• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Odom insight during Cornell Game

socaldeac

Reaction score
Dave Odom had some interesting takes during the game.

We are going to get killed with lack of strength inside during ACC Play

Sarr, and our two 4 star freshman will need to put on strength, but have upside

We can’t finish near the basket

We are a very right handed team, and always find our selves playing on the left side of the court and that is a problem. Not sure what that means.

B Childress often gets into one on one battles and does not play team basketball - basically takes us out of the game. Needs to be removed when he does this.

The art of catching and throwing a pass Wake struggles with

They attempted to pound it inside against Cornell with success

My take is we shoot way to many in between baskets as opposed to layups or three point shots

Amen. He really believed and taught defense first b-ball

We are a very right handed team, and always find our selves playing on the left side of the court and that is a problem. Not sure what that means.

That's what the opposition gives us. That's where they want us to go because we can't shoot with our off-hands. And we keep falling for it.

Coaching! or the lack thereof.

Carl-Tacy

I really enjoyed hearing Dave last night.
When I turned the game on, I didn't know who the announcers were, but thought 'this guy is good' and it sounded like Odom.
He did go into quite a bit of detail talking about weight and the need for some players to put on some lbs.
would love to have him as a regular or semi-regular announcer.

Pause for a thought - with Odom, Nestor and Randolph all involved at present, it's almost like old times. Well, maybe not almost, but you know what I mean.

FWIW, Odom really liked Ikenna Smart. Said that he knew his role and he did what was expected of him without trying to do more. He also had big time praise for Chaundee.

Smart
Hoard
Brown
Chill
Wright

I'd like to see wright run the point and let Brandon play off the ball for an extended period of time. Chill can score against most competition but as a PG he still tries to force way too much. Odom was calling Chill out last night for his turnovers when being guarded by 1 guy. He said something like "He's not even being double teamed! Get him on the bench until he regains control"

That's what the opposition gives us. That's where they want us to go because we can't shoot with our off-hands. And we keep falling for it.

Coaching! or the lack thereof.

Nonsense! We just need to recruit more left handers!

Smart
Hoard
Brown
Chill
Wright

I'd like to see wright run the point and let Brandon play off the ball for an extended period of time. Chill can score against most competition but as a PG he still tries to force way too much. Odom was calling Chill out last night for his turnovers when being guarded by 1 guy. He said something like "He's not even being double teamed! Get him on the bench until he regains control"

Manning did just that in much of the 2nd half, which was nice to see. Also frees up Childress to be more of a spot up shooter, as he is one of our better shooters.

Smart
Hoard
Brown
Chill
Wright

I agree with this, but it's worth noting that Odom also called out Wright for not hustling for a loose ball. Wonder if that sort of thing is why he's not getting more playing time.

I have been saying this for a month and just stopped because I stopped caring. Wright Jr is the only guy on our team that can create a good shot for himself if you give him the ball with 4 seconds left on the clock. He DOES take tweener shots, but they are almost always in rhythm and are what I consider good shots. He also has a propensity of hitting big shots - either shots to end a team draught or to stave off a run. I think he is a real player and happy we have him.

Torrey Johnson, bless his trying heart, is not an ACC player IMO. Not one who should be playing 25 minutes anyway. Maybe 6. If we are going to lose - and we ARE going to lose, give the minutes to Wright. Expecting more wily veteran leadership of Torey Johnson though come ACC time. Torrey Johnson is going to have difficulty staying in front of an ACC 2guard. If that ACC 2 guard also has him in size, oh boy.

yet the majority of the fan base wanted him gone.

If you had been in Atlanta and watched our first round loss that year, you would have also wanted him gone.

Odom also couldn't reach a FF with one of the greatest players to ever play the game and called Corny Hudson the most talented player on our team. So YMMV.

If you had been in Atlanta and watched our first round loss that year, you would have also wanted him gone.

I was there and it sucked

maybe someday WF will get deep enough into the ACC tournament to lose to the #11 team in the country

Back