• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today is the day

the longer we suck at basketball, the fewer prospective students who love basketball will come to WF

I'm not saying its the only reason someone chooses a school, but surely it plays a role

My old WFU roommate and I were discussing this. We were there 86-90 - if basketball had been then like it is now, neither of us would have gone. Wake basketball - the old Tacy teams, is what drew our first interest to the school. Even though the Staak years were bad, we would win a big game every now and then. Attendance was pretty good and there was always a sense of this could be the game we pull the upset. This, right now, is beyond a fucking disaster.

My old WFU roommate and I were discussing this. We were there 86-90 - if basketball had been then like it is now, neither of us would have gone. Wake basketball - the old Tacy teams, is what drew our first interest to the school. Even though the Staak years were bad, we would win a big game every now and then. Attendance was pretty good and there was always a sense of this could be the game we pull the upset. This, right now, is beyond a fucking disaster.

being competitive helps. this is just fucking ridiculous

Wellman should go ahead and pull the trigger. The team has obviously quiet on DM as have the fans. The only person in DM's corner right now is Wellman and it is time to do what is right. Heck can't even coach putting on shorts, much less socks. I have never seen a team quiet to this extent.

Today is the greatest
Day I've ever known
Can't live for tomorrow
Tomorrow's much too long
I'll burn my eyes out
Before I get out

being competitive helps. this is just fucking ridiculous

Not really - if not for being competitive in basketball, I never would have heard of Wake Forest back then. We didn't go to Wake because of it, we learned Wake existed because of it.

Is he still here?

Actually no, he is still in Clemson SC. I am pretty sure he is on the phones to his Financial Advisor telling him to find a good spot to invest his coming $18 million

My apologies if already mentioned, but any "in season" firing of Manning might occur Wednesday 2/6/19 the day after the Pittsburgh loss, I mean game, since we would have 8 days before the next game. A new coach would have a little time to work with the players.
That being said, I think his firing will occur 3/18/19 the Monday after the ACC Tournament. I would be Ok if he was fired as I type this.

tumblr_md59pfy6f91rrpsd7.gif

Wellman should go ahead and pull the trigger. The team has obviously quiet on DM as have the fans. The only person in DM's corner right now is Wellman and it is time to do what is right. Heck can't even coach putting on shorts, much less socks. I have never seen a team quiet to this extent.

So much silence.

I know i keep posting - 'is he still here', but my best guess is he gets fired after the FSU game on march 9th - before the tournament starts on Tuesday. That lets him say DM finished the season, but gives him a little bit of a head start on coaching candidates. Hopefully, he is already gauging interest from this top 4 or 5 choices.

F that. ronnie better be reaching out to someone else's top 5.

In addition to the well-documented issues of porous defense, lack of fight in our team, inability to close out games when leading at the 4 minute mark, and on and on I offer the following mind-blowing shooting stats. Against a schedule with plenty of lowly ranked teams, our field goal percentage is at .399 for the season versus our opponents' collective percentage of .457. That number is simply stunning. In addition, our 3 point percentage is .293 and NONE of our top 7 scorers have a FG % above 47%. FG% is determined not only by the quality of the shooters involved but also the quality of the shots they're typically taking. During the first half of the season what was frustrating was the number of open shots we took that we flat out missed. Over the past 5 games as the margin of our losses has increased, the quality of our shots has fallen dramatically as we've become impatient and the lack of teamwork has resulted in too many one-on-one moves resulting in a forced low-percentage attempt.

I have to give the Deacon Club some credit for giving the middle finger to this thread by sending an email out today of which the subject line is:

"Tomorrow is the day and a $150K bonus is on the line..."

What assholes.

"Tomorrow, join Deacon fans around the nation for Deacs Day of Giving! This 24-hour fundraising event will directly impact Wake Forest Athletics and ensure our student-athletes continue to excel on and off the field.

If 100 new donors join the Deacon Club between now and 11:59 p.m. tomorrow, anonymous donors will commit $150,000 to Wake Forest Athletics!"

Who are these pathetic "anonymous donors"? Cocksuckers. The only reason the bastards are remaining anonymous is because they know they will be publicly shamed for supporting this shitshow if their names are revealed. It is probably Wellman and Manning pitching in $150k to make it seem like they have some support.

Back