• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

Not to pile on but Ja'Sir had one of the worst games I ever recall seeing for one individual member of the secondary. Every time he was on screen he was getting beat, was out of position, and/or looked like he had no idea what he was doing.

Through the first 3 games he is the worst cornerback I've ever seen playing in a power 5 conference.

I was at the game last night and can confirm that our defense is really bad in person. It was also bad at the Belk Bowl last year, which I also saw in person.

Without a doubt if we still had Elko last season and this season we likely would've had 9 wins last year and been 3-0 this year. The offense is not the problem.

Be interesting to see what DC does. Not sure you can install a new system now, but boy is this one terrible. We do not stop the run or the pass. Last night we stacked the box and went one on one. Seldom blitzed and seldom put pressure on the QB. Epic fail from all standpoints. I do believe that BC had better personnel, but they also had better scheme on defense. They blitzed and put pressure on Hartman. Played press defense on the receivers and made life really difficult for Dortch. What did we do? Stacked the box and when BC did not run up the middle, gave up yardage and essentially played with no defensive backs. Just bad all around. Sawvel is beyond vanilla on his schemes and the d backs have no clue what they are suppose to do-- Bad coaching bad teaching. I think Clawson thought that coming from the Big 10 Sawval knew his ass from a hole in the ground--maybe he was sold a bill of goods. Needs to do what he can to fix it now and sack three coaches at the end of the season

losing Duke and Dunn the bigger problem in the passing game than losing Bates

Be interesting to see what DC does. Not sure you can install a new system now, but boy is this one terrible. We do not stop the run or the pass. Last night we stacked the box and went one on one. Seldom blitzed and seldom put pressure on the QB. Epic fail from all standpoints. I do believe that BC had better personnel, but they also had better scheme on defense. They blitzed and put pressure on Hartman. Played press defense on the receivers and made life really difficult for Dortch. What did we do? Stacked the box and when BC did not run up the middle, gave up yardage and essentially played with no defensive backs. Just bad all around. Sawvel is beyond vanilla on his schemes and the d backs have no clue what they are suppose to do-- Bad coaching bad teaching. I think Clawson thought that coming from the Big 10 Sawval knew his ass from a hole in the ground--maybe he was sold a bill of goods. Needs to do what he can to fix it now and sack three coaches at the end of the season

To be fair, until Harris tore you guys up last night that was basically the playbook to stop BC. Pretty sure it's exactly what WF did last year to the tune of a 34-10 victory.

We still had some of Elko's residue on our defense then. Plus Brown's first ACC start

losing Duke and Dunn the bigger problem in the passing game than losing Bates

All 3 were big losses. Those guys could play, but we still gave up too many points last year with them on the team. Our D-line seems mostly good again this year, it really has been problems in the Secondary over these past 2 seasons. Not sure if its the DB coaches or Sawvel, but someone will be held accountable for the Secondary looking so bad over the last 15 games.

Except for the D-line coach, all of Wake's defensive guys are in their first or second season at Wake.

Elko and Clark Lea (LB coach) left for ND two years ago. Safeties coach left at at the same time. Don't know where he is, not at ND or Texas A&M. There is no continuity on the defensive side of the staff except for Cohen as the D-line coach. This defensive staff seems to not yet have gotten all on the same page.

It is not obvious from the coaching titles as to which assistant works with the Rovers. Linebackers coach or safeties coach?

I think Sawvel was overhyped coming in. His Minnesota defenses were for sure good, but the head coach at the time was Tracy Claeys who is a great defensive mind

Would love to be in the staff meeting today. If Sawvel says anything but "yes sir" he may be fired sooner than later. He has made his boss look bad. Remember all those quotes from Dave in preseason that the defense was going to be better, They had had a year to adapt to Sawvel's system and communication was going to much improved. Three games in looks like we were mislead. Probably DC too. Last night was the worst performance by a secondary I can remember at Wake. They were lost. Makes one wonder what they did in Fall camp? Just pitiful. Someone should have seen that these guys had no clue.

Well yeah, they're available. But wouldn't we rather have something moving up the ladder than hanging onto a rung?

Both Wake DB coaches came from way down the ladder, not just a rung or two down. Most of their coaching experience is in FCS land. Not even grad assistant time at a P5 school. Davidson, Bucknell, Rhode Island, Harvard. Ursinus, Delaware Valley College, Delaware (x2), Hofstra, Stoneybrook. Which of these places prepare for facing the likes of P5 QB's?

It is pretty obvious that the DB coaches are in over their heads.

Except for the D-line coach, all of Wake's defensive guys are in their first or second season at Wake.

Elko and Clark Lea (LB coach) left for ND two years ago. Safeties coach left at at the same time. Don't know where he is, not at ND or Texas A&M. There is no continuity on the defensive side of the staff except for Cohen as the D-line coach. This defensive staff seems to not yet have gotten all on the same page.

It is not obvious from the coaching titles as to which assistant works with the Rovers. Linebackers coach or safeties coach?

CB coach Derrick Jackson was a holdover from Grobe’s staff. He’s at Purdue as the CB coach. Chris Barclay is the RB coach. Elko was the safeties coach.

FWIW, Clawson was a DB in college. Sounded like he was going to be doing a lot of one on one work with DB's in the next week.

CB coach Derrick Jackson was a holdover from Grobe’s staff. He’s at Purdue as the CB coach. Chris Barclay is the RB coach. Elko was the safeties coach.

Prior to Wake, Jackson had Rice, Syracuse, Army, Northern Illinois on his resume. This array of coaching stops is much better preparation than the like of Delaware Valley College, Delaware, Rhode Island. Both DB coaches are learning on the job about how to coach DB's at the P5 level. They should have done some of their learning at schools in the AAC, CUSA or MAC.

The position coaches for the back 7 in 2016 (Elko, Jackson, Lea) all had significant D1 experience before coming to Wake and came directly from D1 schools.

The guys who replaced them (Hemphill, Crawford, Sherrod) either had no D1 experience (Hemphill, Crawford) or had been out of D1 coaching for about a decade (Sherrod had last coached D1 in 2007)

Position coaches can't coach what they don't know. Wake's two DB coaches are really inexperienced, and the experience they do have is at lower levels of college FB.

Mike Elko is a great coach. There is a reason why ND and Texas A&M shelled out major cash to lure him. That said, he did have NFL players at all three levels of the defense (Duke and Wendell Dunn on the DL; Marquel Lee at LB; Bates and KJ as DBs). Not absolving coaching of all of the defensive problems, but talent also plays a role.

Back