• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blaze Jordan. 13 year old belting 500 ft homers

I bought a new bat yesterday for my 7 year old, and it was a 28/20, however when I hold it and swing it feels a lot heavier than that. I could have ordered a lighter one online but the cost was about $50 more so I went with the 20 ounce model but don't think he is going to be to generate any bat speed. Of course he barely has any bat speed anyway, but I don't want him to just whiff all year. Interesting that you say the weights are bogus as I was thinking the same thing in the back of my mind.

Drop -8 might be too much for your 7 year old unless he has some size.

I bought a new bat yesterday for my 7 year old, and it was a 28/20, however when I hold it and swing it feels a lot heavier than that. I could have ordered a lighter one online but the cost was about $50 more so I went with the 20 ounce model but don't think he is going to be to generate any bat speed. Of course he barely has any bat speed anyway, but I don't want him to just whiff all year. Interesting that you say the weights are bogus as I was thinking the same thing in the back of my mind.

You could weigh the bat and see what you get. That doesn't tell you anything about the weight distribution along the length of the bat. The distribution can make the same total weight feel heavier or lighter.

Yeah I doubt it is 28/20, probably more like 28/23. My wife has one of those digital food scales, so I brought it to Dicks and weighed all of the different USA bats after I got one online that was way off. All of the -10s were really -6 or -7, and the -8s were -5 or -6. The disparity is heightened by the shorter bats, as I don't think they can get the weight down with the compact length. Once you get over 30" then they seem to start to get more accurate; but yeah the 28s are just boldfaced lies. The people at Dicks got so pissed of me weighing their bats and yelling "Fraud!" with each one that they gave me $50 off to get the hell out.

And like DeaconBlue said, the balance is a huge factor as well. Dicks has the Easton 750C that looks like it should be decent, but is so damn end-weighted that only the token team fat kid can swing it effectively. Which one did you buy? After weighing, buying, and returning probably 7 bats, We finally settled on the DiMarini Voodoo 2-piece 28/18, which is actually 28/20.5. It seemed to be the most balanced and lightest, but of course is $250 unless you load up on coupons. It hits really well on the sweet spot, but anything even partially off center is straight into the ground or straight up in the air.

The one I actually like the most is the $99 Easton 750 (not the C, but the white/blue one)... the 28 and 29 are way off on weight and the shapes are weird so not great for smaller kids, but once you hit the 30" it is relatively accurate and normal. This early in the season, the kids with those seem to be driving the ball the best from what I've seen BUT there are more strikeouts from kids who normally wouldn't using them because of the overall increased weight.

Last edited:
Yeah I doubt it is 28/20, probably more like 28/23. My wife has one of those digital food scales, so I brought it to Dicks and weighed all of the different USA bats after I got one online that was way off. All of the -10s were really -6 or -7, and the -8s were -5 or -6. The disparity is heightened by the shorter bats, as I don't think they can get the weight down with the compact length. Once you get over 30" then they seem to start to get more accurate; but yeah the 28s are just boldfaced lies. The people at Dicks got so pissed of me weighing their bats and yelling "Fraud!" with each one that they gave me $50 off to get the hell out.

And like DeaconBlue said, the balance is a huge factor as well. Dicks has the Easton 750C that looks like it should be decent, but is so damn end-weighted that only the token team fat kid can swing it effectively. Which one did you buy? After weighing, buying, and returning probably 7 bats, We finally settled on the DiMarini Voodoo 2-piece 28/18, which is actually 28/20.5. It seemed to be the most balanced and lightest, but of course is $250 unless you load up on coupons. It hits really well on the sweet spot, but anything even partially off center is straight into the ground or straight up in the air.

The one I actually like the most is the $99 Easton 750 (not the C, but the white/blue one)... the 28 and 29 are way off on weight and the shapes are weird so not great for smaller kids, but once you hit the 30" it is relatively accurate and normal. This early in the season, the kids with those seem to be driving the ball the best from what I've seen BUT there are more strikeouts from kids who normally wouldn't using them because of the overall increased weight.

My kid started coach pitch last week. We bought him the cheapest bat and glove we could find at Target. I guess we're bad parents.

This thread is depressing.

My kid started coach pitch last week. We bought him the cheapest bat and glove we could find at Target. I guess we're bad parents.

Not bad parents at all...that is money wasted if it turns out that your Kid is not into baseball. However, If you kid does take to it and really enjoys playing, then an upgrade in equipment will be in order but no reason to do that for the first year of coaches pitch. That said, I bought my two son's crazy expensive bats for christmas mainly because I had some much fun shopping for them and studying all the bats out there. When I played in high school, we had 3 easton's for the whole team and we all shared them so I'm kind of living vicariously through my kid's bat shopping as pathetic as that sounds.

No, as SCDeac said, for first year of coach pitch you made the right move. Go cheap and see if he likes it and has some ability. If he does then it is easy enough to upgrade. It is like golf clubs .... a good bat isn't going to make a bad hitter into a good hitter, and isn't going to make a good hitter into an outstanding hitter. But, assuming he is decent, it will be the difference throughout the season between some singles and doubles, and some doubles and home runs. Especially at the younger ages, 20 more feet deeper into the outfield, or a ground ball moving twice as fast through the infield, makes a big difference into how the ball is fielded and relayed back in.

Back