• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

I think at best we will get to 6-6 OOC (lose next four and then squeak by Gardner-Webb and Cornell) then at best we sneak by GT in Atlanta and go 7-23, or GT crushes us as well and it's a 6-24 season with a very miserable 18 game losing streak to end the season. Can't see how Manning/Wellman would survive that regardless of how contracts are worded .. where there is a will, there's a way.

'67-'68 varsity team was 5-21. Fans would come to see the freshman game (Charley Davis and Gil McGregor) and leave before the varsity took the court. That varsity team was more fun to watch than this year's

'67-'68 varsity team was 5-21. Fans would come to see the freshman game (Charley Davis and Gil McGregor) and leave before the varsity took the court. That varsity team was more fun to watch than this year's

They were wrong. They should have stayed to see Jay Randall work his magic.

He has no fire. I have talked with him informally a few times(downtown W-S) and he is boring and talks in a mono-tone. Maybe it was all me, but I hope he doesn't interact with his players like that.

I think at best we will get to 6-6 OOC (lose next four and then squeak by Gardner-Webb and Cornell) then at best we sneak by GT in Atlanta and go 7-23, or GT crushes us as well and it's a 6-24 season with a very miserable 18 game losing streak to end the season. Can't see how Manning/Wellman would survive that regardless of how contracts are worded .. where there is a will, there's a way.

If this is year we win in Atlanta, I’ll have a good laugh about it.

God people have some really dumb fucking takes on this board. Danny Manning may be a horrendous college basketball coach but he was a legendary All-American player and had an extended NBA career. To say he has no competitive fire is beyond idiotic.

It's like you have no eyes. The man is a statue.

I can't define "competitive fire," but I know it when I see it. :)

Coach%20Clawson%20annoyed%2001-L.jpg

This.

No. It's not. It's written in what's called present-tense. Let's have a look....

"I do think we can say he doesn’t seem to possess competitive fire. We would have seen it emerge in some form by now."

The "doesn't seem to possess" would indicate present-tense. Let's contrast that with "I do think he didn't seem to possess a competitive fire".

See the difference there?

Correct. I’m referring to his coaching tenure at Wake Forest.

He has no fire. I have talked with him informally a few times(downtown W-S) and he is boring and talks in a mono-tone. Maybe it was all me, but I hope he doesn't interact with his players like that.

The truly amazing thing is that Ron Idiot Wellman had an interview with both Manning and BZ and left that interview thinking this was his guy.

Neither could inspire a starving man to eat a hamburger. Both with the personality of a piece of debris.

Sometimes we went to see Earl Monroe play at Winston-Salem State.

Our basketball team sucks so bad now that I won't even watch them on TV.

I don't doubt he has fire and a great desire to prove all the naysayers wrong, but he is more of a Timmy D personality. That can work as a player as he could just put a team on his back and carry them, but as a coach you have to be able to inspire as well as encourage and coach your players up which he apparently can't do. It is clear his coaching fundamentals/system ("play fast" and never dissects an opponent like you hear Claw do) is fatally flawed and the hope was his recruiting would help overcome his poor coaching. Now that recruiting is suffering mixed with realization his coaching is so bad that even with good players he is getting less than the sum of the parts you have a recipe for disaster. Add to that his stoic and unrelatable personality just makes for a real painful time for players as evidenced by quotes from Keyshawn.

9393038.jpeg

Duncan had plenty of fire on the court, especially when his teams needed it.

He maybe had an occasional outburst, but by and large Timmy D was one of the most stoic All Star players in our time. Google stoic Tim Duncan if you don't believe me. Even named as an example under popular culture for stoicism. And early on he was often criticized for not being "emotional/fiery" enough, but clearly he silenced them over the years.

He maybe had an occasional outburst, but by and large Timmy D was one of the most stoic All Star players in our time. Google stoic Tim Duncan if you don't believe me. Even named as an example under popular culture for stoicism. And early on he was often criticized for not being "emotional/fiery" enough, but clearly he silenced them over the years.

a_duncan_i.jpg

LOL. Ask NBA refs if Timmy was stoic.

Besides his "fight" with my boy Joey Crawford, my other favorite Tim "talks" moment was in a game against KG. After scoring a bucket, KG was yapping non-stop all the way up the court. Tim smiled, shhshed KG with a finger over Tim's mouth and then pointed to the scoreboard and smiled bigger. KG was none too happy.

The classic quote on Tim D came from Shaq. He is quite a trash talker. After one game against Tim, he is reputed to have said that he put out some of his best trash talk at Tim. After a good round, he said he looked at Tim. Saud Tim looked bored.

Tim had intensity. He just wasn't demonstrative about all the time. Actually more effective that way in many situations. If you don't scream and yell a lot, people pay attention when you do.

A coach needs to do enough communicating at whatever volume is necessary to get his messages through and to get his team emotionally "up" for the game at hand. Danny ( really the whole ataff) seems unable to do this.

What Duke player was it that said something about Duncan and Duncan in turn called the Duke player the best player in basketball or something, just to fuck with him.

Besides his "fight" with my boy Joey Crawford, my other favorite Tim "talks" moment was in a game against KG. After scoring a bucket, KG was yapping non-stop all the way up the court. Tim smiled, shhshed KG with a finger over Tim's mouth and then pointed to the scoreboard and smiled bigger. KG was none too happy.

Believe I once read that KG was the one player TD disliked (KG reportedly said something during a game about Tim's mother being dead).

edit: KG wished Tim "Happy mother's day , Mother Fucker" while Tim was getting ready to shoot a free throw.

“In fact, Duncan hates Kevin Garnett. Hates him the way liberals hate Sean Hannity. This information comes from very reliable sources, who talk about how KG has made a career of trying to punk Duncan, baiting him and slapping him and whispering really weird smack into his ear. They talk about how funny this is, because the worst thing you can do as an opponent is piss off Duncan. Then, as Malik Rose says, "he f------ destroys you." Duncan's lifetime numbers versus Garnett's teams, by the way: 19.4 points per game, 11.6 boards and a 44-17 record, including the postseason.
Duncan is diplomatic about the topic. Asked if perhaps all those years battling Garnett have softened his feelings for the man, led to a Magic-Larry type of kinship, Duncan leans back on the couch in his hotel room and grins. There is a pause. A longer pause. Finally he says, "Define kinship.”

https://www.complex.com/sports/2016/09/meanest-things-kevin-garnett-ever-said/mothers-day

Last edited:
Back