• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Evisceration of BKF's arguments of the past

Great article and thanks to those seven and the rest of us who give what we can.

That is an effort that all Wake alums can be very proud of and it’s great to have it documented in this article. Many thanks to Ben Sutton and the lead group of donors to push it to reality.
I took a tour of the Tx A&M facilities several years ago and was in total awe of what they had done. Seeing what this effort has produced for Wake is quite impressive, and I can imagine it infuses immeasurable confidence into our coaches as they woo prospective recruits.

Awesome article. Refutes the dumb but persistent argument that the people with the money don't care about winning.

Also, funny that Del Conte's success at small school TCU was central to the story and as of this week he's men's AD at...Texas.

Why are they wasting their money on dumb player development and practice facilities in which the athletes will spend the majority of their time and will improve their campus experience? They need to blow it on a new basketball arena so that my fan experience will be more fun.

Sutton's words ring true. Winning facilities matter and they don't come cheap. We care a lot about soccer, football, golf, and baseball. Expect those teams to keep thriving.

Meanwhile, in our main sport, we last built a home stadium in 1935.

Sutton's words ring true. Winning facilities matter and they don't come cheap. We care a lot about soccer, football, golf, and baseball. Expect those teams to keep thriving.

Football is Wake's main sport. And we built Groves in 1968 and significantly rebuilt it in the last 10 years.

Football is Wake's main sport. And we built Groves in 1968 and significantly rebuilt it in the last 10 years.

I can't disagree. We have chosen to prioritize football. Groves fits our fan base perfectly. It's a real credit to our alums and is a reflection of our priorities--specifically through the generosity of primarily 1 man--and he should be thanked.

Notably, Sutton offered more than words.

Football is thriving? Maybe by your shitty standards. Those standards are why you are where you are in life. My standards are higher; that's why I am crushing it. I'm a charitable guy, though. If my crew bumps you from your club seats at the Belk Bowl, we'd be happy to invite you down from the uppers for a drink. It's on me. We might even save you a spot in the jet lot, if you want to tailgate. Your little puddle jumpers shouldn't take up too much space.

Football is thriving? Maybe by your shitty standards. Those standards are why you are where you are in life. My standards are higher; that's why I am crushing it. I'm a charitable guy, though. If my crew bumps you from your club seats at the Belk Bowl, we'd be happy to invite you down from the uppers for a drink. It's on me. We might even save you a spot in the jet lot, if you want to tailgate. Your little puddle jumpers shouldn't take up too much space.

I know your post in jest but it's also true: this is the best Wake gets in football--which was precisely why we should have chosen hoops. Hoops can get over the hump. I hear that you all disagree with me and I'll head back to my puddle jumper. Have a good one.

No one disagrees with you about basketball, donaldross. This article is about people who have been very successful in life willing to commit portions of their wealth to the success of athletic programs they value at Wake Forest. Nothing is stopping you from doing that too.

No one disagrees with you about basketball, donaldross. This article is about people who have been very successful in life willing to commit portions of their wealth to the success of athletic programs they value at Wake Forest. Nothing is stopping you from doing that too.

No, they disagree with me. They don't think the stadium is worth the investment.

But you're right I might get my shot. Won't happen at age 40 though. But my point is Sutton is exactly right. We don't want to win enough in basketball. This one's on us.

Last edited:

And the basketball Arena is scheduled for a major renovation but that is not good enough for you obviously.

And the basketball Arena is scheduled for a major renovation but that is not good enough for you obviously.

No, it's horrific. We'll keep losing. I salute Sutton. No wonder he has done so well in business. Acknowledges disasters, admits them, and fixes.

No, it's horrific. We'll keep losing. I salute Sutton. No wonder he has done so well in business. Acknowledges disasters, admits them, and fixes.

And you want to go to a 3500 seat arena, That will surely attract top level talent and make winning that much easier?

Is this renovation actually going to happen? All I’ve seen is a private company post renderings on a website for a day about a year ago and have heard nothing since.

Back