• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

Think about what might happen 2-3 years from now. Barring something we don't know about, Danny will be our coach next year. Assuming everyone currently on the roster (with the possible exception of Key) returns, it will be a surprise if we don't make The Dance next year. If that happens, Danny won't be fired after making The NCAAT in two of three seasons.

Hate to be the voice of logic amid this cauldron of hate, but these the logical outcomes.

Next Wake coach needs some time at a P6 program as a coach and recruiter. Need some experience looking at top 150 guys and figuring out which ones fit your team, have a high upside and are most likely to get close to that upside. At the P5 level there isn't the option of going after guys on the next section up of the lists like there is if you're recruiting 200-300 type guys.

Think about what might happen 2-3 years from now. Barring something we don't know about, Danny will be our coach next year. Assuming everyone currently on the roster (with the possible exception of Key) returns, it will be a surprise if we don't make The Dance next year. If that happens, Danny won't be fired after making The NCAAT in two of three seasons.

Hate to be the voice of logic amid this cauldron of hate, but these the logical outcomes.

Agree DM will coach the WF men's basketball team next year. Don't agree that any thing else quoted above constitutes a "logical outcome", except that DM doesn't need to make the NCAA tourney to keep his job.

If WF muddled to a 7-11 or 8-10 ACC record and received an NIT invite; don't think that WF would terminate DM's contract as progress would be claimed. For DM to face legit job jeopardy after next season, WF's 2017-8 season would look a lot like this past one (which might happen, but guessing that WF won't suffer 3 craptastic OOC losses next year, and WF will not blow quite as many ACC games that it led late, and WF will slide into the NIT guaranteeing that DM stays).

Last edited:
Pilch, if we make The Dance next year, any chance (barring infractions/personal problems) that Danny would be fired after that?

Agree DM will coach the WF men's basketball team next year. Don't agree that any thing else quoted above constitutes a "logical outcome".

agree with both statements. this is manning we are talking about. however, rj's premise is looking like my worst nightmare. manning does just enough for ronnie to keep him around and pretend he made a great hire rather than, at best, a mediocre one. (in terms of wins/losses - based on that he's currently a failure but ronnie and the status quo brigade will reach for any reason to kiss the ring).

I think he was referring to the "it will be a surprise if we don't make The Dance next year" portion.

I think the "cauldron of hate" around here is operating under the assumption that Danny will indeed find a way for us to miss the NCAAs again next season. If we have a good season next year, I suspect the "cauldron of hate" will end up being more like a "kettle of tepidness" (depending on what the 2019 class looks like).

Pilch, if we make The Dance next year, any chance (barring infractions/personal problems) that Danny would be fired after that?

No. WF is not making the NCAAs next year, but the bar you set is too high. WF does not want to fire Manning. If WF can slime out an NIT bid, Manning stays. Basketball expectations are low among those that make the hiring and firing decisions.

Just like it'll be a surprise if we're not preseason top 25 (or close to it) next year?

I think he was referring to the "it will be a surprise if we don't make The Dance next year" portion.

I think the "cauldron of hate" around here is operating under the assumption that Danny will indeed find a way for us to miss the NCAAs again next season. If we have a good season next year, I suspect the "cauldron of hate" will end up being more like a "kettle of tepidness" (depending on what the 2019 class looks like).

Quality of 2019 class plus any regular transfers who arrive in 2018 and sit out 2018 then play starting in 2019 will be critical to Wake success. One man junior class in 18/senior class in 19 without incoming transfers.

BTW, one of these years, WF will play Pitt twice, and if that happens next year, given that Pitt currently has close to zero scholarship players, WF would start the season essentially 2-0 in the ACC. So, 5-11 or 6-10 record in the ACC against everyone else not named Pitt, probably saves DM's job.

If WF muddled to a 7-11 or 8-10 ACC record and received an NIT invite; don't think that WF would terminate DM's contract as progress would be claimed.

This is what I am most worried about.

I hated the way the end of the season went, but I've calmed down a bit. I actually do think Wake will make the NCAAs next season, but if we don't, Manning needs to go. If we are largely mediocre next year and he stays... This place is going to be VERY depressing (even more so than it is right now). For many, anger has already given way to apathy... I suspect that'll be more prevalent if we have NIT level success next year.

BTW, one of these years, WF will play Pitt twice, and if that happens next year, given that Pitt currently has close to zero scholarship players, WF would start the season essentially 2-0 in the ACC. So, 5-11 or 6-10 record in the ACC against everyone else not named Pitt, probably saves DM's job.

Can we somehow add more games against Pitt for the OOC? Like how we're eventually going to do w/ UNC in football?

In five years, the NBA will get the G league running for real, the one and done rule will be gone and Dept of Education Student Athletics basketball will be glorified rec league games. Then, the Deacs will rise to prior glory!

In five years, the NBA will get the G league running for real, the one and done rule will be gone and Dept of Education Student Athletics basketball will be glorified rec league games. Then, the Deacs will rise to prior glory!

none of these are things that will happen

This is what I am most worried about.

I hated the way the end of the season went, but I've calmed down a bit. I actually do think Wake will make the NCAAs next season, but if we don't, Manning needs to go. If we are largely mediocre next year and he stays... This place is going to be VERY depressing (even more so than it is right now). For many, anger has already given way to apathy... I suspect that'll be more prevalent if we have NIT level success next year.

If we suck and Manning stays, then CreamyG will not buy season tickets for the first time ever and is going to dive right into to the doom and gloom lagoon. At some point this all becomes indefensible.

FTR, I still have us making the tourney, winning one game, and keeping my posting status on OGBoards.

It's almost like fans are happy when we win and unhappy when we lose.

No. WF is not making the NCAAs next year, but the bar you set is too high. WF does not want to fire Manning. If WF can slime out an NIT bid, Manning stays. Basketball expectations are low among those that make the hiring and firing decisions.

If everyone is back and Hoard/Mucius are as good as advertised, we have no excuse not to make the NCAAT.

The additions of Hoard and Mucius/Sarr over Wilbekin and Thompson would be massive.

You are also assuming that Wellman will sign a new contract before the end of next basketball season.

Back