• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on the Florida State Seminoles 8 pm Tonight - ACC Network and ESPN 3

Pilchard

Reaction score
2017-8 Season: FSU is 16-5 (5-4) and #21 in the KP ratings. Against top 100 teams, FSU is 5-5 with wins over #27 Florida (on the road), #13 UNC, #45 Cuse (in 2 OT), #41 VA Tech, #25 Miami (in OT). FSU's losses #71 OK State, #4 Duke, #29 Miami, #31 L'ville (at home) and #80 BC. FSU has won 3 straight, and last time out, the Noles beat Miami at home in OT 103-94. FSU is 1-3 on the ACC road, beating VT, but losing at BC, Duke and Miami. Fun fact: over the last 9 years, Leonard Hamilton has taken FSU to post-season 8 times, and to the NCAAs 5 times. This year looks like NCAA invite #6 out of 10. Good run at a school, where football is the clear priority.

Offense: The Nole's strength is their offense. They are the #2 ACC team (behind only Duke) in offensive efficiency in ACC games. FSU attacks the basket. They are #1 in the conference in FTA per FGA, they are #4 in offensive rebounding percentage, 21% of their offense comes from FTs (#2 in the ACC), and FSU does not turn the ball over #2 in TO%. The Noles play up tempo; they are #1 in the ACC in tempo, and they have ramped up the tempo in their last 5 ACC games scoring: 101, 75, 91, 88, 103. Their "semi" offensive weaknesses are FT shooting (#8 in the ACC) and 3 point shooting (#9 in the ACC) as only 30% of the FSU offense comes from 3s (#11 in the ACC).

Defense: FSU's defense has been a problem this year. Surprisingly FSU is DFL in the ACC in defensive efficiency in conference games, and they have struggled in virtually every defensive category. Teams shoot well against FSU from 2 (50% - #12 in the ACC) and from 3 (37% - #11 in the ACC); FSU does not force turnovers (#13 in the ACC), and they foul a lot (#13 in FTA/FGA). Not surprisingly, given the above-stats, FSU has played a lot of high scoring games (in FSU's 9 ACC games, 161 or more points have been scored 7 times).

Roster: FSU is big outside of their PG, starting: 6-1 (CJ Walker), 6-6 (Brian Angola), 6-6 (Terance Mann), 6-8 (Phil Cofer) and 7-4, yes 7-4 (Christ Koumadje). FSU generally plays an 8 man rotation. The three bench players most likely to play are freshman MJ Walker (6-6; 41% from 3), Trent Forrest (6-8) and Mfiondu Kabengle (6-8 245). Mann is the Nole's leading scorer; he had 30 against VT, 25 against L'ville and 21 against BC; Mann is not a threat from 3 (only 9 made threes on the season), but he is a beast inside, shooting 66% from 2.

Bottom line: KP projects an 83-77 FSU win; Vegas has the Noles favored by 3 and the total is 157.5. WF has not beaten FSU since February 9, 2013 - a dominating 71-46 WF win, which included a 10 point contribution from Chase Fischer. The Deacs are physically banged up and mentally fragile right now, but have a feeling that the Deacs will play well tonight, and pull out a home win to put a little distance between WF and Pitt for the battle of the bottom of the conference.

Last edited:
I'll be positive for once. I think we win one of the next two at home.

I mean eventually you'll be right.

Have I been saying it a lot? I don't think I have.

I mean, I expected us to beat VT and thought we'd play better in a number of these games, but I don't think I've flat out said that we'd win in a while.

Went back and looked... I did, on the day of the Duke game at the Joel, change my stance from "We're going to get blown out" to "We're going to pull off an upset." I was dead wrong.

Aside from that, I haven't said we'd win since VT.

Have I been saying it a lot? I don't think I have.

I mean, I expected us to beat VT and thought we'd play better in a number of these games, but I don't think I've flat out said that we'd win in a while.

I don't know, I was kidding. It seems someone on this board every game says "we will win this one," so somebody is going to be right eventually. Maybe it will be you. I've given up on thinking we'll beat anybody, that way I can't be disappointed and can only be pleasantly surprised if/when we win.

Terribly uninspired defense teamed with a barrage of contested jumpers on offense. Noles by 15. Manning sits there void of emotion, hoping to be noticed for the next Matrix reboot.

Suck on that KP.

It will be interesting to see how Doral does against someone bigger than him...

If i were a betting man i would take FSU, and give the points. Unless we've had a Eureka moment, decide to play together (unselfishly), play hard, and don't show up with 2 different uniforms, there is no chance. 89-66 Noles.

He has a chance to build on two very solid performances.

Just hope the length doesn't bother him too much. Continue attacking the basketball and get his three point shot going and it could be a fun game for him.

He has a chance to build on two very solid performances.

Disappointing that there is no actual TV for me. U-verse in Raleigh.

At least it is on wake's home network - ESPN3

Florida State leads the all-time series, 25-24

in haiku form, for emphasis:

Florida State leads
in hoop vs. Wake Forest
from the dawn of time

Leonard Hamilton's expressionless face and icy glare. The man never looks happy. Perhaps that's why his teams win. Wait, hasn't worked for us.

Disappointing that there is no actual TV for me. U-verse in Raleigh.

At least it is on wake's home network - ESPN3

Just get a Chromecast, HDMI cable, firestick, xbox, etc.. and watch it on your TV it's just as good.

Terribly uninspired defense teamed with a barrage of contested jumpers on offense. Noles by 15. Manning sits there void of emotion, hoping to be noticed for the next Matrix reboot.

Suck on that KP.

This is just so totally correct and that effort in the second half of the Lewisville game and the lack of expression from our head coach made me harken back to the days of Jim Britt Grobe and the grass picking. Gosh I miss all that enthusiasm and getting involved with the coaches and players during the game. Oh no that is not what he did at the end of his era

Florida State leads the all-time series, 25-24

in haiku form, for emphasis:

Florida State leads
in hoop vs. Wake Forest
from the dawn of time

Wow that just shows how much of an embarrassment we’ve been for about a decade. I remember there was a time when FSU had some gaudy losing streak at the Joel if I recall from the mid 90s to the mid 2000s. Or am I thinking of Clemson? Hell, they both may have had big time losing streaks at wake. For some reason that stat you mentioned has me shook. Wow.

I'm sad that Ojo is gone.

Back