• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things I have heard

sportsnut nailed the minutes allocation guess for Lewis with 0

also this:

It's hard for a kid that doesn't exist to show up to class.

Doesn’t sound serious.

For those that think these things are unique to Wake, please remember that VT just suspended Chris Clarke.

And he’s supposed to be important to them.

And they’re not supposed to suck this year.

Doesn’t sound serious.

For those that think these things are unique to Wake, please remember that VT just suspended Chris Clarke.

And he’s supposed to be important to them.

And they’re not supposed to suck this year.

The proper perspective, if this was an isolated concern and the entire b-ball program wasn’t self-immolating.

It’s pretty normal for college freshman to struggle academically, especially at a school like Wake and especially when having significant time commitments like a job or D1 sport. Minor academic problems for one freshman don’t concern me, and it’s a little silly to use this in the narrative against Manning.

It’s pretty normal for college freshman to struggle academically, especially at a school like Wake and especially when having significant time commitments like a job or D1 sport. Minor academic problems for one freshman don’t concern me, and it’s a little silly to use this in the narrative against Manning.

A little? For a guy who’s so clearly not a good coach a lot of y’all sure do grasp for every straw trying to prove it.

Dumpster fire

Yes but all the talk on this thread and others about firing Manning just diverts attention from the real problem. As long as Ron Wellman is AD, I don't want him making any more basketball coaching hires. Wake basketball has already hit rock bottom and I'd rather bump along on the bottom a couple more years until Hatch and the BOT get some backbone and tell Ron the time to retire has come and gone, so GO. Then give the new AD the chance to rebuild this program by making his/her own hire.

Yes but all the talk on this thread and others about firing Manning just diverts attention from the real problem. As long as Ron Wellman is AD, I don't want him making any more basketball coaching hires. Wake basketball has already hit rock bottom and I'd rather bump along on the bottom a couple more years until Hatch and the BOT get some backbone and tell Ron the time to retire has come and gone, so GO. Then give the new AD the chance to rebuild this program by making his/her own hire.

What an awful post.

Who wants this dumpster fire to continue bumping along the bottom for a few more years.

Sure. I know that. I argued at the end of last year basically what I just argued. Fire Manning after last year and you guarantee a 3rd or 4th choice hire - same as last hire. Made by Wellman.

I also think the simple truth that Manning is a "good guy", one that is not going to create cause (due to a recruiting violation or by bullying players or by sleeping with his secretary) is a net positive in today's environment. I expect some fallout from the FBI investigation. I expect State to be in double jeopardy trouble in a few years due to Keatts and while he seemed a somewhat sexy hire, he was also a dirty candidate. Manning may not be the storyteller you want to invite to dinner or sit at a bar and chat with, but he seems clean and good and honest. That is not particularly sexy, but potentially helpful if you are playing the long game. I've also found him to be a hard worker recruiting wise, which was one of my concerns - dude doesn't need the money like the usual first time major conference hire.

But put simply, from about September to now is simply not the time to be electronically screaming for Manning's scalp. It's bad form. At best. It's counter-productive

Some of it, IMO, has been laughable. Folks screaming about poor recruiting months after signing Hoard and Mucius et al, and a year after beating Kansas for Brown. Understand certain truths. You don't need the recruiting piece when waxing the sky is falling regarding Manning. It's his coaching and program leadership that seem to be on the table.

Again, the wise play for everyone's psyche is to at this point, become post game critics until the season's story starts to play out. There WILL be a narrative. And we don't know it right now. We actually know less about this team than any team in memory. Let it play out a bit. Cheer for your team, be gutted by defeats, be pissed when we play shitty D or miss rotations. The is not to say I think we should tap out and say we suck and re-engage in 10 months. You can't cauterize a wound unless you sterilize the knife by holding it over a flame.

You realize that folks are worried about 2019 recruiting, right?

You talk a lot about your book. What’s it called? I want to check it out.

Back