• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Commission on College Basketball recommendations

ESPN story here: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ollege-basketball-shares-recommendations-ncaa

I must say after watching The Looming Tower I pretty much hated Condoleezza Rice, but after these recommendations Condi is working her way out of the hate group.

This is a good start. This statement, in particular, is telling, and in my opinion it's absolutely the correct approach, ""Our focus has been to strengthen the collegiate model -- not to move toward one that brings aspects of professionalism into the game," Rice added."

If all of those recommendations are made, college basketball would improve. But half measures would continue most of the same problems.

Letting undrafted kids come back to school seems like a no-brainer, even if the logistics are difficult (e.g. what to do when a kid's scholly has already been taken by a grad xfer, etc).

I think a big point of the recommendations that kills this argument is that there should be more information given to players throughout high school and college stating "you're probably not going to make it to the NBA, we allow agents to contact the best people and its not like CAA is knocking down your door." After hearing that and then going undrafted, but being allowed to go back and finish the education, reality will start to set in and more players will focus on their education and being a student-athlete. Its about telling those fringe players who will likely never get a big contract to use basketball as a vehicle to improve your education and social status without taking on mind-numbing debt that many undergrads are now forced to.

Letting undrafted kids come back to school seems like a no-brainer, even if the logistics are difficult (e.g. what to do when a kid's scholly has already been taken by a grad xfer, etc).

Maybe the NBA could create a draft board of the players most likely to be drafted and make that available around the lottery. Or maybe the grad transfer period is pushed back to after the draft. We didn’t hear about Thompson until the first day of the Fall semester.

Mike's a very nice guy and wrote the ultimate column about Skip's death.

"Skip, though, always was in a delightful mood. He walked through life with a poet's soul and an Irishman's wink. He was a devoted father to his two sons, Mark and Scott, and deeply in love with his wife, Nancy. Skip was an avid reader of literature and frequently quoted his favorite authors and philosophers."

Last edited:

I absolutely support giving players stipends. However, getting paid for use of their likeness or other ways to make money is extremely dangerous and will be abused.

“an unconscionable waste of one of the rare openings when the tumblers of public and internal opinion clicked into place and real, tangible reform might have been possible.” Lennox lives!

I absolutely support giving players stipends. However, getting paid for use of their likeness or other ways to make money is extremely dangerous and will be abused.

It’s already abused by the universities. The money is going to be made off of likenesses. It’s just a matter of who gets the checks.

Back