• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 greatest films of all time

100 years of movies means approximately 5 per decade, which would mean 20 should be from the last 40 years. Then you look at the shit that has come out in the last 40 years and realize that 5 might be overstating it. The last 10-15 years have been nothing but superhero movies and remakes, so that time is pretty much lost. Honestly, what from the last 40 years would you consider to be a top 50 movie? The late 70s and 80s were most a wash of bad movies. The 90s were pretty good. Most of the 2000s has been dreadful.

Stand By Me, Fargo, Mulholland Drive, The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, E.T., Pans Labyrinth, Silence of the Lambs, Eternal Sunshine, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, The Shining, Seven, Heat, Terminator 2, The Matrix, LOTR, Children of Men, Toy Story, There Will Be Blood, Amelie, Fight Club, Old Boy, City of God, Wall-E, Blade Runner, Back To The Future, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, TDK.

I think a few more could be added to the list in a few years after consideration: Take Shelter, Moonlight, Black Swan, Get Out, Inside Llewyn Davis,

100 years of movies means approximately 5 per decade, which would mean 20 should be from the last 40 years. Then you look at the shit that has come out in the last 40 years and realize that 5 might be overstating it. The last 10-15 years have been nothing but superhero movies and remakes, so that time is pretty much lost. Honestly, what from the last 40 years would you consider to be a top 50 movie? The late 70s and 80s were most a wash of bad movies. The 90s were pretty good. Most of the 2000s has been dreadful.

lol at this take. 2007 was an INCREDIBLE year for film.

No Country
There Will Be Blood
Michael Clayton
Assassination of Jesse James
Before the Devil Knows Your Dead
Zodiac
Gone Baby Gone
Eastern Promises

Foreign
Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Lives of Others
Counterfeiters

What about that movie where the black kid in Florida gets a handjob ? I've been told that's one of the best movies ever.

Stand By Me, Fargo, Mulholland Drive, The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, E.T., Pans Labyrinth, Silence of the Lambs, Eternal Sunshine, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, The Shining, Seven, Heat, Terminator 2, The Matrix, LOTR, Children of Men, Toy Story, There Will Be Blood, Amelie, Fight Club, Old Boy, City of God, Wall-E, Blade Runner, Back To The Future, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, TDK.

I think a few more could be added to the list in a few years after consideration: Take Shelter, Moonlight, Black Swan, Get Out, Inside Llewyn Davis,

There are movies that people like, movies that are good, and movies that are timeless. I like a lot of those movies, but very few would I consider potential classics. Old Boy, T2, and The Matrix? C'mon. Those aren't classics. They're sensory candy, or at least T2 and Matrix are. Your list only reaffirms to me that the (mid) 90s were a brief bright spot in cinema. Pulp, Shawshank, and SPR are the best films on the list, ones worthy of an argument for inclusion. Toy Story is on AFI's top 100 (as are some of your other movies). It's a great film, no doubt, but not sure it's better than the old classic kid's films.

Moonlight and Black Swan won't ever make a top 250 list. Black Swan was a pretty good, but a mess. Moonlight is a product of the times, a movie that gets a double boost by being both gay and minority themed. Brokeback was 10 times more coherent and the better film and still wasn't worthy of an Oscar outside of Heath Ledger's performance and Anne Hathaway's tits. You could make the argument that Moonlight won because Brokeback didn't.

lol at this take. 2007 was an INCREDIBLE year for film.

No Country
There Will Be Blood
Michael Clayton
Assassination of Jesse James
Before the Devil Knows Your Dead
Zodiac
Gone Baby Gone
Eastern Promises

Foreign
Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Lives of Others
Counterfeiters

No Country was great, potentially an all-time great. Hell or High Water was the same to me. Modern western with a real authentic feel.

I love PTA, but There Will Be Blood was harder to sit through than Magnolia, and that's saying something. In fairness, Magnolia improved in subsequent viewings.

The movies mydeacinmyhand are lightweights compared to that top 50 list

It’s just so

Great movies yes but not on that list

They are like Scarlett Johansson to Grace Kelly

The movies mydeacinmyhand are lightweights compared to that top 50 list

It’s just so

Great movies yes but not on that list

They are like Scarlett Johansson to Grace Kelly
There are plenty of top 50-100 lists that differ from the one you posted. Its all subjective.

I think movie snobs are worse than music snobs. Zero chance ELC and Moonz are going to sit though all of L’Atalante (unless it has tits, I don't know) and come away saying that is a Top 50 all-time film without lying to themselves. It may be an important film, and influential film, but come the fuck on. Nobody is buying it.

Of course, but as a lover of cinema you get my point
Eh. I own half of those films and think most of them are great, but that list is certainly biased with critical reverence for original sources and late b&w film making.

I think movie snobs are worse than music snobs. Zero chance ELC and Moonz are going to sit though all of L’Atalante (unless it has tits, I don't know) and come away saying that is a Top 50 all-time film without lying to themselves. It may be an important film, and influential film, but come the fuck on. Nobody is buying it.

lol

I watched Sunrise for the AFI 100 marathon I'm doing and it was excruciating. Currently sits dead last on my rerank. I just couldn't do it.

this is the damn truth

google doesn't seem to come up with any hits for 'tits' with L'Atalante (unless you count topless men). Vigo's other popular film about Nice does have a naked babe in it

google doesn't seem to come up with any hits for 'tits' with L'Atalante (unless you count topless men). Vigo's other popular film about Nice does have a naked babe in it

A movie about the French Atlanta ? No thanks.

Fortunately, I'm much more a music snob than a movie snob, although far less a music snob than I was 10 years ago.

You're correct in this case, particularly about tits. Some of the old movies I don't get the love for, but watching all of them on both AFI lists and the documentaries that often came with the DVDs gave me a deep appreciation of film's history and how Hollywood operated within the parameters of the time.

I might be a movie snob compared to people who watch literally everything and buy every shit B horror title that comes out at walmart every week. I'm snobbish about people who say movies are for escapism - the type of people who get angry at movies with ambiguous endings.

Back