• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

True, but didn't know how much they'd follow that, especially for seeding. In the past it seemed like RPI was most important for making the field while quality wins were most important for seeding, but both -- with the NET standing in for RPI -- seem to have largely been reversed this year

from what i heard, the NET was used as a sorting tool. whatever that means. it's flawed just like the RPI. heck, teams received credit for a quad 1 win if they beat State but State was left out over St. Johns

in the end, the committee changes and so do the opinions on what is considered a tournament team. if it were strictly about metrics, there would be no need for a committee. just create a formula and be done. my gripe has always been they will pick and choose what metrics to measure teams by and who to use the metric on. quad one wins matter for this comparison but not that one, or SOS matters here but not there.

What does everyone think of the validity of Strength of Record? Seems like a good metric for the committee to use as it prioritizes winning given said team's schedule. By that metric UNCG, Belmont, State and Clemson should all be in. I don't understand giving the ACC three #1 seeds and then leaving out State and Clemson. Not much in the way of consistent logic with Arizona State and St. John's inexplicably making it with crummy NET rankings. Lumping "Quad 1" wins together is kind of stupid, too as beating Gonzaga or Virginia is much different than say a non-tourney squad according to the committee like TCU.

Last edited:
Considering Wake beat NC State and the Deacs didn't beat a single NCAA tourney team I think its fair to say State isn't worthy of an at large bid.

ACC kinda got dicked

Yep, can't believe that a conference that got 3 #1 seeds only got 7 teams in. Especially when the SEC got 7. The committee did an absolute awful job this year. So many terrible seeding issues, and issues where lower seeded teams are going to play better ranked teams in "home environments" if games fall a certain way. That's really shitty. FSU seeding was a joke too. Especially the teams that got the seeds above them.

As for NCSU, I think there are plenty of arguments that NCSU had a better resume than almost all teams that got in ahead of them that were "bubble teams" and I have zero doubt that they would have been more competitive than teams that made it such as Belmont, OU, St. Johns, Ole Miss, etc but at the end of the day NCSU did this to it's self. Dumb State fans can bitch and go crazy about not getting in but the only way you can make sure you don't get screwed over by a process that consistently gets it wrong is to play better and win the games you need to. State had a flawed (yet competitive) team this year and got what it deserves. Don't put your faith in the NCAA, everyone knows that. Plenty of bitching on the interwebs about how unfair it was etc but like I said, play better, win more games, you don't get left out. Do better next year so this isn't an issue. Hard to get upset about a team missing the tourney whose absolute ceiling would have been a Sweet 16 with a great draw and if they play well.

Also, don't play the weakest non-conference schedule in the entire g'd country

Playing an incredibly weak non-conf SOS and beating NO ONE away from home isn't enough. Sorry Wolfpuppies

Zero sympathy for Clemson and State in a year where the ACC was top heavy and bottom heavy. They were the 2 mediocre teams, and neither distinguished themselves. There were a ton of mediocre power 6 teams this year and a lot of better than usual mid majors. That's why I'm glad Belmont got in and would have preferred UNCG, Furman and Davidson to ASU, StJs and tOSU.

If NCCU wins in Dayton and then plays Dook, will this be the first time classmates have played against each other in the tournament?

Last edited:
Zero sympathy for Clemson and State in a year where the ACC was top heavy and bottom heavy. They were the 2 mediocre teams, and neither distinguished themselves. There were a ton of mediocre power 6 teams this year and a lot of better than usual mid majors. That's why I'm glad Belmont got in and would have preferred UNCG, Furman and Davidson to ASU, StJs and tOSU.

Yeah, I guess I'm with you re: State and Clemson. Don't understand taking ASU or StJ over them, but would prefer UNCG, Furman, Lipscomb over all of the above.

Glad that NCSU didn’t get in, but I’d be pissed if Wake had that resume (warts and all) and didn’t get in.

If NCCU wins in Dayton and then plays Dook, will this be the first time classmates have played against in other in the tournament?

It was interesting Grant Hill acknowledged taking classes at NCCU over the weekend

no sympathy for State or Clemson

but they have better resumes than several teams that got in

Not in terms of quality wins. Particularly quality wins away from home

Glad that NCSU didn’t get in, but I’d be pissed if Wake had that resume (warts and all) and didn’t get in.

Nah, it'd be like the year we got lucky and slipped in as a play in 11. If you're a bubble team, you should feel fortunate to get in. And it's rare that those teams do a whole lot in the dance. I think VCU as a play in 11 was the last team that made any kind of run.

Back