Page 1 of 41 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 807

Thread: Betsy DeVos

  1. #1

    Betsy DeVos

    Trump nominee for Secretary of Education

    -Has donated to 5 senators on the committee she is appearing before, her family over $200 million to Republican candidates
    -Refuses to promise to not privatize or strip funding from public schools
    -Can't explain the difference between proficiency and growth
    -Has no idea what indicators are used to determine school success
    -Sees nothing wrong with Trump University
    -Charter schools shouldn't have to meet IDEA
    -Charter schools shouldn't have to meet the same accountability standards as public schools



    Then there's this. Straight from the NCGOP playbook:

    Virtually every Democratic member of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee repeatedly asked the chairman, Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, for more time to question the cabinet nominee. But each time Alexander refused, citing a "precedent" of five-minute rounds of questioning for education secretary nominees.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    DeVos is Cathie Black all over again. What a mess and it's innocent students and hardworking teachers that will suffer.
    We're going to be good again.

  4. #4
    She didn't even appear to know what IDEA was at her confirmation hearing. I know what IDEA is and I've only had half of a legal education--she's the person who's supposed to be running the agency that deals with it.

    It's a joke, but I'm sure Republicans don't care.

  5. #5
    A Young Go-Hard
    myDeaconmyhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    26,268
    Even George W's SOE says that DeVos is an enemy of public education.
    Draxx them sklounst

  6. #6
    Seems like a good opportunity for Senate Republicans to show that they aren't just going to roll over and rubber stamp every one of Trump's decisions.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    Seems like a good opportunity for Senate Republicans to show that they aren't just going to roll over and rubber stamp every one of Trump's decisions.
    Based on the hearing today, that doesn't look like a possibility.

  8. #8
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    64,804
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    Seems like a good opportunity for Senate Republicans to show that they aren't just going to roll over and rubber stamp every one of Trump's decisions.
    lol

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    Wow.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    Seems like a good opportunity for Senate Republicans to show that they aren't just going to roll over and rubber stamp every one of Trump's decisions.
    Lol, or, like they actually did, double down by only allowing half of the usual questioning that they've allowed for Secretary of Education candidates in the past.

  11. #11
    This is already making the rounds with my high school friends who post anything and everything about children on Facebook. They are a mixed bag politically but definitely a far cry from your typical wake student or "coastal elite".

    This is the type of shit (plus trump's incessant tweets) that will doom him and the GOP.

    You can fool all people some of the time...

  12. #12
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    64,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Newenglanddeac View Post
    This is already making the rounds with my high school friends who post anything and everything about children on Facebook. They are a mixed bag politically but definitely a far cry from your typical wake student or "coastal elite".

    This is the type of shit (plus trump's incessant tweets) that will doom him and the GOP.

    You can fool all people some of the time...
    ...but YOU LOST, GET OVER IT !

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post

    liberals and their highfalutin talky-talk. The people of the rust belt have spoken, and they want a straight shooter not some east coast smarty-pants. Dems must learn

  14. #14

    Betsy DeVos

    So .... potential grizzlies. This pick is a joke.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SC DEAC; 01-18-2017 at 09:35 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    ...but YOU LOST, GET OVER IT !
    And Hillary's emails!

  16. #16
    I haven't read a single defense of DeVos. Does anybody here have one?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SC DEAC View Post
    So .... potential grizzlies. This pick is a joke.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But her heart bleeds for victims of gun violence.

  18. #18
    I thought Trump was supposed to hire the best people? Insetead we get DeVos with no or little background in education ruining the Dept of Education and a surgeon with little or no housing experience running HUD. Makes sense.

  19. #19
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    70,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Ball State Deac View Post
    I thought Trump was supposed to hire the best people? Insetead we get DeVos with no or little background in education ruining the Dept of Education and a surgeon with little or no housing experience running HUD. Makes sense.
    Or Ben Cardson at HUD

    Or tillerson at State

    Or the guy who is suing EPA to run EPA.

    Or a conspiracy theory nut as National Security Advisor

  20. #20
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    64,804
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    woof

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •