• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Buyout? What is it? Is it realistically payable?

WFU1990

Reaction score
What is it? I know there was an extension through 2024-2025, but can anyone quantify that in dollars and comment on whether that is a realistic thing after Year 2 of that extension?

I get the feeling that Ron didn’t protect Wake when he was negotiating the extension. I could see us owing Manning a lot of money.

Because locking up a coach who had no risk of going elsewhere and making sure we have to buy him out is just good stewardship.

The rumor I heard is that the Wellman buyout drops in 2020 to a more manageable/reasonable number.

So he'll be around if we make a coaching change at the end of this season. How involved he'll be is another story.

The rumor I heard is that the Wellman buyout drops in 2020 to a more manageable/reasonable number.

So he'll be around if we make a coaching change at the end of this season. How involved he'll be is another story.
Wellman has a long term contract with a buyout too?! He lost his luster over 10 years ago.

The affects of a buyout have to be measured along with affects of an average attendance of less than 5000 for the duration of the contract.

How are there ever 5000 people who would go to a Wake game now?

This should have been an recruiting purpose only extension with a very minimal buyout. I would hope that the buyout 2 years later would be almost non-existent.

At some point, in a rational, logic world, doesn't Hatch's phone start ringing from the Bob Mcreary, Mit Shah and Ben Suttons asking why they've poured money down a damn rat hole?!? I sure would be if I had just given millions. I'd no longer have an interest in speaking with the head snake-oil salesman. I'd be dealing directly with Hatch and anyone on the BOT who would listen.

TIME TO CALL THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES

I have sever friends who have been on the Board. They think that Wellman is doing a great job. In fact, one of them chastised me when I suggested getting rid of him.

TIME TO CALL THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES

The Board of Trustees has demonstrated for years that it is there to raise money and do nothing else, from its approval of the idiotic decision to go SAT-optional (pushed by Jill Tiefenthaler when she was provost) to the Board's abject failure to force Ron Wellman to retire after he passed 65 and had made two disastrous basketball coaching hires.

Unfortunately this is the standard mode of university governance. The president and his top administrators recruit a board of rich people who want nothing more to do that swan around at prestigious university events while writing/raising big checks, while assiduously staying out of the actual governance of the institution and leaving it to the "professionals" (who then get paid ridiculously high salaries) and who can push their personal ideological crusades.

I’d like to learn more about these prestigious events. Good food and beverage? Co mingling with students and faculty?

The Board of Trustees has demonstrated for years that it is there to raise money and do nothing else, from its approval of the idiotic decision to go SAT-optional (pushed by Jill Tiefenthaler when she was provost) to the Board's abject failure to force Ron Wellman to retire after he passed 65 and had made two disastrous basketball coaching hires.

Unfortunately this is the standard mode of university governance. The president and his top administrators recruit a board of rich people who want nothing more to do that swan around at prestigious university events while writing/raising big checks, while assiduously staying out of the actual governance of the institution and leaving it to the "professionals" (who then get paid ridiculously high salaries) and who can push their personal ideological crusades.

probably pretty accurate, sad

money and giving is the key to all of this, as long as the money keeps rolling in, there is no incentive to make waves, or changes

This is dead on. And tiefenthaler is the same idiot who killed Calloway. Glad she left so she could stop damaging everything she touched.

I have sever friends who have been on the Board. They think that Wellman is doing a great job. In fact, one of them chastised me when I suggested getting rid of him.

Do you ask them how they feel about the men’s basketball performance?

To state the obvious, having a winning (or even a marginally mediocre) basketball program is not as important to Hatch or the BOT as it is to those that post here. They don't agonize over embarrassing losses like Friday's HBU game.

Manning is liked by the powers of be at WF. That means a lot more than most here realize. I have no confidence that a change will be made after the season regardless of how poorly WF plays. Depressing.

The big donors to the Deacon Club control athletics, not the BOT. The Rams Club dumped Fedora, not the nutty BOG.

I DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT CONTRACT EXTENSIONS . . . but is it possible that Wellman just said that he was giving an extension to Manning to make it easier for Manning to recruit some of the big names that he was going after? In other words, maybe the contract extension didn't amount to all that much as far as dollars and cents go. Maybe the "contract extension" was meant to encourage the kids who were coming in.

Okay. That was a real long shot but I needed to ask. :tard:

I DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT CONTRACT EXTENSIONS . . . but is it possible that Wellman just said that he was giving an extension to Manning to make it easier for Manning to recruit some of the big names that he was going after? In other words, maybe the contract extension didn't amount to all that much as far as dollars and cents go. Maybe the "contract extension" was meant to encourage the kids who were coming in.

Okay. That was a real long shot but I needed to ask. :tard:

Anything's a possibility, but it would be the first time Wellman has made a good decision regarding basketball since Skip died, so it seems unlikely.

Back