• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Look at Team Recruiting vs. On-Court Success in Last Decade of College Basketball

Dali Llama

Reaction score
Because I’m a college basketball and data dork, this was a mini-project I started a couple months ago purely out of curiosity, compiling recruiting rankings for a couple teams a day. Thought I’d share it on here for anyone interested. I was interested in seeing how teams’ on-court success compares to their recruiting level over the last decade (since one-and-done began). I want to emphasize that this is supposed to be a very rough estimate. There are a lot of limitations. I knew before I started the results would not be kind to Wake. Looking solely at the pre-[name redacted] era, things might look a little better, ha.

To measure on-court performance over the last decade, I took each team’s KenPom adjusted efficiency margin (AdjEM, which is how KenPom ranks teams within seasons) from each season, starting with the 2006-07 season and concluding with the 2016-17 season, and simply summed them all up. The summed AdjEMs from all teams were then ranked from highest to lowest to create an on-court performance ranking for all teams.

To measure recruiting ranking, I was originally just going to use 247's class rankings; however, I quickly realized they are really, really off once you go back a few years. Also, in the 2005 class, the calculation includes players who originally committed to a college before deciding to enter the NBA draft (Gerald Green at Oklahoma State or Monta Ellis at Mississippi State, for instance). So, using 247Sports' rankings, I (slowly) compiled individual player rankings for all players committed to each team in the top 150 (in on-court performance), starting with the class of 2005 and ending with the class of 2016. So, the class of 2005 were sophomores when on-court success began to be captured (06-07 season), and only one year of on-court performance captured for class of 2016. Perhaps not the best, but there will be a loss of information no matter how you do it. Players without a ranking (NA) were assigned a ranking of 500. The bottom 15% of players committed (by ranking) to each team were then dropped to mitigate the effect of outliers and because sometimes schools give scholarships to lower-level players without really affecting on-court success (Stilman White at UNC is one example).

The average ranking of players committed to each team during this time period was then taken. I then simply sorted the average player ranking by team (from lowest to highest) to create a recruiting ranking for all teams.

The plot below includes all teams from the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12, and Big East, as well as some teams from other conferences. The dashed line is where Recruiting Rank = On-Court Performance Rank. So, the (vertical) distance from each team’s logo to the line is the ranking differential.

FqnkJ4E.png

The top right is a bit crowded. Here is a zoomed-in plot of all teams that had both rankings in the Top 30.

TTInkKz.png

Top 20 Biggest "Overperformers"

(Rank Differential = Recruiting Rank – On-Court Performance Rank in parentheses)

1. Wichita State (+66)
2. BYU (+52)
3. Saint Mary’s (+51)
4. Butler (+46)
5. VCU (+44)
6. Northern Iowa (+43)
7. West Virginia (+42)
8. Kansas State (+40)
9. Wisconsin (+39)
10. Gonzaga (+36)
11. Creighton (+31)
12. Davidson (+30)
13. New Mexico (+26)
14. San Diego State (+25)
15. Tulsa (+21)
16. Iowa State (+19)
16. Utah (+19)
18. Richmond (+18)
19. Clemson (+16)
19. Iowa (+16)

Top 20 Biggest "Underperformers"

1. Rutgers (-94)
2. DePaul (-80)
3. Auburn (-66)
4. Wake Forest (-58)
5. Oregon State (-56)
6. UNC-Charlotte (-53)
7. NC State (-50)
7. Georgia Tech (-50)
9. LSU (-45)
9. St. John’s (-45)
11. Washington (-38)
12. UCF (-37)
13. Mississippi State (-35)
14. Alabama (-32)
15. Stanford (-28)
16. TCU (-27)
17. Illinois (-26)
18. Boston College (-25)
19. Arkansas (-24)
20. Florida State (-22)

Like I said, this is supposed to be a very rough estimate. There are a lot of limitations. For instance, KenPom doesn't add any extra value to postseason games, so UConn, despite winning 2 championships during this time period (2008 and 2011), is only 24th in on-court success. Also, I assumed all recruiting classes are equal in quality, which is obviously not accurate in reality. But it was a fun little project. I think there are some substantive things that can be taken from it. I'm open to suggestions to improve it.

Last edited:
Sorry if those plots are a little big. I can fix them later.

And I should've added Wake was 35th in recruiting and 93rd in on-court success (-58 differential).

Great stuff! Thanks for posting it. What's the correlation coefficient for all the data (and the test of significance)?

We got virtually no 4* or above players under BZZZZ. I don't see how we could have "underperformed" so dramatically. We have been consistently near the bottom of ACC recruiting rankings and performed that way.

We got virtually no 4* or above players under BZZZZ. I don't see how we could have "underperformed" so dramatically. We have been consistently near the bottom of ACC recruiting rankings and performed that way.

Buzz was just that shitty. That was our main complaint - if you just let the guys play without a coach, we would have beaten Stetson.

WF was 68-132 vs. the ACC from 2006-07 through last season

65-121 regular season, 3-11 in ACCT

GT was 71-133 over the same time frame (64-122 / 7-11)

Good work -- but need to be able to get the postseason success incorporated somehow.

I need to see the stats where arena size is figured into it.
Ha, I was going to put UNC Greensboro on the plot just for kicks, but they were 270th in on-court success by my measure. Would've completely distorted the plot.

Pretty clear evidence that recruiting rankings matter.

Great stuff! Thanks for posting it. What's the correlation coefficient for all the data (and the test of significance)?
I feel really, really good about the recruiting numbers I pulled for ~100-125 teams. I was cross-referencing Rivals with 247Sports when I was doing it to prevent missing players. Once you start trying to find recruiting rankings for players committed to schools like North Dakota State and Oral Roberts, it becomes more challenging. Missing players, more NAs, a player ranked 650th vs. 800th - what's the difference, etc. I can try to get a (relatively) accurate correlation coefficient for the teams I feel really good about.

Buzz was just that shitty. That was our main complaint - if you just let the guys play without a coach, we would have beaten Stetson.

That's one game. We grossly out talented in our conference and got the results that were to be expected. To say terrible group of ACC players grossly underachieved isn't so. We performed about as our talent would have predicted.

We could have underachieved a bit but not anything like a bottom five.

this is a very good analysis

the op has stated there are limitations, and of course there are

WF's results positioning relative to GT's stands out, as we've been pretty similar in total (but GT has had zero winning seasons in ACC play); this is a limitation of using average efficiency, I suppose

we did have a #3 or 4 national recruiting class with AFA/Woods/Walker that did not live up to the hype; I don't think it's a reach to say we've had the 35th best recruiting overall

That's one game. We grossly out talented in our conference and got the results that were to be expected. To say terrible group of ACC players grossly underachieved isn't so. We performed about as our talent would have predicted.

We could have underachieved a bit but not anything like a bottom five.

pretty classic rj vs. math battle being set up here

So only 5 ACC teams outperformed their rankings, and none by a big margin. 10 underperformed, several by a huge margin. Maybe ACC recruits are overrated.

I started with the class of 2005 and ended with the class of 2016. [Redacted] was responsible for 3-4 (depending on if you count some of 2014 as his) classes of the 12 classes I pulled. Also, I dropped the lowest 15% of recruits (rounded to the nearest integer) committed to each team during this time period to try to prevent the effect of outliers and because schools can take flyers on lower-rated guys every now and again without really affecting on-court success.

If you start looking at "Power 6" teams' recruiting classes over the years, not many schools consistently fill the large majority of classes with top 100 recruits. 35th in recruiting during this time frame feels about right.

Like I said, this isn't supposed to be a be-all and end-all. Just a rough estimate.

WF was 68-132 vs. the ACC from 2006-07 through last season

65-121 regular season, 3-11 in ACCT

GT was 71-133 over the same time frame (64-122 / 7-11)

Bz was bad, but man ... Brian Gregory might have actually been worse (though less detestable as a person). Jesus.

Back