• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Davidson Wildcats -- 7pm ESPNU Tonight

Pretty sure this is a Russian not turning us against our own team.

In all seriousness, prolonged defensive intensity against a well coached offense equals applauds for staff. Quick to criticize need to be equally quick to praise and vice versa imo. Great job last night Danny, chill and staff

Huh? Our offense was dismal the final 6 minutes of the first half. No Kellan Grady is like saying no Hoard (best player).

And Sarr got abused again.

I also have to plead mea culpa on TJohnson. I still worry he is going to be a defensive liability against guards in ACC play who have lateral quickness, but he hit some big shots. His missed shots though ... they remind me of the Russian transfer from Georgetown we had during the darker era - what was his name? There is a GIF of him throwing a shot over the backbooard and a Wake player throwing up his arms in exasperation in the foreground ...

It was Nikita Mescharikov, and Johnson's not even close to that. Nikita was like the symbol of how bad we were during that time.

Who is backing up Chill at PG - Wright?

Wake doesn't have good options at backup point guard. Probably a committee approach of Wright, Johnson and maybe Hoard. Jamie Lewis was supposed to fill that role, but we have seen how that is turning out.

Any news on Chill's injury? He could barely walk to take/miss his last FTs.

WF doesn't really have any other options if Chill is out for an extended period. Johnson and Wright played a little point with Wynn on the wing when Chill was out. Really unbelievable that since signing Braynt Crawford in 2015, the only PG that WF has been able to recruit and keep in the program is an assistant coach's son. Really shouldn't be that hard to find a marginal PG that could give WF 10 minutes off the bench. Do what Clawson does when he has a need, and doesn't have a stud already committed, find the best player committed to a mid-major and bring him in to fill a need.

Everyone who thinks my comment was dumb doesn't get the big picture. Strong 1st half got the win, 2nd half was like all the second halves under Manning. Davidson was the inferior team and they were able to stick around and nearly come back. If that game goes another 10 minutes they likely take the lead and win. The 1st half went well, then right after halftime they cut the lead from 9 to a single possession game. Wake even went minutes without a field goal to end the 1st half, making a 14 point lead go down to 9 at half. All this was done by Manning not correctly staying with the hot hands on the team in Hoard and Chuandee. So you could say how well Wake played the first 10 minutes of that game created the win. Hoard came out on fire, other guys stepped up, defense looked good, and then Danny's coaching took over. Halftime adjustments were made by Davidson, and now a skinny Austrian 2-star freshman and a decent PG from Iceland are lighting them up in the second half. This team can't string together 2 good halves against a Davidson team missing their best player/likely conference player of the year.

I'm not saying the players on Wake suck, I'm saying the coach does and all this win does is provide cover for his deficiencies that were still showing in this game. People say the 3 point defense got better, well Davidson bricked about three wide open 3's they would normally make. The defense is not better just because guys miss wide open corner 3s. That Austrian kid was 9-16 and 8-14 in the post. Looks like scoring in the paint was no problem. Yes guys looked more active on defense, but dig deeper and you see the overall scheme is still massively flawed and not being fixed. It would be like if Notre Dame dropped a bunch of easy deep passes and made it look like Sawvel was a good coordinator, when really it was just Notre Dame dropping wide open catches. Then Clemson came out and didn't drop those passes and won 63-3. I'm betting Tennessee will show how little progress has been made on the basketball front. I hope I'm wrong but I just hate that time is being wasted with a talented team when the coach detrimentally affects how they play.

Is it really unbelievable that the PGs we could get wouldn’t want to play behind Crawford and a coach’s kid?

Everyone who thinks my comment was dumb doesn't get the big picture. Strong 1st half got the win, 2nd half was like all the second halves under Manning. Davidson was the inferior team and they were able to stick around and nearly come back. If that game goes another 10 minutes they likely take the lead and win. The 1st half went well, then right after halftime they cut the lead from 9 to a single possession game. Wake even went minutes without a field goal to end the 1st half, making a 14 point lead go down to 9 at half. All this was done by Manning not correctly staying with the hot hands on the team in Hoard and Chuandee. So you could say how well Wake played the first 10 minutes of that game created the win. Hoard came out on fire, other guys stepped up, defense looked good, and then Danny's coaching took over. Halftime adjustments were made by Davidson, and now a skinny Austrian 2-star freshman and a decent PG from Iceland are lighting them up in the second half. This team can't string together 2 good halves against a Davidson team missing their best player/likely conference player of the year.

I'm not saying the players on Wake suck, I'm saying the coach does and all this win does is provide cover for his deficiencies that were still showing in this game. People say the 3 point defense got better, well Davidson bricked about three wide open 3's they would normally make. The defense is not better just because guys miss wide open corner 3s. That Austrian kid was 9-16 and 8-14 in the post. Looks like scoring in the paint was no problem. Yes guys looked more active on defense, but dig deeper and you see the overall scheme is still massively flawed and not being fixed. It would be like if Notre Dame dropped a bunch of easy deep passes and made it look like Sawvel was a good coordinator, when really it was just Notre Dame dropping wide open catches. Then Clemson came out and didn't drop those passes and won 63-3. I'm betting Tennessee will show how little progress has been made on the basketball front. I hope I'm wrong but I just hate that time is being wasted with a talented team when the coach detrimentally affects how they play.

Huh? Our offense was dismal the final 6 minutes of the first half. No Kellan Grady is like saying no Hoard (best player).

And Sarr got abused again.

Couldn't correct. I meant to use Russian bot. I was as much commenting on the grammatical diction of your last paragraph, which was bot-like.

WF doesn't really have any other options if Chill is out for an extended period. Johnson and Wright played a little point with Wynn on the wing when Chill was out. Really unbelievable that since signing Braynt Crawford in 2015, the only PG that WF has been able to recruit and keep in the program is an assistant coach's son. Really shouldn't be that hard to find a marginal PG that could give WF 10 minutes off the bench. Do what Clawson does when he has a need, and doesn't have a stud already committed, find the best player committed to a mid-major and bring him in to fill a need.

Jamie Lewis was supposed to be that guy. He apparently doesn't understand Wake Forest.

I'm not sure which game some of you were watching, but I went back to the play-by-play to check out the Davidson's big guy's scoring. According to that, he scored either 11 or 13 points versus Smart and 6-8 points against Sarr. He also got most of his rebounds when Smart was on the court. Sarr played 19 minutes vs. 18 for Smart.

This does show how the board gets a narrative and then attempts to make what happens fit preconceived notions.

Sarr is definitely not the defender some of us thought he would be, but last night Smart gave up more points in spite of being more physical.

BTW, barring injury or foul trouble, there is no logic in playing Johnson more minutes than Hoard.

I'm not sure which game some of you were watching, but I went back to the play-by-play to check out the Davidson's big guy's scoring. According to that, he scored either 11 or 13 points versus Smart and 6-8 points against Sarr. He also got most of his rebounds when Smart was on the court. Sarr played 19 minutes vs. 18 for Smart.

This does show how the board gets a narrative and then attempts to make what happens fit preconceived notions.

Sarr is definitely not the defender some of us thought he would be, but last night Smart gave up more points in spite of being more physical.

BTW, barring injury or foul trouble, there is no logic in playing Johnson more minutes than Hoard.

Not disagreeing with you but Smart did have the best +/- on the team last night at 12. This does not really speak to individual defensive work, but does provide one data point.

Hoard should play as many minutes as he can handle and touch the ball on every possession; however, Johnson is a guard and those who were in attendance could see how much we needed him on defense. He doesn’t shoot too much, can hit an open jumper and is good taking it to the rim. He needs to play a lot at this point.

Back