• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Vinyl and Turntables

CHDeac

Reaction score
My 14 YO is getting into vinyl and wants a turntable for his birthday.

We have an old stereo system (Yamaha receiver, Klipsch speakers) that I assume I can just buy a new turntable for. It also looks like you can get new turntables with an amp built in and just link to the speakers

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it simple and cheap? We also have several Sonos speakers if that makes a difference.

Clearly Im pretty ignorant how this all works.

Audio Technica AT-LP 60 would be a great entry level turntable. It’s fully automatic so all he has to do is push the start button and the arm will swing out and drop onto the record and it returns at the end.

Just plug it into your receiver and he’ll be ready to rock.

Depending on where you live, odds are there's a second-hand store nearby that sells vinyls. I built up my collection buying LPs at $1-2 a pop.

Depending on where you live, odds are there's a second-hand store nearby that sells vinyls. I built up my collection buying LPs at $1-2 a pop.

Places like Habitat for Humanity ReStore also have vinyl. Good way to get some (very, in some cases) old vinyl originals. Learn how to clean them. Amazing what a proper cleaning can do to restore listenability to a record.

Does your old receiver have a phono setup? Because you can't just plug in RCA cables into any old jack in the back and expect it to work. That said, I think the modern turntables may not require such a setup.

Do you all think it has better audio quality than listening to digital music?

Theoretically, it doesn't because digital is able to use more of the frequency spectrum. But there is a warmth to vinyl that doesn't really come through in digital recordings. Not sure what it is, but I suspect gobs has been written about it. Some is the production of the time and cutting off that extreme low end for mastering so the records won't skip. Some is probably the overproduction and brickwall mastering done in today's music. To my ear, it's the clarity from the lack of low end mud and the way the mids and highs sound via vinyl as opposed to digitally. It is, or at least it can be, more aesthetically pleasing to my ear. But if you take a modern recording and throw it on vinyl, I doubt I'll hear the difference.

Does your old receiver have a phono setup? Because you can't just plug in RCA cables into any old jack in the back and expect it to work. That said, I think the modern turntables may not require such a setup.

I think so. Need to check.

Correct. Need to match the output of the turntable to the correct input on the amp/receiver. Some old turntables had a built in pre-amp. Others did not. If you have too small a signal going in, you get nothing to your speakers. If you have too much you can blow your amp/receiver. That is why the older receivers had a multitude of possible inputs.

Just to clarify terminology, amp was simply that, an amplifier with input and output jacks. A receiver usually has an amp, pre-amp and radio tuner all combined into one unit, again with multiple input and output jacks. Sometimes it will include other sources of input like tape drives. The other piece of equipment (not so common) is the integrated amplifier, which combines the amp and pre-amp, but not the tuner.

Do you all think it has better audio quality than listening to digital music?

Theoretically, it doesn't because digital is able to use more of the frequency spectrum. But there is a warmth to vinyl that doesn't really come through in digital recordings. Not sure what it is, but I suspect gobs has been written about it. Some is the production of the time and cutting off that extreme low end for mastering so the records won't skip. Some is probably the overproduction and brickwall mastering done in today's music. To my ear, it's the clarity from the lack of low end mud and the way the mids and highs sound via vinyl as opposed to digitally. It is, or at least it can be, more aesthetically pleasing to my ear. But if you take a modern recording and throw it on vinyl, I doubt I'll hear the difference.

I'm an expert by no means, but most digital tracks have been remastered and in some cases are noticeably different than their vinyl counterparts.

Very good, accessible book on the history of recorded sound, if you are in to that sort of thing.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105762127

One thing to watch out for: Most of all the new repressings on vinyl of old records are done from digital files with the "warmth" and crackling and all, added in -- kind of an ersatz vinyl sound. Very weird. Also part of the reason new records/reissues of old things will cost you 30 bucks. It's all a racket. I like records, but I'm not crazy. Anyway, you should be able to find a bunch of dope shit at the thrift store or in the bargain bin. There's a whole crazy world out there.

I'm an expert by no means, but most digital tracks have been remastered and in some cases are noticeably different than their vinyl counterparts.

Yes, you have to master them differently, but I think that primarily involves tapering off the low end with a high pass filter. Probably involves more than that, but that's definitely a big part of it. But a remaster is not a remix, so the gist of the mix remains the same, just less thump and maybe less high end frequencies too.

ETA a link I found. High pass and low pass filters, sounds like (noted in link as low cut and high cut filters, which are the same things). https://www.gottagrooverecords.com/vinyl-mastering/

Last edited:
If you're looking to keep it simple and cheap (which is a relative term in the world of vinyl), go to your local record store and chances are they'll have used/repaired equipment for sale and ready to play. Take a picture of the back of your receiver before you go so you know exactly what you need. As ELC mentions, in addition to the turntable, your receiver may also require you to buy a pre-amp. The AT-LP60 that leftcoast recommended has a built-in preamp that you can switch on/off, so it should be compatible with your receiver whether or not it has a phono setup.

As for the turntable itself, it depends on how your son wants to experience the music. If he just wants to put the record on and push a button, he'll want an automatic turntable as leftcoast described. If he wants to be more involved with his records, maybe a manual setup is what he'd like. For a manual setup, I highly recommend the U-Turn Orbit as a starter kit. While not as affordable as the AT-LP60, in the world of vinyl, a $179 turntable is still dirt cheap.

The days of finding good titles in excellent condition for a buck or two are long gone. Anything in good shape starts at $5ish and more likely in the $7 to $10 range. As for turntables dont do target / walmart crosley stuff.

If you had an old time stereo cabinet like below, could you retrofit it with a newer turntable?

maBbww5e1yCi5yq8E0FTt3A.jpg

If you had an old time stereo cabinet like below, could you retrofit it with a newer turntable?

maBbww5e1yCi5yq8E0FTt3A.jpg

That is a sweet cabinet. Why are you needing to replace the turntable? Unless it isn't working properly, I'd keep it.

You should be able to fit a new turntable in there. Just be aware of the above discussion regarding amp/pre-amp/turntable compatibility. For that nice a cabinet put a good turntable in it.

That cabinet is just one I pulled off Craigslist as an example. I have been wanting to go back to a turntable for a while and my in-laws actually have an RCA cabinet similar to it but their turntable doesn't work. I have been looking at Audio Technicas for a while now.

The challenge may be hooking a new-ish turntable up to those speakers. Unless you plan to replace the speakers as well.

Audio Technica AT-LP 60 would be a great entry level turntable. It’s fully automatic so all he has to do is push the start button and the arm will swing out and drop onto the record and it returns at the end.

Just plug it into your receiver and he’ll be ready to rock.

I bought this one for my GF over Christmas and it works great, would recommend to all my fellow hipsters.

Back