• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF's Centers...

Pilchard

Reaction score
Playing a series of undersized teams over the first six games that WF should be able to dominate in the paint, but WF's 3 centers are shooting a collective 12 for 31 (39%) on two point shots on the season - with almost all of those shots coming from inside 5 feet against shorter players. Just inept. Smart is the only one with a low post move, and even that baby right-handed hook is unreliable. Strong evidence debunking the developer of big men reputation.

Watching the G'town/Richmond game, G'town's big men, who are good, but not great, killed Richmond in the paint shooting 18 for 29 on 2 point shots. Last year against Richmond, Doral Moore, Terrence Thompson, and Melo Eggleston (yes, Melo went 3 for 4 on 2 point shots against the Spiders) shot 11 for 15 on two point shots against Richmond. Richmond's only inside size is Grant Golden. He is big, but he is slow and not a good defender. Is it too much to ask for our starting 7 foot center to take 6 to 8 shots inside the paint and make half of them? What did he work on over the past year?

He cannot make half of his layups in an uncontested layup line. He has the opposite of touch around the basket.

Agreed. Collins is looking more and more like simply a very special talent rather than the result of any special development by Manning.

Last edited:
It's comical that people say Manning "turned" John Collins into the player he is now. It's such an insult to Collins's natural talent and the work he himself put in.

Think how bad these guys might be without Manning's coaching.

Wasn't Rusty LaRue our last big man coach ?

Playing a series of undersized teams over the first six games that WF should be able to dominate in the paint, but WF's 3 centers are shooting a collective 12 for 31 (39%) on two point shots on the season - with almost all of those shots coming from inside 5 feet against shorter players. Just inept. Smart is the only one with a low post move, and even that baby right-handed hook is unreliable. Strong evidence debunking the developer of big men reputation.

Watching the G'town/Richmond game, G'town's big men, who are good, but not great, killed Richmond in the paint shooting 18 for 29 on 2 point shots. Last year against Richmond, Doral Moore, Terrence Thompson, and Melo Eggleston (yes, Melo went 3 for 4 on 2 point shots against the Spiders) shot 11 for 15 on two point shots against Richmond. Richmond's only inside size is Grant Golden. He is big, but he is slow and not a good defender. Is it too much to ask for our starting 7 foot center to take 6 to 8 shots inside the paint and make half of them? What did he work on over the past year?

#swole

Remember when the Manning supporters were convinced that Sarr would be hugely improved this year?

I think our strength and conditioning guy might be a bearded charlatan who makes creative use of room lighting.

It's comical that people say Manning "turned" John Collins into the player he is now. It's such an insult to Collins's natural talent and the work he himself put in.

Agreed. People should just be thankful Collins chose us over Duke or Kansas and then decided not to declare after his freshman year.

One of the problems with Sarr not getting shots is Brandon has sucked at getting the ball into the post for his entire career at Wake. I can't believe he hasn't learned one of the most basic tasks of a PG.

Neither Smart nor Okeke have any offensive moves. Getting them the ball is useless.

And the fact he was clearly underrated in HS.

Sarr is not strong enough to ever get open. Thus, no one passes the ball to him. Western Carolinas center scored at will and got 16 rebounds against Sarr. We have effectively no post presence except for Hoard.

I think our strength and conditioning guy might be a bearded charlatan who makes creative use of room lighting.

I disagree with this. I think Ryan is the real deal...unfortunately I think Manning is completely inept when it comes to utilizing his players.

I went to the exhibition game vs. UNC-Pembroke which was Collins first game for us and even in limited playing time, I could tell he was going to be very good. Kind of like Tim Duncan's first game, which was the infamous loss to Alaska-Anchorage, you Timmy was a little raw, but the natural ability was plainly evident. I'm not saying Danny didn't help Collins, but Collins had "it" when he got here.

I disagree with this. I think Ryan is the real deal...unfortunately I think Manning is completely inept when it comes to utilizing his players.

I let him coach out the rest of the season right now. At least there'd be some emotion from our head coach.

I'm sure he's fine, I'm mostly just talking shit because I wanted Sarr to be a beast this year and he still seems soft, which is not Horn's responsibility. He has great hair and a beard and is enthusiastic. I bet the dudes are all stronger and more conditioned than when they arrived.

Back