Page 16 of 618 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Because I'm not trying to claim he's a Progressive. I do think he will tack further left if he's running for President as opposed to running in Texas.

No it wasn't. My claim was that Bernie's supporters are not going to let Progressives into the mix. The complete fealty to Bernie and early assault on Beto 23 months before the election were a sign they'll use the One True Progressive argument against actual Progressives too.
    Seems like a stretch and there just isnít much evidence of it at all, beyond speculation. Iím sorry for misrepresenting your argument.

Merry Xmas to all!
    We're going to be good again.

Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    I assume you'll vote for Bernie if he is the nominee?
    Of course.

A Young Go-Hard
    Because I'm not trying to claim he's a Progressive. I do think he will tack further left if he's running for President as opposed to running in Texas.

No it wasn't. My claim was that Bernie's supporters are not going to let Progressives into the mix. The complete fealty to Bernie and early assault on Beto 23 months before the election were a sign they'll use the One True Progressive argument against actual Progressives too.
    So journalists examining and critisizing Beto's voting record is "fealty to Bernie" and an "assault" on "actual progressive" Beto? Thats a weird statement, because

1.It's not fealty to Bernie, it's fealty to a progressive platform
    2. It's not assault, it's vetting a candidate
    3. Beto isn't a progressive. Liz Warren (sorta) and Sherrod Brown are progressives.
    Last edited by myDeaconmyhand; 12-25-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Draxx them sklounst

Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    So journalists examining and critisizing Beto's voting record is "fealty to Bernie" and an "assault" on "actual progressive" Beto? Thats a weird statement, because

1.It's not fealty to Bernie, it's fealty to a progressive platform
    2. It's not assault, it's vetting a candidate
    3. Beto isn't a progressive. Liz Warren (sorta) and Sherrod Brown are progressives.
    Yeah, this is a better articulated version of my point. Thanks, mdmh. Itís not like there arenít prominent progressives in the mix. They just arenít Beto OíRourke who the media portrayed as a progressive despite the fact that he has a centristís record.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Weird. I thought I read the article. The article I read identified people as Bernie supporters, not Progressives.

Also the article wasnít journalists researching Betoís record. It was a journalist writing about Bernie supporters negative campaigning before any candidates have declared.

Iíd rather see each candidate put her or his best foot or no foot forward and supporters make their case than see in-fighting during such a crucial time.

Rusty Larue
    Nice Tammy Baldwin reference.

Other Tammy. Pretty cool that we have two Tammys who could legitimate run for President.

THE quintessential dwarf palmab03's Avatar
    More people need to run against corporations. What % of the country pays credit card interest do you suppose?
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
    Or it just kind of exposes OíRourke for the fraud he is... I certainly hope that this is the case, at least.

What makes Beto a fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison2Carter View Post
    What makes Beto a fraud?
    Press has hyped himself up as a progressive or at least progressive-leaning a lot during and in the aftermath of the election, which just does not match his voting record. It reminds me of when Clinton supporters briefly tried painting her as a progressive when her voting record was out there for all to see.

Calling him a fraud is hyperbolic, but I donít respect that move in contemporary politics

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
    Press has hyped himself up as a progressive or at least progressive-leaning a lot during and in the aftermath of the election, which just does not match his voting record. It reminds me of when Clinton supporters briefly tried painting her as a progressive when her voting record was out there for all to see.

Calling him a fraud is hyperbolic, but I donít respect that move in contemporary politics
    Is it your contention that the press has done that or the candidate?

His record reflects his district and his constituents. I suspect he'll look a little bit different on the national stage.

I'll try to read the article when I get as minute.

I wouldn't call Beto a fraud, but he has been more conservative than the average Democrat, and more of a centrist than a progressive from what I've read on his stances and voting. There are a half dozen journalists I've seen discussing this so not sure how it's a "hit" from Bernie supporters so much as analysis of his record. It's also no fault of Beto. I haven't heard him referring to himself as a progressive candidate, though I think people mistakenly get excited he is because he ran a grassroot style campaign.

I want to see Beto/Harris vs. Kasich/Haley

I think Haley would be a better lead for the ticket since Kasich had a very poor 2016 campaign. He was just one of the last to bail.

I think Haley would be a better lead for the ticket since Kasich had a very poor 2016 campaign. He was just one of the last to bail.
    Yeah Thatís probably true. Also, itíd be sweet if Haley was the first woman president. Thatíd be a tough pill for hill dawg to swallow.

But Iíd have a tough time not voting for Betbro. He seems like a pretty cool dude who has the charisma to cross party lines and get shit done.

Seems like the left is right on schedule to cannibalize itself before the 2020 general.

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Seems like the left is right on schedule to cannibalize itself before the 2020 general.
    Exactly. Beto is probably to the left of most Dem nominees over the last 40 years.

We literally had people who call themselves progressives defending people who voted for a Russian backed spoiler over Hillary.
    Last edited by PhDeac; 12-25-2018 at 10:57 PM.

What makes Beto a fraud?
    Fraud is the wrong word. Iím prone to hyperbole. Itís not Betoís fault that the media crowned him a progressive. Heís just another charismatic liberal with a voting record that is anything but progressive.