• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...jones-basketball-ucf-tale-20180813-story.html
Shannon Green
Orlando Sentinel
8/14/18

There’s an old saying my father-in-law loves to share with his nine grandchildren that goes something like this, “You can get yourself in more trouble in 30 seconds than it takes to get out of in 30 years.”

Never were there truer words than in the case of former UCF assistant basketball coach Jamill Jones...

...You expect coaches to lead young people in making good decisions. Instead, he’ll serve as a cautionary tale for student-athletes about what can happen when you make a rash, selfish decision.

No matter what words were spoken that night, no matter what fear, anger or anxiety Jones experienced from a random stranger knocking on his car window, he should have never left his vehicle.

One bad moment, one bad decision, one lethal punch that took less than 30 seconds to deliver devastated multiple lives for a lifetime.

I've been avoiding this incident since the initial reports so forgive the following questions....

1) What was Jones doing in that section of Queens, NY at 1:30 a.m. ?

2) Was he in fact parked, at a red light or slowly driving his car ?

3) Did he witness the local citizen getting punched in the face ?

4) Where is this citizen and in what condition is he....and, was he ko'd and not a witness to the Jones punch ?

5) Do we know if the deceased threw the first punch at Jones....and missed ?

6) Why was the deceased allowed to get so drunk by the reported family/friends and not with him/assisting him outside the home/building/premises he was leaving ?

7) When did police and presumedly an ambulance arrive on the scene ?

thanks

I've been avoiding this incident since the initial reports so forgive the following questions....

1) What was Jones doing in that section of Queens, NY at 1:30 a.m. ?

2) Was he in fact parked, at a red light or slowly driving his car ?

3) Did he witness the local citizen getting punched in the face ?

4) Where is this citizen and in what condition is he....and, was he ko'd and not a witness to the Jones punch ?

5) Do we know if the deceased threw the first punch at Jones....and missed ?

6) Why was the deceased allowed to get so drunk by the reported family/friends and not with him/assisting him outside the home/building/premises he was leaving ?

7) When did police and presumedly an ambulance arrive on the scene ?

thanks

those are all good questions, along with:

8) Did Jones notify anyone within the AD at any time during the ~100 hours between the incident and the time that he turned himself into the police in Queens, and if so, who?

I don't believe any credible answers have been reported

those are all good questions, along with:

8) Did Jones notify anyone within the AD at any time during the ~100 hours between the incident and the time that he turned himself into the police in Queens, and if so, who?

I don't believe any credible answers have been reported
We have the answer to this one, it would seem. The timeline is not as compressed as I had originally understood it to be with regards to Jones learning of the situation and turning himself in. Jones arranged to turn himself in on Tuesday and it was after business hours on Thursday when Wake tweeted that they had just learned of the situation. He presumably left Winston on Wednesday or Thursday morning. Les was on campus around the program on Thursday and said he had no indication that anything was up.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/us/wake-forest-coach-charges/index.html
Jones' attorney, Alain Massena, told CNN on Thursday night that Jones learned through social media on Tuesday that Szabo had been injured and police were seeking a suspect. Massena contacted police Tuesday and arranged for Jones to turn himself in Thursday morning.

I suppose Wake could just be straight up lying?

Last edited:

I just assumed this was the case. I'm sure someone knew. But not like they could release a statement before he turned himself in? And what were they going to say but we just found out and aren't going to comment while investigation is ongoing?

No matter what words were spoken that night, no matter what fear, anger or anxiety Jones experienced from a random stranger knocking on his car window, he should have never left his vehicle.

See the huge assumption here that would transfer all the blame to Jones? This implies Jones was in a stopped vehicle, and Szabo was on the driver's side in Jones' vision when he knocked on the window, so that Jones was completely rash and irrational to even get out of his car. IIRC, initial witness accounts said Szabo was "banging" on vehicles. If Jones were in a moving vehicle, and heard a "bang" on his vehicle on the passenger side, it would not be irrational to get out to assess damage or to see if he hit something. There is going to be no witness for what occurred at that moment in time to make Jones get out, but it seems unlikely that Szabo's actions were completely innocent and Jones just roid raged when Szabo tapped on his window.

Wake could definitely be straight up lying regarding when they knew about this stuff. No question at all.

We have the answer to this one, it would seem. The timeline is not as compressed as I had originally understood it to be with regards to Jones learning of the situation and turning himself in. Jones arranged to turn himself in on Tuesday and it was after business hours on Thursday when Wake tweeted that they had just learned of the situation. He presumably left Winston on Wednesday or Thursday morning. Les was on campus around the program on Thursday and said he had no indication that anything was up.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/us/wake-forest-coach-charges/index.html

I have no insider information, but I think a healthy dose of skepticism is prudent

I just assumed this was the case. I'm sure someone knew. But not like they could release a statement before he turned himself in? And what were they going to say but we just found out and aren't going to comment while investigation is ongoing?

It seems like we would have had a slightly more prepared statement and plan of action to place him on leave immediately. What benefit comes from appearing blindsided and pretending to have a discussion with Jones the next day before placing him on leave? Why wouldn't you just time your announcement with the news breaking?

Last edited:
Am I correct that it is pretty well established fact that Szabo punched a resident prior to Jones punching him? If that is so, why do so few of the articles on the subject mention that? Out of all the people I have talked to about this case I am the only one that is even aware of that fact... Not saying that makes anything OK but it certainly changes the overall narrative.

Am I correct that it is pretty well established fact that Szabo punched a resident prior to Jones punching him? If that is so, why do so few of the articles on the subject mention that? Out of all the people I have talked to about this case I am the only one that is even aware of that fact... Not saying that makes anything OK but it certainly changes the overall narrative.

I wouldn't say that it's established as fact. I've seen everything from altercation with a resident (which could be nothing more than words), to punching a resident, to no mention at all. The same way that I've heard that Szabo was banging on cars or tapping on windows. Different stories say Jones helped Szabo and waited for help, while others say he left, and still others claim he fled. Different reports also seem to confuse the "resident" with the "17 year old" with the "man who helped Jones move Szabo"...I don't think it's really established how many people were involved. The only thing we know is that Szabo is dead and based on the information the police have, Jones is the only person charged.

Last edited:
The story has been all over the place.

Some/most newspaper accounts portray Szabo as a guy buzzing from a wedding reception tapping on car windows looking for his Uber who was sucker punched. At least one other account portrays Szabo as an out of control drunk who was "banging/damaging" random cars, assaulting at least one person and was essentially the instigator. Obviously, getting those facts straight are key and probably determinative of whether Jones will spend some serious time in the big house.

One other fact that has not been disclosed: what was Jones doing in this NYC neighborhood in the middle of the night? Also, who drives as a visitor in NYC? That was his first mistake.

It seems like we would have had a slightly more prepared statement and plan of action to place him on leave immediately. What benefit comes from appearing blindsided and pretending to have a discussion with Jones the next day before placing him on leave? Why wouldn't you just time your announcement with the news breaking?

The bolded part made me legit chuckle. This is the WF AD we're talking about.

The bolded part made me legit chuckle. This is the WF AD we're talking about.

Seriously. The WF AD only had 5 national championships last year. They need to get their act together.

Yeah, unless you are following this closely the narrative is that Szabo politely tapped on Jones car, and he got out sucker punched Szabo and left him to die. That doesn't seem like the situation at all, and the media in general hasn't portrayed this situation honestly at all.

You do understand that the AD is run by separate people than those responsible for the day to day of each individual program, right?

Sorry RChil, I've seen your work on other threads. I have no interest in getting into a semantics discussion with you.

Place him on leave without talking with him first?

Back