, burn clock, and pray. The four guard experiment has to go. If we are going to lose play traditional 1 through 5 height wise and let the youngsters take their lumps.

I think we are very close to being at the point to turn it over to the young guys , take our lumps and wait for the calvary. If we have a terrible performance in the Paradise Jam, it has to happen.

Well, the young guys struggled mightily against the pack line defense, and basically a Princeton type offense, which both are very structured. They came from an AAU environment which does not teach basic offensive or defensive patterns and is a free for all of me ism, so I will give them a pass right now and hope they get better. The rest of the team and coaches just did not prepare well nor look like they have ever heard of team play or unselfishness on the court. Effort seemed to come only in spurts and they looked like a team that knows one way to play, racehorse style, and very weak in the fundamentals of moving your feet defensively, blocking out on rebounding and even passing the ball, and all of that is on the coaches. This will not be a quick fix and won't be fixed at all if we continue to practice and play with the same mindset(s) so buckle up me mates and find something pleasant to do this season if you tend to get too wrapped up in Wake Basketball because it won't be good for your health (unless immediate and drastic changes are made)

Something IS wrong.

Collins left and Dinos surprisingly left.

Our remaining big men are just tall guys who suck at basketball.

After finally finishing this thread, I agree most with this post. I would add that Arians(hope I spelled that right)also knew how to play.

As a group the guards weren't great last year, so it's not surprising that they are who they are.

There's no defending the coaches here. No team with Bryant Crawford, Keyshawn Woods, and Chaundee Brown should ever lose to Liberty on their home court, much less by double digits. I was willing to look at GA Southern as an anomaly, but this is inexcusable. I've always had the creeping thought that Manning isn't the guy, and that thought is growing. I'll beat the drum for Pat Kelsey until I die.

My experience w/ Wake Forest Basketball so far this season: A play in 4 acts

Act I - November 1st: "I really hope our soft non-conference schedule won't come back to bite us on selection Sunday!"

Act II - November 3rd: "Well, a win is a win... I mean, it's only an exhibition and Queens University of Charlotte is ranked #2 in all of Division II!"

Act III - November 10th: "It's only one game... I mean, Georgia Southern returns a lot of talent and they'll probably win the Sun Belt Conference this year. Won't be such a bad loss when you look back at the end of the season. Probably motivates the team!"

Act IV - November 14th: "Liberty University? What in the fuckity fuck is Danny Manning doing? We aren't going to win a single game this season. Burn it all down to the ground! I hate my life."

All of that only took 2 weeks. Took 2 whole weeks to ruin the next 4-5 months of watching college basketball.

My experience w/ Wake Forest Basketball so far this season: A play in 4 acts

Act I - November 1st: "I really hope our soft non-conference schedule won't come back to bite us on selection Sunday!"

Act II - November 3rd: "Well, a win is a win... I mean, it's only an exhibition and Queens University of Charlotte is ranked #2 in all of Division II!"

Act III - November 10th: "It's only one game... I mean, Georgia Southern returns a lot of talent and they'll probably win the Sun Belt Conference this year. Won't be such a bad loss when you look back at the end of the season. Probably motivates the team!"

Act IV - November 14th: "Liberty University? What in the fuckity fuck is Danny Manning doing? We aren't going to win a single game this season. Burn it all down to the ground! I hate my life."

All of that only took 2 weeks. Took 2 whole weeks to ruin the next 4-5 months of watching college basketball.

This

After finally finishing this thread, I agree most with this post. I would add that Arians(hope I spelled that right)also knew how to play.

As a group the guards weren't great last year, so it's not surprising that they are who they are.[/QUOTE

WOW, I could have saved 135 dollars by not buying season tickets. :bowrofl:

FOOTBALL SCHOOL! :thumbsup:

We're going bowling!

(Guess we can't have good football AND basketball at the same time). :tard:

I made the decision to scuttle the paradise jam trip and go to bowl game after win over Syracuse saturday. Glad I did

sailordeac;2987598[B said:
]disrespecting opponents and arrogance[/B], we are up shit creek, and yes the coaches are to some extent responsible for it but we have too many shortcomings to just blame the coaches

elaborate?

Suffered through these 2 games in person. Need to just bench Childress - giving us nothing other than forced drives and unforced errors. Give Wilkebin spot minutes only to rest Crawford/Woods - can't defend a chair and shot seems to have left him. Thompson playing hard, but offensively limited and not much of a threat. Need to run more plays for Brown to make him a tenable 3rd scoring threat. Thought Okeke brought some energy and physicality in his couple of minutes last night and would consider putting him in as the second post guy - seems to actually be interested in rebounding (one of the few who was). Crawford to the league talk can go away - matador defender if he can't get the steal and not embracing the needed leadership role as "the man". This team will be lucky to reach double figure W's at this rate and will get slaughtered in league play by just about everyone.

James_Scottie_2017.jpg

This is the face that Danny Manning saw in his nightmares last night.

I want to know how it is possible for Rich Washington to be worse than Wilbekin on defense. Supposedly they are both spot up shooters, but one is like 6'4 or 6'5.

Also, how the hell does the entire team collapse on the ball under the basket and leave multiple shooters WIDE OPEN! blows my mind

I want to know how it is possible for Rich Washington to be worse than Wilbekin on defense. Supposedly they are both spot up shooters, but one is like 6'4 or 6'5.

Also, how the hell does the entire team collapse on the ball under the basket and leave multiple shooters WIDE OPEN! blows my mind

Isn't Washington out due to injury (arm/shoulder)? But I agree on the horrible defense. It seems that for Manning's entire tenure (and maybe even under Bzz) or "defense" consists of someone getting beat off the dribble, a couple of guys rotate over to try and help, which leads to either: 1. a wide open three off of a kick-out, or 2. a missed shot with an easy offensive rebound because all of our bigs rotated off of their bigs.

Back