• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things I have heard

Athletics Directors can be kept from doing what they want by money issues. As noted above, a good coach would likely want a big buyout if hired by a near retirement Ron Wellman.

Wake Will campaign has about 18 months to go. That could be Hatch's cue to retire. Once Hatch retires, I would expect Wellman's replacement to be hired early in a new WFU President's tenure.

So Wake Will last until May 2020. Hatch announces that he is retiring in June 2021. New President starts in June 2021. Wellman announces he is retiring in May 2022. New AD starts in May 2022.

The soonest Manning is fired in that scenario is 2023 after his 9th season. That would make him the third longest tenured head coach in Wake Forest men’s basketball history.

So Wake Will last until May 2020. Hatch announces that he is retiring in June 2021. New President starts in June 2021. Wellman announces he is retiring in May 2022. New AD starts in May 2022.

The soonest Manning is fired in that scenario is 2023 after his 9th season. That would make him the third longest tenured head coach in Wake Forest men’s basketball history.

I can't identify a solid end date for the current "Wake Will Lead" and the "Call to Conversation." I will be surprised if there is a year between the end of the campaign and Hatch's retirement.

I also would not expect Wellman to stay a year into a new president's tenure, nor would I expect a year long search for a new AD.

I would take two and possibly three years off your scenario.

If Wake hires a president from within the existing senior people at Wake, the scenario would change again.

No AD worth his or her salt would come to Wake under those circumstances.

Speaking of things we heard, I heard a rumor that the remaining Joel renovations will require playing one season in Greensboro so Manning will be coach until at least after that season.

WTF? True??

I can't identify a solid end date for the current "Wake Will Lead" and the "Call to Conversation." I will be surprised if there is a year between the end of the campaign and Hatch's retirement.

I also would not expect Wellman to stay a year into a new president's tenure, nor would I expect a year long search for a new AD.

I would take two and possibly three years off your scenario.

If Wake hires a president from within the existing senior people at Wake, the scenario would change again.

Given that Hatch and Wellman are leaving on their own terms, I reasonable assume they’re not leaving “midseason” so they would leave in May or June.

Typically a president announces retirement with plenty of time to do a thorough search for a replacement. For comparison, Hearn announced in April 2004 that he was retiring in June 2005.

Hatch isn’t going to announce his retirement before the end of Wake Will or Call to Conversation. So he will announce it after they are over. So he would retire after the next school year.

Similar story with Wellman. He’s not going to leave during the school year. So he will announce that he’s leaving at the end. No legit AD candidate would bolt until May anyway. A real search would take a few months at least anyway.

So just by virtue of the fact the hiring cycles for Presidents and ADs are different than coaches, this thing would take years to play out based on your scenarios.

All to Conversation needs to end immediately.

Call to Conversation and "Wake Will Lead" fund raising campaign will continue on schedule. Don't expect modification to fit basketball coaching changes cycle.

Another way to view that is to use the campaign as an anchor that would keep Hatch and Wellman in place long enough for a spring 2019 hire to feel he would get enough time to establish a turn around before the administration changed. Basketball coach would not be the first guy out the door if the team was doing reasonably well.

Call to Conversation and "Wake Will Lead" fund raising campaign will continue on schedule. Don't expect modification to fit basketball coaching changes cycle.

Conversation needs to end because it's dumb, not because of basketball.

Back