• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unc fires Fedora

early on in his tenure at UNC, the joke was - Mack Brown is going to buy all of the 7-11 stores in NC and rename them 1-11.

The record says Debbie Crowder started the paper classes in 1993. In addition 80% of Brown's players were AFAM majors. He basically cheated his whole UNC tenure. He is just as dirty as Butch Davis. UNC basically hiring a known cheater. It's unreal.

First thing I thought of. Unbelievable.

early on in his tenure at UNC, the joke was - Mack Brown is going to buy all of the 7-11 stores in NC and rename them 1-11.

I also enjoyed these- "Did you hear about the car break-ins in Chapel Hill? It's awful. The criminals are smashing the windows of cars and leaving UNC football tickets on the dashboard." or "A little boy whose parents are getting divorced is taken before a judge, who asks him which of his parents he wants to live with. The boy says 'Well, your honor, I don't want to live with my dad because he beats me.' So the judge asks about his mom 'She beats me too, I don't want to live with her either.' Getting frustrated the judge asks 'Then where should we send you to live?' And the boy replies 'How about sending me to Mack Brown? He can't beat anyone.'"

Not Mack Brown related but still a good one: I'd rather have jock itch than Dick Crum.

Count me in as laughing at the Brown hire. He did a good job there but bolted as soon as he could get a top job. In addition, he was 1 of the causes of the Tejas decline. His recruiting classes had started to fall off his last few years, and he was coasting on his rep after his natty. At his age, he better have a great OC, DC and recruiting coordinator if he's going to have any chance of success.

What concerns me is his ability to hire quality assistants.

I saw yesterday that Elko was on a list of Top 10 possibilities for the UNC job.
However, after his A&M defense gave up 72 points Saturday night, I guess his stock went down.

Several overtimes.

What concerns me is his ability to hire quality assistants.
Why? What's the draw? Potential for the head job in a few years? I'm not sure setting up a competition between assistants would lead to good results.

Why? What's the draw? Potential for the head job in a few years? I'm not sure setting up a competition between assistants would lead to good results.

I don't know that he can hire great assistants; but, if he does, UNC will be a problem. I think it depends on his reputation in the coaching community for allowing his assistants to coach and for developing coaching talent. And I have no idea what his reputation is among his fellow coaches.

I don't know that he can hire great assistants; but, if he does, UNC will be a problem. I think it depends on his reputation in the coaching community for allowing his assistants to coach and for developing coaching talent. And I have no idea what his reputation is among his fellow coaches.

Does his brother still coach? I remember his stepson got whistled in a championship game for interfering with a game play, or roughing up an opposing player who went out of bounds. Maybe that duffus will be his DC.

Beautiful hire. Monument to cheating. Enshrines cheating to the core of UNC.

Gerald Gurney, president of the Drake Group, whose mission is "to defend academic integrity in higher education from the corrosive aspects of commercialized college sports," said the findings should provide fodder for the NCAA to levy one of its most severe charges against UNC: lack of institutional control.
"I can safely say that the scope of the 20-year UNC fraud scandal easily takes the prize for the largest and most nefarious scandal in the history of NCAA enforcement. The depth and breadth of the scheme -- involving counselors, coaches, academic administrators, faculty, athletic administrators, et cetera -- eclipses any previous case," Gurney said.

Thought this was funny...

Buck Sanders (Inside Carolina) said his first choice for the UNC job was Dave Clawson.

Such a stupid move when Carl Toothbrush and Lil Baby Bunting were still available.

Nah, he checked out his last few years at Texas. If you're a hot young assistant, I'd go work for Herm Edwards before I'd work for a 67 year old who had long since checked out of his last job. This is a paycheck for Brown because he thinks he wants back in the game and didn't like Texas nudging him out the door. This has failure written all over it.

From Football Scoop: With Brown returning to Chapel Hill, sources have told FootballScoop that Gene Chizik could hop aboard as Brown’s defensive coordinator.

Chizik was the DC in 2015 and 2016, and UNC's D was ranked 96th and 63rd nationally. He then resigned claiming that he wanted to spend more time with his family. Guess his family is sick of him after two years.

Back