Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Mike Edwards .. Move to DT

  1. #1

    Mike Edwards .. Move to DT

    ?

    Itís a trope but the young man is a physical specimen. Far be it for me to suggest but I would be real curious to see what this young man could do if given some 2nd Team DL practice time against Ryan and Phil.

    Real OL time is unlikely for 2018. The loss of Bateman is not unnoticed. Edwards was dominant on the D-Line in HS. His highlights show an excitable and charismatic player.

    Obviously the coaches know - but you do have a strong and athletic kid who is 6í6.5 - 370 pounds who plays with a defenders attitude

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectro View Post
    ?

    Itís a trope but the young man is a physical specimen. Far be it for me to suggest but I would be real curious to see what this young man could do if given some 2nd Team DL practice time against Ryan and Phil.

    Real OL time is unlikely for 2018. The loss of Bateman is not unnoticed. Edwards was dominant on the D-Line in HS. His highlights show an excitable and charismatic player.

    Obviously the coaches know - but you do have a strong and athletic kid who is 6í6.5 - 370 pounds who plays with a defenders attitude
    Whatever results in consistent pressure on the QB

  3. #3
    Looking to next year, Iím more confident with our D line than O line. Edwards should be a key piece on the O line for the next 4 years. Heís good where he is.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    Looking to next year, Iím more confident with our D line than O line. Edwards should be a key piece on the O line for the next 4 years. Heís good where he is.
    Understood.

    But he is a force either way. He ďrounds-upĒ to 400 pounds and is a shade over 6 foot 6.

    He is not needed on the OL this year &

    He has 4 full games to compete in some way in order to help his team

    I am suggesting that it might possibly be worthwhile to experiment with Mike against our OL. Primarily because it is good scout work before facing the likes of Clemsonís interior. It would help Haynes and Anderson - in my opinion - and may surprise the staff just the way Dion Bergan has.

  5. #5
    Point taken. If he gets into the game as a DT without burning the shirt why not. But Iíd be equally as interested to see him get time on the OL.

  6. #6
    I donít think DT is a problem for us right now if nobody gets hurt. Zeek and Willie are a good tandem and Kamara is a solid player. I think DE is a issue. Right now Calhoun and Bashem is a step back from Duke and Wendell. Whereís the deal with Mike Allen, still hurt?
    boorish ruffian

  7. #7
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,468
    ^or a talent issue? Or attitude/behavior?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by liveanddiedeac View Post
    I donít think DT is a problem for us right now if nobody gets hurt. Zeek and Willie are a good tandem and Kamara is a solid player. I think DE is a issue. Right now Calhoun and Bashem is a step back from Duke and Wendell. Whereís the deal with Mike Allen, still hurt?
    Actually think we might be thin at DT with Bateman done. After Kamara, itís true freshman Bergan. We know itís hardest for true freshman to play on the lines.

    Manny Walker and Tyler Williams appear to be cemented as the first DEs off the bench. Is Zander Zimmer still on the roster?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsOrDie View Post
    Actually think we might be thin at DT with Bateman done. After Kamara, itís true freshman Bergan. We know itís hardest for true freshman to play on the lines.

    Manny Walker and Tyler Williams appear to be cemented as the first DEs off the bench. Is Zander Zimmer still on the roster?
    No, Zimmer was medically DQ'd in the spring, IIRC.

    Basically, the DTs on the roster are: Zeek, Willie, Kamara, Bergan - that's starters and backups. And then LaRonde Liverpool, a converted TE, Tyric Swennie, a preferred walk-on freshman, and Adam Winter, a walk-on R-Fr.

    So yes. Extremely thin on the D-line.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by CONeill View Post
    No, Zimmer was medically DQ'd in the spring, IIRC.

    Basically, the DTs on the roster are: Zeek, Willie, Kamara, Bergan - that's starters and backups. And then LaRonde Liverpool, a converted TE, Tyric Swennie, a preferred walk-on freshman, and Adam Winter, a walk-on R-Fr.

    So yes. Extremely thin on the D-line.
    Tyler Williams is big enough to play DT if we needed him to I think. Bottom line is we need Zeek and Willie to stay healthy!
    boorish ruffian

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by liveanddiedeac View Post
    Tyler Williams is big enough to play DT if we needed him to I think. Bottom line is we need Zeek and Willie to stay healthy!
    Tyler is listed at 300 lbs. If he isn't big enough, I don't know who would be. However, staff likes him at DE so I suspect that is where he will stay.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Tyler is listed at 300 lbs. If he isn't big enough, I don't know who would be. However, staff likes him at DE so I suspect that is where he will stay.
    I meant he may be forced to DT if anybody gets dinged up.
    boorish ruffian

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •