• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Andrew Sullivan: America Desperately Needs a Healthy Conservatism

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
But conservatism is more deeply besieged by the Republican Party, its alleged harbor. If you consider the themes I’ve emphasized above, it becomes clearer that the GOP is not only not conservative, but actually dedicated to destroying that tradition. Republicans pursue the ideology of free markets and lower and lower taxation, regardless of its brutal assault on fiscal solvency, human dignity, social cohesion, and community life. They have nominated and protected a president who assaults the norms that conservatives revere, has contempt for existing institutions and sees the rule of law as a means to advance his own interests, rather than that of the society as a whole.

This is a man and a party that has such disdain for conserving anything that it is actively despoiling our landscape, enabling a climate catastrophe. It is a party that has generated crippling and everlasting debt — even in good economic times — in a way that makes a mockery of any compact between generations. It is a party that actively endorses cruelty as a policy tool, deploys fear as its prime political weapon, and insists that the opposite party has no legitimate right to govern at all. It is the party of torture, the absolute nemesis of the liberal inheritance, the party of corruption, propaganda, vote suppression, and barely masked bigotry.

I despise it because I am a conservative. I don’t believe that conservatism can be revived on the right (it has been thankfully sustained, by default, by the Democrats in recent decades) until this hateful philistine would-be despot and his know-nothing cult is gone. And by revived, I do not mean a return to neoconservatism abroad or supply side crack-pottery at home. The 1980s and 1990s are over. I mean a conservatism that can tackle soaring social and economic inequality as a way to save capitalism, restore the financial sector as an aid to free markets and not their corrupting parasite, a conservatism that will end our unending wars, rid the criminal justice system of its racial blind spots, defend liberal education and high culture against the barbarians of postmodernism and the well-intentioned toxins of affirmative action, pay down the debt, reform the corruption of religious faith, protect our physical landscape, invest in non-carbon energy, and begin at the local level to rebuild community and the spirit of American civil association.

I know there’s no place for this in our current political climate. And that is why I believe this country is in as grave a crisis as any since the 1850s. Without a healthy conservatism, liberalism will degenerate. Without liberalism, conservatism has no inheritance to defend. And both rich veins in Western moderation are now under assault from the ideological left and the authoritarian right. We have to brave this pincer attack, conservatives and liberals together, or we will die together.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...g-conservatism.html?__twitter_impression=true

When did that conservatism exist? I keep seeing these calls to return to come conservatism but no one can seem to define when it actually existed.

The truth is people are finally realizing the faults conservatism has had all along but they can’t just give up that identity as a conservative.

There is no such thing as a healthy conservatism. These attempts at rehabilitation are so transparent.

There is no such thing as a healthy conservatism. These attempts at rehabilitation are so transparent.

Yep. Most of these columnists would be fine with someone executing Trump’s agenda as long as it wasn’t Trump himself. They’d rather have somebody who pretends they’re morally superior than have to pretend their president is morally superior.

This was entirely my point of why the hagiography of John McCain and the rehabilitation of Bush are so dangerous. None of these people have policy solutions that make a correct analysis of the root causes of inequality.

I think you misunderstood much of the McCain love. Democrats respected that he’s someone who could respectfully disagree as a statesman. I saw no appreciation for his policy positions, just the person. He was a respectable political opponent at a time of deplorables.

Yeah but I just can't stomach that because its too close to the "healthy conservatism" which we both seem to dismiss. I don't see the point in respectfully disagreeing with someone whose policy positions are responsible for the endless wars and trickle down economics that caused so much harm in the world.

Yeah but I just can't stomach that because its too close to the "healthy conservatism" which we both seem to dismiss. I don't see the point in respectfully disagreeing with someone whose policy positions are responsible for the endless wars and trickle down economics that caused so much harm in the world.

He wasn’t a dick even though he had dickish policies. Not hard to understand.

What is the point in celebrating that he "wasn't a dick" when his policies were so harmful?

What is the point in celebrating that he "wasn't a dick" when his policies were so harmful?

Because that’s what you do when people die.

Celebrate warmongers when they die, because, America!

He literally surprise divorced his first wife after she was handicapped in a car crash, he called his 2nd wife a trollop and cunt in front of journalists, he was part of the Keating 5 that bailed out a bank that defrauded people of billions because the bank donated to his campaign, "bomb bomb bomb Iran", are you getting this?

Last edited:
He literally surprise divorced his first wife after she was handicapped in a car crash, he called his 2nd wife a trollop and cunt in front of journalists, he was part of the Keating 5 that bailed out a bank that defrauded people of billions because the bank donated to his campaign, "bomb bomb bomb Iran", are you getting this?

Carol McCain was severely injured in December 1969. John McCain was released in April 1973 after 5 1/2 years of miserable treatment at the hands of the North Vietnamese. Carol was 4 inches shorter, much heavier and needed a wheelchair or crutches to get around when they reunited. They separated in January, 1980 and John filed for divorce in February 1980, 10 months after he started seeing Cindy, who became wife #2. If those circumstances make John an incredible asshole, what does that make the hundreds of thousands of US men who dump their wives each year?

Last edited:
Carol McCain was severely injured in December 1969. John McCain was released in April 1973 after 5 1/2 years of miserable treatment at the hands of the North Vietnamese. Carol was 4 inches shorter, much heavier and needed a wheelchair or crutches to get around when they reunited. They separated in January, 1980 and John filed for divorce in February 1980, 10 months after he started seeing Cindy, who became wife #2. If those circumstances make John an incredible asshole, what does that make the hundreds of thousands of US men who dump their wives each year?

Assholes, so so many of them are assholes, particularly ones who start "seeing" women 10 months before they seperate. Are you serious? What a terrible rebuttal on your part.

Persuasive.

You support a system that has never been successfully implemented anywhere for any moment in time in modern society. So it’s funny when you come on here bashing the conservative model that has lead to the worlds most successful economies.

You support a system that has never been successfully implemented anywhere for any moment in time in modern society. So it’s funny when you come on here bashing the conservative model that has lead to the worlds most successful economies.

It's not my fault you have a terribly naive view of American history and capitalism.

Back