• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at Florida State - October 20 3:30 ESPN2

Exactly. Bothers me when people attempt to trot out admissions standards as massive roadblock for WF athletics. WF does have rules that limit JC transfers, but that is about as far as WF goes to limit the pool of talent that the football or basketball team can bring in. If the player qualifies, even after not qualifying out of HS, but takes a PG year, WF will admit that player. The are several examples of WF admitting players that qualified by slim margins. WF had a 20 year run of success under GDO and Prosser, and academics were never a roadblock for WF going after whomever we wanted (again, including kids that had to take a PG year to qualify). Same story for football.

Respectfully Pilch….and briefly -

There are 2 other schools in the same situation as Wake....BC and Duke....in the ACC. Both have larger enrollments and larger endowments than Wake. As private schools all 3 have RB&T tabs of $60-65,000 per. The state schools have have massive enrollments, government authorized athletic budgets, 2-tier in-state/out of state RB&T tabs at 40 to 50% of what a Wake carries and wide ranging courses and majors available to plant athletes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt Wake rosters majors like Parks & Recreation or Waste Management.

Now, of BC, Duke and Wake - the smallest school - Wake has the smallest athletic budget annually.

We'll never have a 70,000 seat stadium or even a 44,000 seat stadium like BC ( who can't fill it ). Beating an absolute behemoth of a program like Texas A&M was unbelievable but we certainly caught them at the right time ( coachless in disarray ) and got lucky.

I'm beginning to ramble....hope I made a point here somehow.

Respectfully Pilch….and briefly -

There are 2 other schools in the same situation as Wake....BC and Duke....in the ACC. Both have larger enrollments and larger endowments than Wake. As private schools all 3 have RB&T tabs of $60-65,000 per. The state schools have have massive enrollments, government authorized athletic budgets, 2-tier in-state/out of state RB&T tabs at 40 to 50% of what a Wake carries and wide ranging courses and majors available to plant athletes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt Wake rosters majors like Parks & Recreation or Waste Management.

Now, of BC, Duke and Wake - the smallest school - Wake has the smallest athletic budget annually.

We'll never have a 70,000 seat stadium or even a 44,000 seat stadium like BC ( who can't fill it ). Beating an absolute behemoth of a program like Texas A&M was unbelievable but we certainly caught them at the right time ( coachless in disarray ) and got lucky.

I'm beginning to ramble....hope I made a point here somehow.

None of this shit has anything to do with winning football at Wake Forest. Size of endowment? Seriously? Of course athletic bugets are bigger than ours. We compete in a lot less sports. We get the same number of scholarships as Clemson and FSU. How hard is it to find 60 males that can play competitive football in the ACC. We trot out this academic elitism bullshit every time we go on an extended losing streak. It's a fucking excuse for losing and always has been.

None of this shit has anything to do with winning football at Wake Forest. Size of endowment? Seriously? Of course athletic bugets are bigger than ours. We compete in a lot less sports. We get the same number of scholarships as Clemson and FSU. How hard is it to find 60 males that can play competitive football in the ACC. We trot out this academic elitism bullshit every time we go on an extended losing streak. It's a fucking excuse for losing and always has been.

Athletic ability and commitment lead to success or failure which are affected by the depth of talent available. Our depth is always thin and depth is impacted by accurate public image we promote at WF that you must have academic ability to play which other state schools don’t require to the same degree. At a minimum WF adds an actual requirement to play which others do not require to the same degree. Ask any college level coach to refute this for the Dukes and Northwesterns.

Athletic ability and commitment lead to success or failure which are affected by the depth of talent available. Our depth is always thin and depth is impacted by accurate public image we promote at WF that you must have academic ability to play which other state schools don’t require to the same degree. At a minimum WF adds an actual requirement to play which others do not require to the same degree. Ask any college level coach to refute this for the Dukes and Northwesterns.

This is such bullshit. I really hate when we go on losing streaks. Never fails we trot out our academic superiority when we just get beat because twenty people are hurt and our talent at positions is lacking. Yea, let's blame it on our massive academic help team that just can't get them a 1.8 or less. We aren't any different than a hundred teams. But keep thinking we are that unique school that treasures the student athlete above winning.

This is such bullshit. I really hate when we go on losing streaks. Never fails we trot out our academic superiority when we just get beat because twenty people are hurt and our talent at positions is lacking. Yea, let's blame it on our massive academic help team that just can't get them a 1.8 or less. We aren't any different than a hundred teams. But keep thinking we are that unique school that treasures the student athlete above winning.
One would be hard pressed to find a WF leader, Trustee, etc. who would argue that WF treasures winning over academics. Very few excuse losing because WF voluntarily values academics over winnning with long-standing integrity unlike most state schools. It’s WF’s choice to carry that burden just as Duke does.
Not an excuse, but certainly an added real burden which directly impacts the depth of talent on a football team of 85 players. And depth affects winning percentage.

It is not so much the admissions issue as it is academic progress. Wake doesn't offer as many sections of every class as can bigger schools. So football players may find themselves limited in choice of classes.

Also, Wake expects student athletes to go to class, like they were, you know, students! And Wake classes are not like baby blue classes. They require actual work that is graded by professors.

Clemson was up 59-3 on FSU. I wonder when FSU will decide to admit players that can compete with Clemson? I wonder when Louisville will decide to admit players that can compete with Wake?

Clemson was up 59-3 on FSU. I wonder when FSU will decide to admit players that can compete with Clemson? I wonder when Louisville will decide to admit players that can compete with Wake?
All these teams have dominating winning records against WF at a minimum winning percentage of 3 to 1 during the history of college football.

FSU looked beyond ridiculous yesterday, jumping around after intercepting a pass intended for Dabo's son, and breaking out their turnover backpack while trailing 59-3 on their home field.

All these teams have dominating winning records against WF at a minimum winning percentage of 3 to 1 during the history of college football.
The history is meaningless unless you start it at 85 scholarship rule among others. History restarted again when TV exposure was equalized.

FSU looked beyond ridiculous yesterday, jumping around after intercepting a pass intended for Dabo's son, and breaking out their turnover backpack while trailing 59-3 on their home field.

No they didn’t, smh!

When did they start the turnover backpack.
Silliest thing I've seen.

Shouldn’t there be a rule with those things if you’re down late by 4 touchdowns or more they don’t do that crap? It’s getting ridiculous anyway, Louisville had boxing gloves for whoever scored a TD and a championship belt for anyone that got a turnover. We didn’t let them get that one out though.

I think when Willie Boy told them he was here, the backpack arrived too. Got to keep up with Miami, you know, and their painted gold chain that looks like it fell off the back of a pulpwood truck..

I think when Willie Boy told them he was here, the backpack arrived too. Got to keep up with Miami, you know, and their painted gold chain that looks like it fell off the back of a pulpwood truck..

I mean a freaking backpack? You’d think they’d come up with something cooler than that, like a turnover spear or something. We are so far behind the times, no turnover something, no medical tent on the sidelines, come on Dave!

So do we need a turnover top hat, cane, plunger?

Back