• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Under-Appreciated Deacons

Maybe we should we add Charlie "CD" Davis to the list. A reader of the Fayetteville observer sent a question asking where Charlie Davis is, and according the WFU athletics dept. no one knows; last reported in New Nersey a while back.
Hard to fathom that the university would lose touch with one of its all-time greats and a former assistant A.D. But OTOH, maybe CD has intentionally gone underground and doesn't want to be reached.

He was fired abruptly by A&T in 2004.

Maybe we should we add Charlie "CD" Davis to the list. A reader of the Fayetteville observer sent a question asking where Charlie Davis is, and according the WFU athletics dept. no one knows; last reported in New Nersey a while back.
Hard to fathom that the university would lose touch with one of its all-time greats and a former assistant A.D. But OTOH, maybe CD has intentionally gone underground and doesn't want to be reached.

Watching Charlie play was one of the college highlights for me. With all due respect to his teammates, he seemed like a 1-man team at times when McCloskey ran the 1-4 offense for him. Charlie sold at auction his Wake jersey and ACC player of the year award about 4-5 years ago. I bought his jersey.

Is that the 4 OT game? Likely fixed? Would seem hard to do.[/QUOTE

You are right it was the 4 OT game. My recollection is that the game was at State which was probably a pretty big favorite. Ralph kept going around Shackelford like he was standing still. If the points were shaved, State wanted to win but not cover what ever the spread was.

I didn't attend the game, my daughter did, did watch it on TV, but don't recall many specifics. It was played in G-boro and I recall Wake lost. In a 4 OT game there were a number of swings in 'MO' doubting the final outcome, especially in the OTs.

Is that the 4 OT game? Likely fixed? Would seem hard to do.[/QUOTE

You are right it was the 4 OT game. My recollection is that the game was at State which was probably a pretty big favorite. Ralph kept going around Shackelford like he was standing still. If the points were shaved, State wanted to win but not cover what ever the spread was.

The 4OT game was not the game where point shaving was supposedly going on - it was the game at State. The 4OT game was a home game (G'boro) for Wake.

Leaping LeRoy McDonald on the 1977 Final 8 team and 1978 ACC finals team

I didn't attend the game, my daughter did, did watch it on TV, but don't recall many specifics. It was played in G-boro and I recall Wake lost. In a 4 OT game there were a number of swings in 'MO' doubting the final outcome, especially in the OTs.

I was there for it. The worst moment was someone for State missing a foul shot on purpose at the end of the 2nd or 3rd OT and Rodney Monroe getting the rebound and sticking the shot for the game to continue on. I think that was Staak's last regular season game at Wake.

Thanks. I also think that is the contest that started, and still continues, the question to foul if up 3 with only seconds remaining to (hopefully) avoid a 3 point shot to tie from opponent.

I was there for it. The worst moment was someone for State missing a foul shot on purpose at the end of the 2nd or 3rd OT and Rodney Monroe getting the rebound and sticking the shot for the game to continue on. I think that was Staak's last regular season game at Wake.

Google tells me now that the missed FT was at the end of regulation. My admittedly faulty memory is that Monroe's shot was from fairly close to the basket. The AP story I found confirmed the visual image I had of his falling backwards as he put up the shot.

I was surprised nobody mentioned Visser

But Big E takes cake at C over Visser to me

Big E highly overrated. Had one really good season in 2004-05 when he had CP3 feed him the ball in the exact right place to shoot. When CP3 left he was back to putting the ball on the floor and committing turnovers, but was still decent as a senior as he could shoot lights out from inside of 2 fee. Led the team in dunks but was also 49% from the FT line his senior year & 57% for his career. Definitely a lights out rebounder and chest pounder!

Overrated? But lights out rebounder (#6 in Wake history); Top 15 Wake scorer, top 5 in FG%, Top 8 in blocked shots and double/doubles and much more.

Yep, that sounds overrated.

A
Ronnie Watts, an under-sized center back In the day.

Ronnie is a real nice guy, Met him at Georgetown the night of the infamous Fairleigh Dickinson game in 1974. While it wasn't much of a game, the GT kids infamously posted racist banners targeting John Thompson who was a .500 coach at the time. And who could forget that wonderful AT&T long distance commercial with Ronnie and the great Bill Russell.

Frank Johnson
Mike Helms
Guy Morgan
Alvis Rogers
Jim Johnstone

It think Johnstone had a game where he held Ralph Sampson to 4 points

Back