• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maxine Waters has flipped her wig

i think GOP probably gains seats by scaring voters with the images of hordes of poi eating Hawaiians and Eskimos reducing the voting power of original 48 staters

Edited to show how ridiculous it sounds.

So what is the argument that Americans in DC and PR shouldn’t have equal representation to someone in Wyoming or Montana?

lol ok

im not arguing they shouldn't. just that it's not a great idea for a platform.

lol ok

im not arguing they shouldn't. just that it's not a great idea for a platform.

I just have to disagree with you on that point. I'm not saying someone in a House district in Wisconsin or Ohio needs to put as their second platform bullet point: "Statehood for DC and Puerto Rico," but as a whole party platform, absolutely I think it is a great idea. For literally 50 years, Republicans have made Democrats argue fallacies such as "Dems are soft on crime," "Dems want to take your religion away," and many more things that aren't true. But the point isn't that they aren't true, it's that Democrats have to spend time, money, and air defending against an attack that isn't true.

Consider the following completely hypothetical situation:

Tight race in House District in Pennsylvania, late October. Republican nominee gets asked, "Do you believe that D.C. and Puerto Rico deserve statehood and full representation in Congress, and would you vote to approve their statehood as a member of the House?" Make the Republican either say yes, which is a win for Democrats in the long run, or make the Republican say no, at which point the messaging becomes really straightforward: "[Republican nominee's name] does not feel that citizens of D.C. and Puerto Rico deserve to have their voices heard and represented, why would he think yours do?" or something along those lines. Even if that question and that idea isn't incredibly impactful in that specific race, getting Republicans to take a position on the topic could add up over time and be beneficial to Democrats nationwide.

I guess my overall point here is I don't see how it hurts Democrats to offer it as part of the platform, but I really see how it could help them. You disagree and your opinion has as many merits as I think mine does.

I just have to disagree with you on that point. I'm not saying someone in a House district in Wisconsin or Ohio needs to put as their second platform bullet point: "Statehood for DC and Puerto Rico," but as a whole party platform, absolutely I think it is a great idea. For literally 50 years, Republicans have made Democrats argue fallacies such as "Dems are soft on crime," "Dems want to take your religion away," and many more things that aren't true. But the point isn't that they aren't true, it's that Democrats have to spend time, money, and air defending against an attack that isn't true.

Consider the following completely hypothetical situation:

Tight race in House District in Pennsylvania, late October. Republican nominee gets asked, "Do you believe that D.C. and Puerto Rico deserve statehood and full representation in Congress, and would you vote to approve their statehood as a member of the House?" Make the Republican either say yes, which is a win for Democrats in the long run, or make the Republican say no, at which point the messaging becomes really straightforward: "[Republican nominee's name] does not feel that citizens of D.C. and Puerto Rico deserve to have their voices heard and represented, why would he think yours do?" or something along those lines. Even if that question and that idea isn't incredibly impactful in that specific race, getting Republicans to take a position on the topic could add up over time and be beneficial to Democrats nationwide.

I guess my overall point here is I don't see how it hurts Democrats to offer it as part of the platform, but I really see how it could help them. You disagree and your opinion has as many merits as I think mine does.

it hurts by giving more ammo to GOTV for centrist republicans put off by beltway stereotypes and general threats to the norm. maybe i'm over concerned.

FWIW, PR has 3x the population of pointless incorporation of land, Rhode Island. DC is strange - they deserve representation but not a full two senators. that's incredibly dumb.

it hurts by giving more ammo to GOTV for centrist republicans put off by beltway stereotypes and general threats to the norm. maybe i'm over concerned.

FWIW, PR has 3x the population of pointless incorporation of land, Rhode Island. DC is strange - they deserve representation but not a full two senators. that's incredibly dumb.

Why doesn't D.C. deserve the full two senators? It has a higher population than both Wyoming and Vermont, less than 100,000 fewer than Alaska and North Dakota, and is the nation's capital. I find it hard to believe that thinking D.C. deserves full representation is dumb, let alone incredibly dumb.

You're right on all these points.

And nothing is going to get out the Trump voter quicker than granting a bunch of Puerto Ricans statehood. "The Bronx is 25% Puerto Rican ! How's that going ?"

I take that back. Granting statehood to Chocolate City might mobilize them slightly faster.

Why doesn't D.C. deserve the full two senators? It has a higher population than both Wyoming and Vermont, less than 100,000 fewer than Alaska and North Dakota, and is the nation's capital. I find it hard to believe that thinking D.C. deserves full representation is dumb, let alone incredibly dumb.

ok, then what's stopping LA, Chicago, NY and every major city requesting statehood on that argument

ok, then what's stopping LA, Chicago, NY and every major city requesting statehood on that argument

That's a straw man argument. I'm not advocating that cities with large populations request statehood. I'm saying that D.C., which is not part of any state and is a fully independent district, should at least consider requesting statehood, and that Democrats should advocate for that occurrence.

That's a straw man argument. I'm not advocating that cities with large populations request statehood. I'm saying that D.C., which is not part of any state and is a fully independent district, should at least consider requesting statehood, and that Democrats should advocate for that occurrence.

hm, no it isn't. you can't just waive it off because you don't like it. why shouldnt a mega city have it's own rep in the federal government? NYC is an economic powerhouse and it's denizens' intersts are vastly different from those in the wilderlands. Same for any state where the Big City dominates the politics of the state.

DC residents dont' have representation but just incorporate it with virginia or maryland, or split between the two states

Last edited:
hm, no it isn't. you can't just waive it off because you don't like it.

they don't have representation but just incorporate it with virginia or maryland, or split between the two states

My argument was that D.C. as an independent district (really, a U.S. territory) that is not part of an U.S. state and has its own government should request statehood. You countered by asking why all large cities don't request statehood, even though they are already part of U.S. states and therefore have full representation in Congress, which is a misrepresentation of my original argument, but one that is easier to win. Textbook straw man.

If there were an act of Congress to make D.C. part of Virginia or Maryland rather than an independent district, I'd be fully on board. The basis of my desire to see D.C. get statehood (other than obvious political gains) is that it's always bothered me that citizens of our nation's capital don't have a voice in Congress.

sure, i'm just saying that giving them statehood is the worst possible way to solve that problem.

My argument was that D.C. as an independent district (really, a U.S. territory) that is not part of an U.S. state and has its own government should request statehood. You countered by asking why all large cities don't request statehood, even though they are already part of U.S. states and therefore have full representation in Congress, which is a misrepresentation of my original argument, but one that is easier to win. Textbook straw man.

If there were an act of Congress to make D.C. part of Virginia or Maryland rather than an independent district, I'd be fully on board. The basis of my desire to see D.C. get statehood (other than obvious political gains) is that it's always bothered me that citizens of our nation's capital don't have a voice in Congress.

That’s fine with me too. I’d be fine absorbing PR into FL for that matter.

Not everything is about politics. Often it’s about basic rights and representation.

hm, no it isn't. you can't just waive it off because you don't like it. why shouldnt a mega city have it's own rep in the federal government? NYC is an economic powerhouse and it's denizens' intersts are vastly different from those in the wilderlands. Same for any state where the Big City dominates the politics of the state.

DC residents dont' have representation but just incorporate it with virginia or maryland, or split between the two states

Because all other mega cities are part of a sovereign state whereas DC is solely under the sovereignty of the federal government? It’s a pretty obvious distinction.

I’m all for redrawing the U.S. but that’s an entirely different discussion than whether to admit existing federal territories as States.

That’s fine with me too. I’d be fine absorbing PR into FL for that matter.

Not everything is about politics. Often it’s about basic rights and representation.

I wouldn’t. PR and DC are separate governments with separate histories, cultures, and traditions than neighboring states.

The citizens of our nation’s capital would rather go on without a voice in Congress than become part of VA or MD, thank you very much.

The citizens of our nation’s capital would rather go on without a voice in Congress than become part of VA or MD, thank you very much.

lol

I'm from Kansas, so I can't say I'm familiar with the pros and cons of being from either of those states.

Back