• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blaze Jordan. 13 year old belting 500 ft homers

Impressive for a 13 year old. With today's composite bats and the size and strength of some of the kids, it doesn't surprise me. My son is 13 and plays travel baseball and while I've seen a few kids with impressive power, there haven't been any that can crank it out like that.

What he's doing is impressive, but palma fix the headline. He's 15 not 13.

Being 6'1, 215 also helps.

That swing combined with power. Man oh man.

I've always wanted to take swings in a big league park to see where I could hit it. That he was smacking them out at age 11 is a bit humbling.

Impressive for a 13 year old. With today's composite bats and the size and strength of some of the kids, it doesn't surprise me. My son is 13 and plays travel baseball and while I've seen a few kids with impressive power, there haven't been any that can crank it out like that.

I'm interested to see what the new Little League bat rules this season do to affect power. The new USA Bats suck ass compared to the 1.15 BBCOR, and the weights are all boldfaced lies on the smaller sizes. At least at the under-10yo levels, what would have been a fly ball to the outfield with a 1.15 is a ground ball to the middle infield with a USA Bat. As a result nobody is trying to jack it, they are all trying to ground it down the third base line. Maybe it is one of the intents (other than simply forcing everyone to buy new bats), but it makes the hitter focus more on placement than power.

That swing combined with power. Man oh man.

I've always wanted to take swings in a big league park to see where I could hit it. That he was smacking them out at age 11 is a bit humbling.

Its very Griffey-esque. And yeah, it says he doesn't lift weights yet.

I'm interested to see what the new Little League bat rules this season do to affect power. The new USA Bats suck ass compared to the 1.15 BBCOR, and the weights are all boldfaced lies on the smaller sizes. At least at the under-10yo levels, what would have been a fly ball to the outfield with a 1.15 is a ground ball to the middle infield with a USA Bat. As a result nobody is trying to jack it, they are all trying to ground it down the third base line. Maybe it is one of the intents (other than simply forcing everyone to buy new bats), but it makes the hitter focus more on placement than power.

Interesting. I'm on the travel side so haven't been affected by the new bat rules. The one thing I would love to see a limit on is pitching. Currently there are only innings restrictions not pitch count. I see so many kids being overused on the travel ball side but I guess that's another story.

Travel ball and high school ball should just go to wooden bats. I think expense is the only thing keeping it from happening.

Interesting. I'm on the travel side so haven't been affected by the new bat rules. The one thing I would love to see a limit on is pitching. Currently there are only innings restrictions not pitch count. I see so many kids being overused on the travel ball side but I guess that's another story.

Little League does have pitch count restrictions, which is good and bad. Good in the sense that there are black and white cutoffs, but bad because there are way too many pitching changes within live at-bats, so the new pitcher is coming in with an ongoing count. I think the compromise should be a limit based on a combination of pitches thrown and batters faced.

Where the new bat rules really suck is a situation like ours where the travel team is selected from the Little League league so has to use the USA bat for rec ball but can use the BBCOR bat for travel ball. The weight ratios are so different that the kids are all over the place switching back and forth.

Travel ball and high school ball should just go to wooden bats. I think expense is the only thing keeping it from happening.

These new USA bats are supposed to mimic wooden bats as much as possible by capping the exit velocity of the ball. Kind of like a restrictor plate for a baseball bat. They are instituting them in Little League first I think with the hope of ultimately making it universal.

Lol his name is Blaze. Teammates with Jaxon, Greyson, and Brodie.

Little League does have pitch count restrictions, which is good and bad. Good in the sense that there are black and white cutoffs, but bad because there are way too many pitching changes within live at-bats, so the new pitcher is coming in with an ongoing count. I think the compromise should be a limit based on a combination of pitches thrown and batters faced.

Where the new bat rules really suck is a situation like ours where the travel team is selected from the Little League league so has to use the USA bat for rec ball but can use the BBCOR bat for travel ball. The weight ratios are so different that the kids are all over the place switching back and forth.

I could see that being a problem for the little league kids. As far as pitch restrictions goes, I've seen 10 year old kids throw over 100 pitches in a game and still be within their innings limit (travel ball). I think with Little League they should at least let pitcher finish the at bat. Kind of stupid to change a pitcher mid count. Also I would def. be in favor of the bat restrictions for travel as well. Kids swinging a 2 3/4 composite bat who are 10,11,12 years old and are as big as some adults is a dangerous situation. Btw, what age does your son play?

I could see that being a problem for the little league kids. As far as pitch restrictions goes, I've seen 10 year old kids throw over 100 pitches in a game and still be within their innings limit (travel ball). I think with Little League they should at least let pitcher finish the at bat. Kind of stupid to change a pitcher mid count. Also I would def. be in favor of the bat restrictions for travel as well. Kids swinging a 2 3/4 composite bat who are 10,11,12 years old and are as big as some adults is a dangerous situation. Btw, what age does your son play?

Age is another thing where the leagues really need to get on the same page. He is on a 9U travel team but is 8U for Little League, and some of the kids on his 9U team are considered 7U for Little League. I guess it helps for Little League postseason to have been playing tournaments against older kids, but is it really that hard to use the same cutoff dates?

when i was 15 I was the master of Tony Hawk Pro Skater on N64

#imthesuperman

Age is another thing where the leagues really need to get on the same page. He is on a 9U travel team but is 8U for Little League, and some of the kids on his 9U team are considered 7U for Little League. I guess it helps for Little League postseason to have been playing tournaments against older kids, but is it really that hard to use the same cutoff dates?

If they had the same cutoffs, you'd see the same phenomenon that happens in Hockey from certain countries... Where a ridiculous percentage of players are born in the same 1-2 months.

One of the first chapters of Freakonomics outlines just how important a birthday can be towards a childs chance of eventually going pro.

I bought a new bat yesterday for my 7 year old, and it was a 28/20, however when I hold it and swing it feels a lot heavier than that. I could have ordered a lighter one online but the cost was about $50 more so I went with the 20 ounce model but don't think he is going to be to generate any bat speed. Of course he barely has any bat speed anyway, but I don't want him to just whiff all year. Interesting that you say the weights are bogus as I was thinking the same thing in the back of my mind.

Those Easton Drop 5s are ridiculous. They are allowed shave them in HR contests as well which thins the composite bat wall and gives them more bounce. Jordan is impressive no doubt and has massive torque in his swing but the equipment is helping him out a great deal.

DeMarini got sick of being second to Easton a couple years ago and came out with a line of crazy CF7, 8 and then Zen -10 models which were eventually banned by USSSA and other sanctioning leagues bc 70 pound kids were hitting 225 foot home runs.

I used to go to the park and hear HR cheers every 30 seconds, when the CF Zens were in play and that has been significantly reduced. The lime green CF8s are still legal and go for $1,000 on ebay LOL

The bat arms race and technology had become outrageous. I think the USA standard is a positive thing, just like the BBCOR standard a few years ago in high school and college. Good that they did it before some kid or parent was killed by a line drive. (maybe one was an I don't know)

Those Easton Drop 5s are ridiculous. They are allowed shave them in HR contests as well which thins the composite bat wall and gives them more bounce. Jordan is impressive no doubt and has massive torque in his swing but the equipment is helping him out a great deal.

DeMarini got sick of being second to Easton a couple years ago and came out with a line of crazy CF7, 8 and then Zen -10 models which were eventually banned by USSSA and other sanctioning leagues bc 70 pound kids were hitting 225 foot home runs.

I used to go to the park and hear HR cheers every 30 seconds, when the CF Zens were in play and that has been significantly reduced. The lime green CF8s are still legal and go for $1,000 on ebay LOL

The bat arms race and technology had become outrageous. I think the USA standard is a positive thing, just like the BBCOR standard a few years ago in high school and college. Good that they did it before some kid or parent was killed by a line drive. (maybe one was an I don't know)

Agreed. I think seeing College, High School, and Little League make the change, it's time for the travel organizations to do the same (AAU, USSSA, Dynasty, etc.). Kids these days with the current equipment, have no trouble hitting a homerun over a 200 ft. fence which is what's played on (at least around here) in most tournaments. That goes up to about 12u (which is too short for those kids).

Back