• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Randolph Childress

warrenbat

Reaction score
I keep seeing in threads that people do not want Randolph to be the interim or potentially the head coach were that to be successful. I for one would not be opposed to him being at least given an opportunity to take on the interim position and see what he does. He has worked for two pretty strong personality's who do not seem to have the confidence in their own ability's to give someone else enough responsibility to have an impact. Historically he has seemed to be a pretty good recruiter with the exception of Harry. He certainly knows the game and understands Wake Forest and the pros and cons that come from that. I don't think at this point that we know what we have with Randolph and to judge him based on the tenures of Bz and Manning seems unfair.

couldn't be worse than what we have now

nope nope nope nope. i'll continue to shout this from the rooftops. i said the exact same thing with redacted and look what we ended up with. it can always be worse. granted there's not much more to go to get to the absolute worse but still.
haha

I support giving Childress the interim tag if Danny were let go midseason. If he can use that as an audition for a mid major job then that would be great. It's hard to imagine he could do enough with what is left of the season to get the permanent head job here though. Hiring him would be as big a roll of the dice as hiring Dabo at Clemson.

Last edited:
I keep seeing in threads that people do not want Randolph to be the interim or potentially the head coach were that to be successful. I for one would not be opposed to him being at least given an opportunity to take on the interim position and see what he does. He has worked for two pretty strong personality's who do not seem to have the confidence in their own ability's to give someone else enough responsibility to have an impact. Historically he has seemed to be a pretty good recruiter with the exception of Harry. He certainly knows the game and understands Wake Forest and the pros and cons that come from that. I don't think at this point that we know what we have with Randolph and to judge him based on the tenures of Bz and Manning seems unfair.
Nope. Clean house. If we want to help Chill, give him a job fund raising or another position in the athletics dept.

My prediction is that Manning will get canned and the next coach will keep Randolph on his staff, partly due to Brandon still on the team. Don't like it, but that's my guess as to what's gonna happen.

My prediction is that Manning will get canned and the next coach will keep Randolph on his staff, partly due to Brandon still on the team. Don't like it, but that's my guess as to what's gonna happen.

And any coach forced or coerced into keeping Randolph is less than we would have gotten otherwise.

I support giving Childress the interim tag if Danny were let go midseason. If he can use that as an audition for a mid major job then that would be great. It's hard to imagine he could do enough with what is left of the season to get the permanent head job here though. Hiring him would be as big a role of the dice as hiring Dabo at Clemson.

This is basically where I am. I would be interested in seeing how this team does with Randolph running things for the rest of the season, but not after that unless he proves to be a miracle worker(ACC champs level miracle).

I am sure he could be moved back to his previous job in the AD for Brandon's SR year, unless he wants to move on.

It would better for Randolph’s coaching career to leave Wake and build a resume independent of the only collegiate program he’s ever been associated with.

I’ve read that he and Manning don’t really care much for one another. Chill has been the lead recruiter for most of our good players over the past 5 years but he does have a surly personality. Interim is fine but that’s it. Need a new start.

Nope. Clean house. If we want to help Chill, give him a job fund raising or another position in the athletics dept.

That’s what we were doing to help him before making him an assistant coach.

I’m curious if he actually wants to be a college coach or if he just wants a job in Winston or at Wake. Rusty and Elrod didn’t bother with the carousel after they lost their spots at MSD.

That’s what we were doing to help him before making him an assistant coach.

I’m curious if he actually wants to be a college coach or if he just wants a job in Winston or at Wake. Rusty and Elrod didn’t bother with the carousel after they lost their spots at MSD.

Right, my guess is he doesn’t want to become a move every five years actual coach climbing the ladder.

If he had some amazing coaching chops I think they would have revealed themselves by now, as opposed to him being a participant in two of the worst coaching regimes the ACC has ever seen.

I support giving Childress the interim tag if Danny were let go midseason. If he can use that as an audition for a mid major job then that would be great. It's hard to imagine he could do enough with what is left of the season to get the permanent head job here though. Hiring him would be as big a role of the dice as hiring Dabo at Clemson.

You are correct, sir.

I’ve read that he and Manning don’t really care much for one another. Chill has been the lead recruiter for most of our good players over the past 5 years but he does have a surly personality. Interim is fine but that’s it. Need a new start.
You read that here? Can’t imagine that being in print anywhere else? Hard to imagine they don’t get along & he gets promoted to associate head coach. If Wellman is forcing Manning to do all these things, then Manning isn’t as stubborn as he is being labeled.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if some folks at the table want to promote Randolph to replace Manning and make JGray an assistant.

Randolph Childress’s time as a Wake basketball coach should end with Danny Manning’s.

Sorry, y’all. If you didn’t want your favorite player’s legacy to become tarnished, you probably shouldn’t have endorsed our AD turning him into a human shield to protect a bad basketball hire. Actions have consequences.

I for one do not see how Manning and Randolph could get along. Manning is a zombie, and Randolph will go down in history as the most fiercest competitor in Wake basketball history. If he where head coach I can not see this team seeming do lackluster in effort. The man hated to lose. Manning seems to be the type that likes to win, but to me R.C seems to love to win, and hate to lose. If you watch pro athlete's they are just all smiles as soon as the game is over win or lose.

Why not give "one of your own" the opportunity???? I think Randolph could pick up where Jeff left off.

Back