• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Bball OOC Announced

Don't confuse the fact that [Redacted] lost to them 3 times and Manning once for this year's Richmond game being a tough one. We are 6/10 over the last 10 years, but they are still an awful team. We may lose, but that says more about us than it does about Richmond.

You know I don't put too much stock in our prospects this year, but was just noting that at least there are a couple of tough road tests on the sked, unlike what Jimmy B typically does, rarely leaving the "comfy" confines of the Carrier Dome prior to the conf sked. I realize Richmond isn't as good as they have been in the past, but I also remember struggling there on a couple of occasions when we had Odom and Childress etc, and no one thought the Spiders were worth a damn then. Something about that place...

Absolute shit teams at home, a game we have no chance at on the road, and two games (Davidson/Richmond) that could be competitive. There's ZERO expectation of making the tournament this year based on this schedule.

Gonna probably need to go 11-7 in conference with some quality wins to overcome this OOC schedule. And I think we can put those odds somewhere at <1%.

So, for those who have trended Manning-wait&see, what's your take on a schedule that indicates Manning and Wellman have no expectations of success this year?

I didn't think it could get much lower than the [ ]'s years, but we are slipping below that now. We are getting really close to needing to redact the name of a 2nd coach unless he works miracles this year.

You know I don't put too much stock in our prospects this year, but was just noting that at least there are a couple of tough road tests on the sked, unlike what Jimmy B typically does, rarely leaving the "comfy" confines of the Carrier Dome prior to the conf sked. I realize Richmond isn't as good as they have been in the past, but I also remember struggling there on a couple of occasions when we had Odom and Childress etc, and no one thought the Spiders were worth a damn then. Something about that place...

True. I hated playing them at Richmond back before this current 10 year streak.

Is this really year 10 in a row?? No wonder I'm sick of the Spiders. Time to play JMU or some other VA based "colonial" school. Or GMU cuz their mascot is funny and would be an interesting juxtaposition with the Deacon. That's how we should sked our OOC opponents...whether their mascots are cool or funny lookin'.

Glad we get the Skip Prosser classic back in 2019.

I don't have any problem with an easier schedule. We aren't going to be good, and we saw last year what can happen when your confidence gets shot to pieces in the early going. Yeah, they're cupcakes and you would want your team to be able to fight through the adversity, but the fact of the matter is we didn't. We're #foreverYoung, so it is what it is. It's just sad that's where we're at right now.

Last edited:
Wake has only not played Richmond like 3 times since the 1980s.

I mean, they're also known for actually winning tournament games and whatnot.

Yes but everyone knows that post-season success is directly correlated to having the proper-sized venue. Syracuse nailed it by closing Manley Fieldhouse and moving in to the Carrier Dome. Smooth sailing ever since.

#265 Cornell wraps up the OOC slate.

glad they kept everyone on the edge of their seats for Gardner Webb and Cornell.

Last year WF went 7-5 OOC.

Based upon this year's schedule, WF will be prohibitive favorites in at least 6 OOC games, all 6 of those teams have current KP ratings of 261 or below (last year, WF played only 3 games against teams with a KP of 260 or below). WF will be a slight favorite at Richmond, Davidson at home will be close to a pick, and WF will be a big dog at Tennessee. In the Myrtle Beach tourney, WF has the 3rd best returning KP rating (but there are a lot of teams in the 100 to 200 range); so, if form holds WF would go 2-1 at the beach. So, it looks like 9-3 is the most likely OOC record with 10-2 and 8-4 equally possible. With the ACC slightly weaker than last year, would peg 15.5 wins as a fair over/under for this team next year; which translates to a 9-3 OOC mark and 6-12 ACC record, heading into what will likely be close to a pick 'em game against another ACC bottom half team in the ACC tourney to get to 16 wins.

Last edited:
Glad there are a few left who care. Serious o/u on Wake fans who actually still care like those on this thread do about hoops? 200? 300?

I could be open to that. His wife is from Rke I believe.

Is this really year 10 in a row?? No wonder I'm sick of the Spiders. Time to play JMU or some other VA based "colonial" school. Or GMU cuz their mascot is funny and would be an interesting juxtaposition with the Deacon. That's how we should sked our OOC opponents...whether their mascots are cool or funny lookin'.

Be careful what you wish for - Liberty would meet those criteria. If you're looking for a comparable school, William & Mary would be a logical choice.

So, is RChill's best chance at winning the bet now for a Manning to be fired or get really sick/injured before the season begins? I don't see a way that this schedule gets us into the tournament unless we knock off a lot of ranked teams.

So, is RChill's best chance at winning the bet now for a Manning to be fired or get really sick/injured before the season begins? I don't see a way that this schedule gets us into the tournament unless we knock off a lot of ranked teams.
I thought the bet was not only making the tournament but a top 8 seed.

Back