• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford & Moore enter the Draft

OK. Cool. CharlotteDeac has declared there's nothing to be worried about.

Wake basketball is good enough. Wake basketball is smart enough. And doggone it, recruits like us.

Big different between juniors from a good team testing the waters vs. juniors from a bad team testing the waters.

There’s a Big difference? You’re saying a junior would choose not to simply explore, with no penalty whatsoever, his future opportunities because his team might be successful the following year? And postpone making millions depending on what feedback he gets? That seems...odd. I mean, you could feel like you have the best team in the history of college basketball coming back and there’s still no guarantee of being successful if that is measured as winning the natl championship.

I understand that some will take any and every bit of info as a chance to cut down our coach and program but I would think they would be foolish not to declare and not hire an agent. Any junior should go through the process. Just make sure you get balanced, realistic feedback.

Manning sucks but at this point it’s pretty stupid to use Doral/BC testing the waters as evidence. If they stay in despite having virtually no chance of being drafted, pile on.

OK. Cool. CharlotteDeac has declared there's nothing to be worried about.

Wake basketball is good enough. Wake basketball is smart enough. And doggone it, recruits like us.

Damn must have missed where I said all that. Just think your argument is dumb and tired. One or both might leave -no one knows - but it should not be to the nba.

ITT: passive-aggressive posters dig up posts from old threads and incorrectly use them to try and demean other posters who aren't completely despondent. see every other thread re: wake basketball.

race to the bottom.

congrats y'all.

Seems like the trend is for more and more Juniors to declare and not hire an agent. I think folks might be making too big a deal about this. In fact, I think the AD not drafting a full press release and Manning not making any public comments about it are more about not making a big deal about this than they are about some sort of internal strife, or whatever.

Just tuned in this thread. What draft did they enter? Bud Lite Draft?

Seems like the trend is for more and more Juniors to declare and not hire an agent. I think folks might be making too big a deal about this. In fact, I think the AD not drafting a full press release and Manning not making any public comments about it are more about not making a big deal about this than they are about some sort of internal strife, or whatever.

Did Ron or Manning do that when Collins declared and initially did not hire an agent? I don't remember myself

Wake Forest Basketball did tweet Crawford and Moore's plan to declare for the draft and not hire an agent.

Players testing the waters from a good team probably aren't considering leaving because they don't think they can win in college.

Very true. But I can consider a likely scenario for both Crawford and Moore where they stay in whatever draft scenario they perceive they are in and play in the G-League or overseas. That way they can try to make the guaranteed $75,000 salary and hope to improve enough to garner a couple of 10 day contracts. Or they could always go overseas.

I have a number of friends who have done the professional athlete journeyman europe thing (in a different sport), and while it is pretty cool to get paid to live the dream, it sounds like a pretty lonely and generally soul-crushing experience. You become immediately responsible for a number of things in your life that people used to do for you, and the sport literally becomes your job.

While there are lots of reasons for college basketball players not good enough for the NBA to leave early -- to get paid while young, fear of career-ending injuries, etc. -- I can speak from experience that the Wake Forest athlete lifestyle is pretty luxurious. Your life is pretty much planned for you if you want that, you get sweet bundles of cash a couple of times a week when you travel around the country (for free), tons of free meals and free snacks, incredible healthcare and trainers looking after you every second of the day. Tons of free gear. If you play a cool sport, you are worshipped on campus. If you play a non-revenue sport, odds are that every single student has that sport on their resume somewhere -- they don't worship you, but they are real into it. The actual school part kinda sucks, obviously, but the rest is something you'll never get back. Just some thoughts. Crawford and Doral will do whatever the hell they want.

This is correct. Playing across the pond can be very isolating.

An interesting dynamic has developed over the past 5 years in which European athletes and coaches have begun to see US college scholarships as a very desirable option. Judy Murray (Andy Murray’s mother) is a progressive voice and a big proponent of the college route for young athletes.

I have a number of friends who have done the professional athlete journeyman europe thing (in a different sport), and while it is pretty cool to get paid to live the dream, it sounds like a pretty lonely and generally soul-crushing experience. You become immediately responsible for a number of things in your life that people used to do for you, and the sport literally becomes your job.

While there are lots of reasons for college basketball players not good enough for the NBA to leave early -- to get paid while young, fear of career-ending injuries, etc. -- I can speak from experience that the Wake Forest athlete lifestyle is pretty luxurious. Your life is pretty much planned for you if you want that, you get sweet bundles of cash a couple of times a week when you travel around the country (for free), tons of free meals and free snacks, incredible healthcare and trainers looking after you every second of the day. Tons of free gear. If you play a cool sport, you are worshipped on campus. If you play a non-revenue sport, odds are that every single student has that sport on their resume somewhere -- they don't worship you, but they are real into it. The actual school part kinda sucks, obviously, but the rest is something you'll never get back. Just some thoughts. Crawford and Doral will do whatever the hell they want.

I believe Deacon guard C.J. Harris has had a very nice European career ever since he graduated in 2013. He has played in the German league, a Latvian team and in the 2015-16 season was with a Polish team that won the Cup and he was named the MVP. I believe currently he is in the Turkish Super League. Hard to say what monies he makes, but I would say he has done well.

I'll always have a soft spot for CJ and Travis McKie

Back