• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NCAA National Tennis Championship Thread

Rubin has received several wild cards into majors:

- 2014 US Open (after his senior year in HS)
- 2016 Australian Open
- 2018 French Open
- This year's US Open.

The fact that he is from New York probably helps his WC chances in the US Open.

I believe he actually earned those Australian and French Open spots though, based on his Challenger performances.

I believe he actually earned those Australian and French Open spots though, based on his Challenger performances.

He also earned the previous US Open WC by winning the Kalamazoo junior national championship.

The mens ncca singles champ usually gets an invite to US Open but Petros doesn't because he's not American.

Anyone have insight as to why Gojo might have gotten the WC into the W-S Open main draw while Petros is in qualifying? Also no Noah Rubin?

Anyone have insight as to why Gojo might have gotten the WC into the W-S Open main draw while Petros is in qualifying? Also no Noah Rubin?

A similar question was posed on Twitter, and Noah Rubin retweeted it, which I thought was interesting.

Gojo over Petros could have been for many reasons. I think Petros has been a little banged up this summer, but nothing serious. It is also possible that Petros was able to get into the tournament on his own merit based on his ranking, even though it was in qualifying. Finally, maybe Gojo is truly starting his pro career, and therefore the main draw is more important to him right now.

Or perhaps Gojo is being rewarded for staying at Wake, hopefully

Petros definitely wasn’t 100% today and lost 3 and 2. Despite that, he played some incredible points. The guy he played is ranked 98 in the world and was really good. Petros is going to be a really good pro.

Skander played well too and lost in 3 sets. He has such a good serve.

Zlobinsky looked overmatched today, especially in the first set.

Is Gojo coming back to wake? He hasn’t said otherwise has he?

Gojo lost 2 and 4, but he played well. He had a few break chances and overpowered Harrison a fair amount. Harrison was frustrated that the crowd was pulling for Gojo.

Gojo hasn’t announced either way. All the other Wake players wore Wake gear this weekend, but Gojo didn’t. However, that also happened last year and Gojo still came back.

Rafi, I could be wrong but I think it is against NCAA rules to play a pro match while wearing clothes representing your university. That being said I have seen some matches recently where the shirt had a WF on the sleeve but not on the front. Skander can wear whatever he wants now that he has graduated. I'm not 100% positive on the rule, but I remember hearing this a few years ago in regards to some UVA guys playing pro events.

Gojo lost 2 and 4, but he played well. He had a few break chances and overpowered Harrison a fair amount. Harrison was frustrated that the crowd was pulling for Gojo.

Gojo hasn’t announced either way. All the other Wake players wore Wake gear this weekend, but Gojo didn’t. However, that also happened last year and Gojo still came back.

We will know soon about Gojo. Classes will be starting.

Rafi, I could be wrong but I think it is against NCAA rules to play a pro match while wearing clothes representing your university. That being said I have seen some matches recently where the shirt had a WF on the sleeve but not on the front. Skander can wear whatever he wants now that he has graduated. I'm not 100% positive on the rule, but I remember hearing this a few years ago in regards to some UVA guys playing pro events.

I don't think that's the case. What is the case is that the ATP and ITF have insanely detailed rules on what can be worn on court in regards to logo size and location. Petros and Skander both had on black Wake shirts with a small WF on the sleeve. Zlobinsky had a WF on his chest and they made him change it to one with WF on the sleeve. Gojo had a Lotto shirt - no Wake clothes.

IIRC, WF has added tennis players for the Spring semester in the past.

IIRC, WF has added tennis players for the Spring semester in the past.

Bresky has done this many times, especially with big time recruits. He did it with Petros and Gojo.

Other Wake updates from the WS Open:

- Skander is going to pursue a pro singles career
- Seraphim is going to pursue a pro career
- Botzer, Gadjiev, Nava, and Cungu were not present
- The new Cypriot, Melios, was present and training

Inside info from the AD.

Interesting on Seraphim. Skander has a shot with that serve, especially in dubs. I think he could become a VERY good pro dubs guy. I have seen zero activity this summer from Gadjiev and Botzer and very little from Nava and Cungu. I did see Melios on TV during the Gojo match. I hope he can slide into Skan's 3 spot.

Back