• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

There's no thread for indies and I doubt one is needed, so I'll drop this here, the modern day "I'm thinking about it..."

He just started tweeting today and is getting a hard lesson in "the ratio".

The more I see him. The more I like Hakeem Jeffries for VP and then POTUS in 2028. He needs a little experience but is a rising star.

I cannot imagine there's much appetite politically for a self-proclaimed centrist independent self-financing his own campaign for several reasons. Who is the market? Not going to get much liberal support since they aren't going to do anything to increase the odds Donald is president. If you're a conservative why support another businessman if you could just support the incumbent? I don't believe there are truly that many "centrists" out there who want to elect a super rich former CEO running on the much-discussed-rarely-attempted fiscal conservative/social liberal agenda.

I cannot imagine there's much appetite politically for a self-proclaimed centrist independent self-financing his own campaign for several reasons. Who is the market? Not going to get much liberal support since they aren't going to do anything to increase the odds Donald is president. If you're a conservative why support another businessman if you could just support the incumbent? I don't believe there are truly that many "centrists" out there who want to elect a super rich former CEO running on the much-discussed-rarely-attempted fiscal conservative/social liberal agenda.

You get to be the person folks like jhmd and Junebug tell people he voted for, so there’s that.

There may have been more of an appetite for that in 2016 when Trump was more mysterious about what he'd really do. But now that he is the horrific known quantity that he is, there are only going to be 3 groups: (1) his 40% who are solidly behind him; (2) just about anyone else who has ever voted D who is solidly against him; and (3) a handful of establishment Pub never Trumpers led by George Will and David Brooks who could vote vote for someone like this. But he's wasting his money this time around and will do no better than Gary Where Is Aleppo Johnson did last time. Same goes for Stein. She'll be well under 1% if she runs in 2020.

That's pretty good.

Anybody who runs as an independent is wasting their time

Anybody who runs as an independent is wasting their time

Depends on what the independent's end-game is. If the end-game is getting elected President, yes. If it's impacting the election or getting a seat at the table where the lights are so bright, then maybe it's not a waste of time.

Back