• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hire Ryan Odom

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
And do it now. Keep Randolph on staff to keep our recruits and keep recruiting like he has done, hire Dave Odom for 2 years to help with non-recruiting tasks, try to get Tim Duncan back to coach our bigs and recruit by name alone, and go from there.

Last edited:
Lol, who the hell is Lane Odom?

Ryan is probably a better choice. I told my wife if his team beat UVa,we should hire him on the spot.

:laugh:

hasnt won a conference anywhere. subject needs little more experience. more Odom at Wake, nah.

Discounting someone based on family affiliation and history at Wake is just as dumb as giving a pass for the same reason.

Ryan Odom has the makings of a really good candidate. Regional recruiting ties, high major assistant experience, private school experience (bonus for Ronny), and two turnarounds (his Lenoir-Rhyne predecessor won 8 games the prior year compared to 21 for Ryan and his UMBC predecessor won 28 games across 4 seasons compared to 21 and 25). I would just want to see him sustain it for a couple more seasons and / or jump to a higher program. All these low-major guys have more to prove before they can be real candidates for a job like Wake.

His first two years as a D1 head coach were certainly more impressive than Kelsey's, Miller's, or McDevitt's.

Ryan Odom has the makings of a really good candidate. Regional recruiting ties, high major assistant experience, private school experience (bonus for Ronny), and two turnarounds (his Lenoir-Rhyne predecessor won 8 games the prior year compared to 21 for Ryan and his UMBC predecessor won 28 games across 4 seasons compared to 21 and 25). I would just want to see him sustain it for a couple more seasons and / or jump to a higher program. All these low-major guys have more to prove before they can be real candidates for a job like Wake.

His first two years as a D1 head coach were certainly more impressive than Kelsey's, Miller's, or McDevitt's.

Except if we wait until they have more experience, the opportunity is gone. 8 years of pure sucking have taking all the luster from this job.

No time like today.

Last edited:
Except if wait until they have more experience, the opportunity is gone. 8 years of pure sucking have taking all the luster from this job.

No time like today.

Yeah, I just don't think that's true. Pat Kelsey's best offer has been UMass, which had made the tournament once since 1998. The best job Wes Miller is getting any buzz for is UNCC. The best job Ryan Odom is getting any buzz for is ECU.

All these low-major guys have more to prove before they can be real candidates for a job like Wake.

This is where we just fundamentally disagree. Wait for what? For the world to pass them by? We have one of the worst P5 jobs--pretending otherwise is silly. We can't even afford to build a proper stadium. Give me youth, hustle, loyalty, and hope--and more hustle. Waiting is insane. We are continuing to go backwards. Odom's run--while flukish of course--combined with his success elsewhere and history with Wake make him the ideal candidate (like Miller). Must hire him now though. 50 is too late.

I like new hires on pure emotion. They always work out.

This is where we just fundamentally disagree. Wait for what? For the world to pass them by? We have one of the worst P5 jobs--pretending otherwise is silly. We can't even afford to build a proper stadium. Give me youth, hustle, loyalty, and hope--and more hustle. Waiting is insane. We are continuing to go backwards. Odom's run--while flukish of course--combined with his success elsewhere and history with Wake make him the ideal candidate (like Miller). Must hire him now though. 50 is too late.

We do fundamentally disagree. From my perspective, i will take the proven 50 year old and the high probability of 15 years of success versus the unproven 35 year old and the low probability of 30 years of success. No amount of arguing is going to change that.

Wake isn't one of the worst P5 jobs though. We are pretty clearly better a job than BC, Miami, VT, and Clemson. That's just within our own conference.

Back