• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

deacon14, here's the problem. Harper wouldn't sign a six year deal at $30,000,000.00 a year. He turned down $30 million/year for ten years. Harper said no, not the teams or owners. He gets to sit until he and Boros come to the realization he isn't worth what they think he should be worth.

I was absolutely not suggesting that was the contract I think he’s worth, just made up numbers that I think literally every single team should be able to do. I say that because it seems like there’s only 2-3 teams actually legitimately interested on signing him. To the right team, he should ve worth a hell of a lot more than that.

I was absolutely not suggesting that was the contract I think he’s worth, just made up numbers that I think literally every single team should be able to do. I say that because it seems like there’s only 2-3 teams actually legitimately interested on signing him. To the right team, he should ve worth a hell of a lot more than that.

Price and length are the issues - every team would sign him to a 3 year deal if he would take it, even at a crazy high AAV. And, at 26, he could definitely bank on himself and try that, since whatever deal he is looking for will most certainly have one or two opt-outs to give him a chance to do this again - but he won't. The contract is as much about the MLBPA as it is Bryce or Manny to set standards - if Manny and Bryce settle for 7/$175 thats going to hurt guys like Goldy and Arenado if they come out next year.

PECOTA projections out. Has every team in the NL central above .500. Also, has the Mets winning the NL East. Much fun to be had by all.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

Thanks for the link! To be accurate, it picks the Mets and the Nats to tie for the NL East title, with 4 of the 5 teams over .500. Projections will change once Manny and Bryce find their landing spots.

Teams with the biggest variance between the PECOTA projections and the Vegas O/U totals:

Undervalued teams that PECOTA tells you to take over the current Vegas win total:

- Cleveland +5.5
- Milwaukee +4.5
- Mets +4.5
- AZ +3.5
- Reds +3.5
- Pirates +3.5

Overvalued teams that PECOTA tell you to take the under win total:

- Cubs -6.5
- Red Sox -5.5
- White Sox -5.5 (could change if Machado signs there)
- A's -4.5
- Orioles -3.5
- Twins -3.5

Last edited:
Since the Mets have a history of injuries, how many are included in those projections?

That is a great question - if you click on the team you want to peruse, it will tell you the expected games or innings. For example, it has Noah Syndergaard at 168 innings and it has Robi Cano with 532 plate appearances.

Rumor mill says Realmuto will likely be traded today. Phils been mentioned a bunch, Reds & Dodgers were too.

Rumor mill says Realmuto will likely be traded today. Phils been mentioned a bunch, Reds & Dodgers were too.

Rumor has it that the Phils are willing to give up their best prospect, Sixto Sanchez. Seems like a lot given how prospects are valued today, but he did miss most of last year with an injury.

Rumor has it that the Phils are willing to give up their best prospect, Sixto Sanchez. Seems like a lot given how prospects are valued today, but he did miss most of last year with an injury.

Sourcing Joel Sherman and Bob Nightengale, MLB Trade Rumors is reporting the package for Realmuto includes Sanchez, C Jorge Alfaro and others possibly including former #1 overall pick Mickey Moniak. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

If the Phils can re-resign Realmuto, they should make the deal. All Star catchers help make pitchers better and a rate commodity. How many years before Sanchez is an All Star?

If the Phils can re-resign Realmuto, they should make the deal. All Star catchers help make pitchers better and a rate commodity. How many years before Sanchez is an All Star?

Realmuto's big knock is pitch framing. Otherwise, he is a freak athlete for a catcher, good arm, good bat.

My kid is a Marlins fan, this will mean I need to buy him another shirzee - his other 4 will be traded. Is Lewis Brinson still a good prospect?

Realmuto's big knock is pitch framing. Otherwise, he is a freak athlete for a catcher, good arm, good bat.

My kid is a Marlins fan, this will mean I need to buy him another shirzee - his other 4 will be traded. Is Lewis Brinson still a good prospect?

No. He was dreadful last year in a pretty large sample size

The Marlins best prospect is CF Victor Victor (yes 2 Victors) Mesa. He was considered the best international FA this past signing period, and the Marlins landed him and his 17 year-old brother who also is named Victor (one Victor). He is 22, and is a veteran of the Cuban National team; so, he may be ready for the majors really soon. He has elite speed, doesn't strike out a lot, and is gold glove caliber CF. Here is a link: https://www.mlb.com/news/victor-victor-mesa-takes-part-in-marlins-camp/c-302708684

Seems like the Phillies giving up Sanchez would signal an absolute need to also sign either Machado or Harper (if that wasn't already a thing) in a "win now" kind of way.

If they can keep Realmuto for 5-7 years, giving up a potential starter is a good deal. All Star catchers are really hard to find/develop.

Seems like the Phillies giving up Sanchez would signal an absolute need to also sign either Machado or Harper (if that wasn't already a thing) in a "win now" kind of way.

The message coming out from the Phillies now is that Sanchez has worn out his welcome because of a lack of conditioning, whatever that means.

Back