Page 503 of 677 FirstFirst ... 3403453493498499500501502503504505506507508513553603 ... LastLast
Results 10,041 to 10,060 of 13538

Thread: 2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

You’re misremembering history. Amy, Kamala, and Kirsten ARE establishment Dems. I’m not going to claim there isn’t misogyny in media but they aren’t/didn’t poll well because women aren’t supporting them.

Pete didn’t get “unearned” media attention. The whole argument that he got media because he’s a white man falls apart given the number of “qualified” white men that got no media traction at all. All you possibly have is that he got more attention for being the first openly gay candidate. I would argue that hasn’t gotten nearly as much attention and I would have thought given where we were not long ago.

Pete’s mainstream media attention rose and fell with his polling. Pete’s polling rose because he went on any podcast or radio show he could find including some other candidates wouldn’t go on and he impressed people. He put in the work and it paid off. If you weren’t paying attention it feels like he came out of nowhere. Sure. But if you were, he earned his spot.
    Last edited by PhDeac; 12-07-2019 at 05:57 PM.

What would my views on Pete’s status as the best candidate be other than my opinion?

Why is it when I have an opinion people are like “Ph doesn’t think his views are an opinion.” What else would it be? If I say “Pete is the best candidate” it couldn’t be a fact. So what else do you think it is? What a weird thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    You’re misremembering history. Amy, Kamala, and Kirsten ARE establishment Dems. I’m not going to claim there isn’t misogyny in media but they aren’t/didn’t poll well because women aren’t supporting them.
    I'm only going to respond to this one because you seem to be willfully mis-rpresenting my positions.

They can't be establishment candidates if the establishment had no interest in supporting their candidacy. I'm not a great writer, but I try to be precise with my language. I'm talking about their presidential runs. The "establishment" consisting of influential Obama and Clinton-ites, not to mention donors and Democrat elites (if you buy recent press), really seem to prefer Pete to the field. That's all I'm saying.

As for your point about polling well because women aren't supporting them - I have no idea what you're arguing. They never received any traction. Kamala fell, but the others never polled all that well. Pete was polling at 0% once upon a time, too. There are a few possible explanations. One is that there isn't any misogyny about this and Pete is a white dude, but also does the work. The second is that he got a major bump from press coverage (owed in part to identity politics, in part to an impressive resume, and in part to an inspiring platform [at the time] and discourse] and built a legitimate candidacy by doing the work. The third is that there is a misogynist conspiracy by the Democratic establishment against women in this field. I think 1 and 3 are unlikely because I'm not crazy. Your theory that media attention rises and falls with polling doesn't match what actually happened.

All I'm saying in my post is that the women that I mentioned were known commodities and yet haven't really gotten a fraction of the national news coverage (not to mention cold hard cash) that candidates like Beto and Pete have received this time around. Pete has hustled, but he's also received a ton of attention that the mayor of Miramar, for instance, didn't get. Both young mayors with virtually zero political resume, the young white child of a college professor who is mayor of a midwest college town, one becomes a legitimate candidate in December 2019.
    We're going to be good again.

I disagree with you
    No true establishment

Biden at a forum for Democratic candidates in Iowa "I may be Irish, but I'm not stupid."

Lolol this is gonna be like the trump thing where the dumber the shit he says and does, the better his numbers go

Strick, women aren’t dumb. They know who is running and chose not to support Amy, Kamala, and Kirsten. I was shocked by how much hate there was for Kirsten among women in progressive circles. A lot of it due to Franken.

Candidates earn traction. Biden and Bernie earned it through previous campaigns. Warren earned it through her previous work and Senate and hard work. Even Beto earned it by taking on Cruz in a high profile race. You mentioned Wayne Messum. I didn’t hear anything from him between the beginning and end of his campaign.

Pete was grinding at the beginning of his campaign. He worked hard and impressed, gained in the polls, and earned mainstream coverage
    Last edited by PhDeac; 12-07-2019 at 11:40 PM.

THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    Pete's good looking and impresses most who listen to him. You white dudes with a problem with him are way over thinking things.
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

Yep. I also think people underestimate how a four person stage will look with three olds and a smart telegenic young guy.

They’re going to pull their hair out when black voters start swinging from Biden to Pete and the old black ladies start saying he reminds them of JFK. Pete and Chasten give the old ladies two nice young men for the price of one.

Here is a straight forward solution to the primary demographics problem. Compress the early schedule. Put he Iowa Caucus on a Saturday. Have the NH and SC primaries the following Tuesday. Have the Nevada Caucus the next Saturday. It’s not the total shake up we need but it maintains much of the current system and gives Iowa and NH less weight.
    Last edited by PhDeac; 12-08-2019 at 01:50 AM.

Man this Biden NPR interview is not good.

Is that the one where he said more people should be Republicans?

Not sure. I didn't hear all of it. It was an interview with an NPR person. It was a long interview because they aired long segments of it then discussed his answers. They specifically said he was very long winded in some parts they skipped through. It was unnecessarily contentious. It was a really bad look.

Biden still promised he'd be able to "work things out" with Graham if they both wound up together again in Washington, DC, after the election. "Nothing's gonna snap back; we're in a totally different world," Biden added. But he said he believed there will be "serious consequences" for the Republican Party as Americans reckon with Trump.

"It’s not like there’s going to be some great epiphany and people are going to wake up and go, 'Oh my god, I'm now a Democrat.' And if you hear people on the rope line saying, ‘I'm a Republican,’ I say, ‘Stay a Republican.’ Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

He later added that he's concerned about what would happen if the Republican Party were totally "clobbered."

"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."

I disagree with you
    i mean, look what happened re: the Jedi/Sith

Counterpoint: Baby Yoda

I disagree with you
    true

now we're having the tough conversations

Quote Originally Posted by palmab03 View Post
    Pete's good looking and impresses most who listen to him. You white dudes with a problem with him are way over thinking things.
    This, he also has the ability to communicate policy in a digestible that average Americans understand and get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Biden still promised he'd be able to "work things out" with Graham if they both wound up together again in Washington, DC, after the election. "Nothing's gonna snap back; we're in a totally different world," Biden added. But he said he believed there will be "serious consequences" for the Republican Party as Americans reckon with Trump.

"It’s not like there’s going to be some great epiphany and people are going to wake up and go, 'Oh my god, I'm now a Democrat.' And if you hear people on the rope line saying, ‘I'm a Republican,’ I say, ‘Stay a Republican.’ Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

He later added that he's concerned about what would happen if the Republican Party were totally "clobbered."

"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."
    That's a pretty solid thing to say that Americans need to hear, whether or not the progressive wing of the democratic party likes it or not.

Biden is not as polished as I was hoping he could pull together, but I have no question he would be a decent president.

Michael Bennet is the most underrated Dem candidate.

I disagree with you
    he was born in India?

Quote Originally Posted by WFcatamount22 View Post
    That's a pretty solid thing to say that Americans need to hear, whether or not the progressive wing of the democratic party likes it or not.

Biden is not as polished as I was hoping he could pull together, but I have no question he would be a decent president.
    Counterpoint: Republicans are very bad.