• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

State fans had to be reprimanded for throwing something onto the court. #typical

With Markell, State is pretty good. Their defensive effort today has been impressive.

We are definitely a year away with our best big sitting out as a transfer, but can't complain too much about tonight. These guys will fight, and it is amazing how different the culture is around the basketball program compared to the previous era.

And you are absolutely right, we are such a different team with/without Markell.

Last edited:
I was really impressed with State’s defense — particularly in the half court. The media reports are lamenting Virginia having a terrible game with turnovers and shooting poorly. If you watched the game, State caused 90% of those issues. They literally never got open looks from three.

UVa. is a good match-up for State while unc and Duke are not.

UVa. is a good match-up for State while unc and Duke are not.

Ehh, not sure I agree with that. UNCs bigs give us problems but we played one of our worst games of the season and had a chance to hit an open 3 with 10 seconds left to make it a 1 pt game first time against UNC. As for Duke, Zion will be a tough matchup, but that’s every team he plays. I like how the rest of the tram matches up.

Tau—how good is the Kentucky transfer — Sasha whoever. ? I was surprised that State’s bigs weren’t as good as I thought against Wake. I thought they would eat up Smart and Sarr. Walker and Funderbruk play hard but the talent level appears suspect.

If the Kentucky transfer is a large upgrade, State could be scary next year.

We are definitely a year away with our best big sitting out as a transfer, but can't complain too much about tonight. These guys will fight, and it is amazing how different the culture is around the basketball program compared to the previous era.

And you are absolutely right, we are such a different team with/without Markell.

Wake fans can tell you all about the importance of culture to a basketball program.

Shaka beat Kansas yesterday. His team looks better than their record. He also has a couple big time recruits coming in next year.

Tau—how good is the Kentucky transfer — Sasha whoever. ? I was surprised that State’s bigs weren’t as good as I thought against Wake. I thought they would eat up Smart and Sarr. Walker and Funderbruk play hard but the talent level appears suspect.

If the Kentucky transfer is a large upgrade, State could be scary next year.

I mean who knows. "Insider" say he is clearly our best big in practice and I don't think that's a stretch. Same insiders said that Devon Daniels was the best player in practice last season and nobody in their right mind would think he is better than Markell Johnson on our squad. Next year will be up in the air as well. I think that our bigs will certainly be better, just because we will have more of them and SKJ will be an upgrade over Funderburke and Walker from this year. Walker is a grad transfer who had two years left so he's back again next season. I think the lineup down low next season will be Funderburke at the 4 and SKJ at the 5 and that will make NCSU extremely tough defensively down low. Then have Walker getting PT at the 5, Hellems at the 4, and Manny Bates with some PT as well at the 4/5. Only question I have with that lineup is will the rebounding suffer? Both seem like more like players who like to stay on the outside (think this was a main reason that SKJ got so little PT at UK even though he has a ton of length/skill/athleticism for someone his size. As with most tranfsers, I think the year sitting out to practice, grow and get stronger will really improve his game. I think he will be a difference maker at the 5 spot that we don't really have this season.

Biggest question for me next season is will Markell Johnson be on the team come next season. There have been plenty of mummers already that he won't be able to do enough to become a 1st round pick next season and will just head to Europe to make some money ASAP but who knows. If he's back the NCSU will be really good next year IMO. Lose Dorn but everyone else back and add SKJ and probably Lecque and a wildcard in Seabron who to me looks a lot like Wright for you guys.

This NCSU team is really just getting by on scheme and effort as their isn't a lot of "talent" on the roster. Markell Johnson is the only guy who was a consensus 4* recruit on the whole team other than SKJ, so you double or triple that number with next years roster. Think we are probably a year ahead of schedule from where Keatts wants to be but if he has to replace Markell for next season we probably won't make as big a leap as some would think without an impact grad transfer PG.

How are acc schedules put together? UNC’s only road (non home and home ) acc opponents are wake, BC, Pitt , and georgia tech and Clemson. UVAs are UNC, Syracuse, BC, NC state and Clemson.

Shaka beat Kansas yesterday. His team looks better than their record. He also has a couple big time recruits coming in next year.

I think it can be reasonably argued that Shaka has grossly underperformed his talent at Texas. He's had 11 Top 100 players in the past three years (seven in the Top 60) and had three other Top 60s on his roster when he arrived.

His best year was with the talent that was left for him. He has come in sixth and tenth in the B12 in the past two completed seasons. He hasn't won a single game in The Dance at Texas.

With less than 8 min to go in the game, VT leads NC State 37-20.
It was 20-14 at half.
What an amazing display of offense.
State has scored 1 point in the last 10 minutes.

With less than 8 min to go in the game, VT leads NC State 37-20.
It was 20-14 at half.
What an amazing display of offense.
State has scored 1 point in the last 10 minutes.

I just looked at the box score. 20% shooting for State. 8% from 3. Beverly 0-12.

NC St has 22 - I repeat, 22 - points with 2:48 remaining. This is what's known as historically awful ...

VT has outscored State 27-8 so far in the second half

Beautiful move by State forward, but then a clunk finish that would've embarrassed ME on the court ...

24 fucking points for the game. How does that even HAPPEN???

Final score:

VT - 47
NC State - 24

lol

State isn't good. They've played a garbage schedule.

Back