• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hire Ryan Odom

Well now I'm a little confused. It seems we agree.

Or are you saying that good coaches get good talent and good talent wins close games more often than bad talent? My initial point was that I bet coaching has less to do with it, thus only being %10 better than a coin flip. I'm %90 team talent, %10 team coach when it comes to end game scenarios in bball.

My bad on that one....

Yeah, of course they are. But I think the topic is/was "Why do we fucking blow at the end of games?"

An abnormal amount of games lost were led by Wake Forest in the 2nd half.

I think Manning does a good job in "gameplanning", but when things get tight down the stretch, we have a nice combination of:
1- Not getting stops (defense sucks all game, but is magnified in the end game)
2- Missing shots / Turning the ball over
3- Manning just standing around and leaving it up to the players

If this is your concern and question you'd be better off looking at win percentage when leading with 5 or 10 minutes left, regardless of how close the final score is.

I'm constantly amazed at how obsessed with rj moonz has always been. If he had the financial wherewithal, he'd love to get an operation to have rj's child and be tied to him forever.

They are too chickenshit to answer that...

Fuck you asshole.

For the record, I am not JamesSokolove, which should be sufficiently obvious.

Since you have me blocked I don't expect a response, which will allow you to live in your little fantasy world where you think only a few other posters think you totally suck.

Dave Odom was on campus yesterday for Coach Haddocks memorial service.

I heard someone ask him what it would take to get Ryan to come coach at Wake. He just laughed.

But was it a dismissive laugh or an in the know like jokes on you he's coming laugh?

But was it a dismissive laugh or an in the know like jokes on you he's coming laugh?

Or just an uncomfortable laugh because his son is a grown ass man and Dave Odom has no business commenting in public on what it would take to bring him to Wake Forest.

Last edited:
Fire Wellman and drain the rest of the swamp and we might have a chance at a very good coach!

My first act as AD would be to admit I know just enough to be dangerous about football and to designate a 3 man panel of Larry Russell, Lee Puckett and Riley Skinner to make all football decisions—all of whom have already agreed to serve for a mere 15k/year.

Yeah, of course they are. But I think the topic is/was "Why do we fucking blow at the end of games?"

An abnormal amount of games lost were led by Wake Forest in the 2nd half.

I think Manning does a good job in "gameplanning", but when things get tight down the stretch, we have a nice combination of:
1- Not getting stops (defense sucks all game, but is magnified in the end game)
2- Missing shots / Turning the ball over
3- Manning just standing around and leaving it up to the players

Number 3 is why Manning should be fired immediately.

That dismissive laugh by Odom is something...

Lurker, who is your list?

This is my list (in order):

Tom Crean
Eric Musselman
Dan Hurley
Pat Kelsey
Earl Grant
Dane Fife
Nick McDevitt
Wes Miller
Nate Oats
Ryan Odom
Scott Nagy
Micah Shrewsberry
Levelle Motion
Mike Young

But if I wasn't confident that I could get one of the top 3 names then I wouldn't make the move (obviously Crean is already off the list - although if both jobs are open at the same time I bet he would have taken us over Georgia, provided we were offering reasonable money).

I don't see the sense of urgency around Miller or Odom in particular:
1) No high-major or top mid-major program is going to hire either one of them this off-season
2) Next season, at best, they will be candidates for programs similar to Wake (e.g. not a blueblood), and the whole premise is they would rather be at Wake
3) Manning is making the program better by increasing the talent level - it isn't like we will be a worse job next off season than we are this off season

Why not give them another year to prove themselves? Let's see if Miller can take his team to the next level and maybe get into that Gregg Marshall @ Winthrop zone. Let's see what Odom can do with a roster mostly made up of players he recruited. I could see Kelsey ending-up at Xavier, but he's ranked that highly because I think he has relatively little downside, not that he has a bunch of upside (he's done a good but not super-exciting job at Winthrop).

I don't expect us to hire a Gregg Marshall @ Wichita State in 2014 type candidate (Musselman might be out of our reach if he keeps advancing - although he's old enough that he may not want to wait around for a better job). But, yeah, I think a Gregg Marshall @ Wichita State in 2010 type candidate is feasible.

Last edited:
Your vision of Wake in the hoops world is just way too high.

Further, your belief that Miller and Odom would come here once there are similar offers on the table is not accurate. Wellman all but fired Odom. Miller’s lifelong dream to play for the Deacs was blocked for nonmeritorious reasons by Wellman. Those wounds are real and time doesn’t fully heal them.

The concept I was pushing was that by offering NOW—before we are in competition for them with similar jobs—we can overcome their angst with Ron and get them back to a place they loved and can again and would want to stay—especially as Wellman exits in year x.

Back