• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NBA Draft Thread - No Deacons Drafted

I'm confused by how much RJ hates the Sixers draft ...

The Zhaire Smith trade was brilliant. They got an equivalent level or even better long term prospect along with an unprotected first round pick they can now use as an asset for trades to strengthen the team later in the season. That's immediately one of the best available trade chips in the whole league. Alone, that's a very good deal. But they also freed up $1m in immediate cap space, which helps them carve out space for a max level guy this offseason and still have a bit of cap space to play with to squeeze an additional piece when they inevitably trade the first round pick they got.

Landry Shamet is an automatic upgrade on T.J McConnell, a knock down shooter and secondary ball handler to play backup PG or play alongside Simmons for extra ball handling. McConnell just wasn't good enough, and Shamet is a direct upgrade on that position.

I think the trade was good. I would have taken Bamba. Bamba + Collins and two 19 first rounders. They would suck again this year and they can use the two picks next year to jump start the rebuild. I think they missed out on a unicorn.

I'm confused by how much RJ hates the Sixers draft ...

The Zhaire Smith trade was brilliant. They got an equivalent level or even better long term prospect along with an unprotected first round pick they can now use as an asset for trades to strengthen the team later in the season. That's immediately one of the best available trade chips in the whole league. Alone, that's a very good deal. But they also freed up $1m in immediate cap space, which helps them carve out space for a max level guy this offseason and still have a bit of cap space to play with to squeeze an additional piece when they inevitably trade the first round pick they got.

Landry Shamet is an automatic upgrade on T.J McConnell, a knock down shooter and secondary ball handler to play backup PG or play alongside Simmons for extra ball handling. McConnell just wasn't good enough, and Shamet is a direct upgrade on that position.

Also agree with this. I loved the Bridges pick but when you can move from 10-16 and acquire an unprotected first rounder from an organization that is in severe flux (Heat) you take it. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if that pick alone is a top 10 selection.

Heat have no discernable plan forward and most of their good pieces are running out of contract time. Heat could end up bottom of the league in 2 years turning that pick into a massive asset.

I will be stunned if the Sixers have that pick 12 months from now, let alone in 2021. They will use it to land a player that can help them win now with the Embiid/Simmons window open.

I will be stunned if the Sixers have that pick 12 months from now, let alone in 2021. They will use it to land a player that can help them win now with the Embiid/Simmons window open.

I tend to agree. My point is that the pick is a really nice asset to have in the piggy bank.

Zhaire is such a cool player. I preferred him to both of the Bridges and posted as much on here a couple of months ago.

Yes, he's short and can't really dribble. But he's the best athlete in this draft. And unlike most freak athletes he has a great feel for the game and makes high IQ, winning plays. Has defensive awareness. He can pass. Of course he's going to need to make 3's but I think he get there. He never shot a 3's in games until two years ago and his jumper keeps looking better and better. Just turned 19.

Sixers were legitimately considering him as a top option at 10 and I think they would have been satisfied if he was the pick there. Brought him in for a 2nd visit. To get him, at 16th pick salary, and pick up an unprotected MIA first as a trade chip is a huge huge win.

For some reason I think Raja bell when I see Zaire Smith tape

Not bad but Bell wasn't a great leaper with this kind of bounce. Zhaire is a dunk contest champion type athlete. 1st in combine in vertical. 1st out of wings in 3/4 court sprint.

He's like a Zach Lavine athlete without the offensive creation but actually has basketball IQ, cares about defense, cares about winning, etc.

I love the Sixers trade. Smith's ceiling is a lot higher than Bridges', and to add an unprotected 1st in addition, is amazing.

2018 NBA Draft Thread - Will Moore or Crawford get drafted? Find out Thursday night!

So I’m not covering any new ground here but Crawford and Moore are not very good decision makers. Good luck to them now that what we all suspected has come to fruition

Last edited:
Jaren Jackson, Jr., has an absolutely electric smile.

6_7.gif

It's pretty dumb, as Steve Kerr and others are adamant about, that players who declare and don't get drafted can't come back to school. What is the point in that? Yeah, if everyone declares it makes it harder on scouts and GMs to sift through the heap, but that's what they get paid a lot of money to do.

Zhaire is such a cool player. I preferred him to both of the Bridges and posted as much on here a couple of months ago.

Yes, he's short and can't really dribble. But he's the best athlete in this draft. And unlike most freak athletes he has a great feel for the game and makes high IQ, winning plays. Has defensive awareness. He can pass. Of course he's going to need to make 3's but I think he get there. He never shot a 3's in games until two years ago and his jumper keeps looking better and better. Just turned 19.

Sixers were legitimately considering him as a top option at 10 and I think they would have been satisfied if he was the pick there. Brought him in for a 2nd visit. To get him, at 16th pick salary, and pick up an unprotected MIA first as a trade chip is a huge huge win.

Maybe, but what did Maria Taylor say about his ESPN ranking?

It's pretty dumb, as Steve Kerr and others are adamant about, that players who declare and don't get drafted can't come back to school. What is the point in that? Yeah, if everyone declares it makes it harder on scouts and GMs to sift through the heap, but that's what they get paid a lot of money to do.

is it an NBA rule or an NCAA rule?

The Sixers are ready to contend now. Bridges is ready. He's a winner and a leader. He gives the team latitude in trades. Zhaire Smith is totally unproven. He's an absolute project. If they get anything significant out of him over the next two years, it will be surprising.

The draft pick isn't that great. Unless the Heat blows up their team, it's most likely that it will be no better than a mid-round pick. That doesn't have a lot of value.

Shamet could be a good player, but it's very possible he could have been picked at #38 and cost less or the Sixers could have dropped down to a higher 2nd round pick and gotten a future 1st pick for their pick.

I think the trade was good. I would have taken Bamba. Bamba + Collins and two 19 first rounders. They would suck again this year and they can use the two picks next year to jump start the rebuild. I think they missed out on a unicorn.

They should have gotten a lot more for Doncic and taking Young is a huge gamble. If B12 coaches can figure out how to neutralize Young during the second half of the season, what do you think NBA staffs, playing with much better players will do?

Later, taking Spellman was also a mistake. He plays JC's position and they have other holes.

My favorite thing about sports drafts, people claiming what was good or bad before anyone steps on a field or court. Absolutely hilarious.

Doesn't it have to do with the fact that an agent is actively selling your brand, which supposedly isn't allowed in college basketball? If they just started paying college players, this is yet another issue that would go away.

My favorite thing about sports drafts, people claiming what was good or bad before anyone steps on a field or court. Absolutely hilarious.

This is a huge reason why I sort of really like the Sixers/Suns trade from the Sixers' trade. Zhaire Smith vs. Mikal Bridges? Who the eff knows. And who the eff knows whether the Sixers will have any meaningful PT to offer either player in 2018-19 given who they are supposedly targeting in free agency. So to also get a first-round pick in (potentially) the first year when HS players once again become eligible to enter the draft is a huge win from a team-building perspective.

Back