• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things I have heard

Anyone advocating for Wellman to hire another basketball coach.

Such dumb logic. Why is Manning automatically better than an anonymous Wellman hire a new AD could just fire?

What an awful post.

Who wants this dumpster fire to continue bumping along the bottom for a few more years.

Exactly. Letting a problem linger will only make it worse. The problem is bigger than Wellman alone. He has had plenty of help/support creating this mess.

Explain why a new AD couldn’t fire a coach.

If the BOT allows Wellman to hire a new coach for the 19-20 season, it’s hard to see a scenario where that coach isn’t here through at least the 22-23 season, regardless of when Wellman retires.

Why? Are you saying we plan to hire an AD that wouldn’t have the power to fire coaches?

Why? Are you saying we plan to hire an AD that wouldn’t have the power to fire coaches?

Pretty much. I think if Wellman hires a coach for the 19-20 season and then retires at the end of 2020, the new AD will be told that whoever Wellman brought in has to get at least 3, and probably 4 years.

Pretty much. I think if Wellman hires a coach for the 19-20 season and then retires at the end of 2020, the new AD will be told that whoever Wellman brought in has to get at least 3, and probably 4 years.

No AD worth his or her salt would come to Wake under those circumstances.

Speaking of things we heard, I heard a rumor that the remaining Joel renovations will require playing one season in Greensboro so Manning will be coach until at least after that season.

Last edited:
There's another point to the problem with a Wellman hire right now. What is Wellman - 70? Any coach interested is going to want to know his AD will be around for a couple of years to protect him, especially if he is inheriting a program with problems, a program that may take a year or two to be competitive. Why would most successful coaches want to come to Wake when they know that the probability of Wellman being here for more than a year or two is low? (At least, I can hope that's a low probability.) That's another reason it's time for Wellman to retire - or time for the BOT to retire him.

The expectation with any new AD is that he/she is going to want his/her own people coaching the major sports. No matter the tenure of the coach.

That’s how I’ve always understood it.

Agree with Ph... Any AD worth having isn’t going to come into the job handcuffed.

My concern is that he’d be handcuffed by a new coach’s contractual provisions. Perhaps the only way a (non-desperate) coach would agree to come under an aging Wellman would be with a huge buyout.

AD’s don’t clean house when they come in. It just does not work that way at colleges. They put together their own staff and coaches over time. College AD’s don’t have carte blanche when it comes to hiring/firing major sport coaches. They may have a lot of freedom but they have to get the approval of others. If the decision to retain or fire an existing coach is a consideration, then it may fall to a new AD. If the previous AD hired a new coach, it is unlikely to be changed short of some major bad action by the coach (not on the court/field performance).

My concern is that he’d be handcuffed by a new coach’s contractual provisions. Perhaps the only way a (non-desperate) coach would agree to come under an aging Wellman would be with a huge buyout.

That’s a fair argument.

The expectation with any new AD is that he/she is going to want his/her own people coaching the major sports. No matter the tenure of the coach.

That’s how I’ve always understood it.

Agree with Ph... Any AD worth having isn’t going to come into the job handcuffed.

Also agree. The next AD we hire sure as hell better have better insight into handling coaches than a BOT. If we don’t think he/she does, we made a terrible hire.

AD’s don’t clean house when they come in. It just does not work that way at colleges. They put together their own staff and coaches over time. College AD’s don’t have carte blanche when it comes to hiring/firing major sport coaches. They may have a lot of freedom but they have to get the approval of others. If the decision to retain or fire an existing coach is a consideration, then it may fall to a new AD. If the previous AD hired a new coach, it is unlikely to be changed short of some major bad action by the coach (not on the court/field performance).

I’ll just say every situation is different, but a new AD would absolutely want to be able to hire his/her own coaches in the major revenue sports (unless you have someone pretty entrenched at that institution).

Back