• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Even more everyday racial discrimination!

Joe Van Gogh coffee shop cut ties with Duke University.
http://abc11.com/society/joe-van-go...o-employees-are-fired-over-rap-music/3460744/

"I believe it's the right thing to do to preserve Joe Van Gogh's brand independence without conditions," he said in a statement. "I have extended jobs to our entire team at our Duke on-campus store, either at one of our off-campus locations or at our production offices."

Roberts also said he reached out to the fired employees so that they can re-join the company.

"During the past several days, I have reflected on our core values and what I want to embrace and advocate as a small business owner," he said. "Joe Van Gogh has always been about bringing people together, not driving them apart. We are open to all people and we value people over our profits. We always have. For years, we have nurtured these values to the communities we serve, specifically through the strengths and talents of our staff of baristas."

That’s hilarious.

I can’t believe two people lost their job and a franchise closed on a college campus over a song playing in a coffee shop.

That makes no sense. Just change the song and be more conscious of the soundtrack in the future.

That’s hilarious.

I can’t believe two people lost their job and a franchise closed on a college campus over a song playing in a coffee shop.

That makes no sense. Just change the song and be more conscious of the soundtrack in the future.

The song is really bad though.

Everyday racial discrimination thread

So a white man sat in a Nigerian woman’s seat. He refused to give it up and got United to kick her off the flight. Shameful.

I put this on the map thread, but it works here too.

bfg2ndh786fz.png

I put this on the map thread, but it works here too.

bfg2ndh786fz.png

To be fair, I'd feeel pretty uncomfortable if either my 11 year old or 9 year old daughters were in a relationship anybody, even a white Christian.

This thread would be 15 pages of no racism stories if JH were here. #rip2parentheterohouseholds

That’s hilarious.

Seems like they realized they screwed up and are trying to distract with an even louder reaction, with the implication that staying with Duke would be unethical, so Duke must be unethical.

Add adopting a highway to the list of things black people get questioned by the police for doing.

Seems like they realized they screwed up and are trying to distract with an even louder reaction, with the implication that staying with Duke would be unethical, so Duke must be unethical.

The cynical take is they realized that they weren't going to sell much coffee on campus after this, and took the high road and left.

The romantic take is the owner had a Jerry Maguire moment

jerry_maguire.jpg

Jerry Maguire: [Narrating] two days later at our corporate conference in Miami a break through, a breakdown? No a breakthrough. I had so much to say and no one to listen and then it happened an unexpected thing: I began writing what they call a "mission statement" not a memo, a "mission statement", a suggestion for the future of our company a night like this doesn't come around very often. I seized it. What started out as one page slowly became twenty five, suddenly, I was my father's son again I was remembering the simple pleasures of this job: how I ended up here out of law school, the way a stadium sounds when one of my players performs well on the field the way we are meant to protect them in health and in injury with so many clients we've forgotten what's important I wrote, and wrote and wrote and I'm not even a writer I was even remembering the original words of my mentor the late great Dicky Fox, suddenly it was all clear: the answer was fewer clients and less money giving more attention to them, caring for them caring for ourselves. I'll be the first to admit it what I was writing was somewhat "touchy feely", I didn't care I had lost the ability to bullshit, it was the me I always wanted to be. I put the mission statement into a bag and took it to a copy mat in the middle of the night, printed a hundred and ten copies even the cover looked like The Catcher in the Rye. I entitled it:The things we think and do not say, The Future of our Business

Makes sense. Remember Carrie Underwood did time for keying a dude's car, busting his headlights, and slashing his tires.

I'll have to listen to this later, but it gives me a chance to post my favorite country music take:

[h=1]Steve Earle: Bad Country Music Just 'Hip-Hop for People Who are Afraid of Black People'[/h]https://www.nashvillescene.com/music/nashville-cream/article/20864796/steve-earle-bad-country-music-just-hiphop-for-people-who-are-afraid-of-black-people

To be fair, I'd feeel pretty uncomfortable if either my 11 year old or 9 year old daughters were in a relationship anybody, even a white Christian.

Keep them away from a Trump event. They are getting into his preferred age range.

Back