• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has Blogersodear given up on new basketball coach?

Wake needs to hire Rick Pitino and be done with it. Give him five years to get us back at the level where we belong, lead us to an ACC Championship and a couple of deep NCAA tourney runs, then he can retire and we can bring in a young coach to keep things going at the highest level for a long time.

At this point I don't give two shits about Pitino being tainted or a cheater. The NCAA obviously doesn't care (see UNC) so why should we?
I definitely can get behind this idea. Sadly, from what we've seen from Wellman and a lot of the huge donor class in the past, it'll never happen.

You do have some high-ass standards ATS, I will give you that.

Also Oats has topped what Keatts did at UNCW. I don't really see how that's arguable, unless you give Keatts a big benefit of the doubt for inheriting a program in a lower state than what Oats did

I’m probably just irrationally angry about our current situation. Larranaga and Brownell have obviously had a shit-ton more success than Wake in the last decade. I just don’t think we’d be fired up about an OWG from George Mason or a fairly emotionless guy from Wright State after the last two hires.

And the 6 coaches in front of them are clearly better, IMO.

Agree on Oats over Keatts resume, I think. But Keatts had Louisville experience, as well.

You do have some high-ass standards ATS, I will give you that.

Also Oats has topped what Keatts did at UNCW. I don't really see how that's arguable, unless you give Keatts a big benefit of the doubt for inheriting a program in a lower state than what Oats did

Keatts also had a P6 background and tons of local connections that went into him being pretty much the perfect candidate for a North Carolina school.

Grant has a similarly robust background, unfortunately he hasn't accomplished nearly as much at CoC as Oats has at Buffalo.

I just don't buy the need for local connections. CBB recruiting is a national and often global process.

CFB I can see it being important because of sheer roster size, but I don't think it should be a factor in our basketball coach

Not sure who can fix this mess. Not excited about a youngish up and comer - don’t see that working. Wes Miller type is not the answer. We need an experienced coach like Thad Matta/Bruce Weber to provide stability. Right the ship and turn it over in good shape. But who would actually come to Wake? This is not easy.

Local connections are huge in college football recruiting, but not so much in basketball recruiting.

I like Earl Grant, but I think his slow tempo would really frustrate folks. Especially if he didn’t win right away.

Seeing actual defense get played would be mind blowing, though.

Not sure who can fix this mess. Not excited about a youngish up and comer - don’t see that working. Wes Miller type is not the answer. We need an experienced coach like Thad Matta/Bruce Weber to provide stability. Right the ship and turn it over in good shape. But who would actually come to Wake? This is not easy.

there is nothing structurally wrong with Wake hoops. We have recruited plenty of top 100 talent. We need a good coach. Somebody who can communicate. Shouldn't be that hard paying $2 million.

there is nothing structurally wrong with Wake hoops. We have recruited plenty of top 100 talent. We need a good coach. Somebody who can communicate. Shouldn't be that hard paying $2 million.

I hope it’s that simple. I’m just not sure a young coach with non power 6 experience can get it done. Assuming Manning is gone I see this as a very difficult hire. I don’t think Wellman is up to the task and wonder who would be interested in this quagmire.

What situation do you think it would be with someone like Weber coaching here and just turning it over?

It's not simple. It's alot of hard work. We need a good coach. Plenty of good coaches come up through the ranks to be great P6 coaches. The population of good P6 coaches generally come from young coaches who didn't have P6 experience.

A new coach can come in and if he can convince the current staff of his vision, he has 3 top 100 starters, including a top 25 player. There are much worse situations talent wise that you can walk into.

What situation do you think it would be with someone like Weber coaching here and just turning it over?

Not sure what you mean. I just feel like the program needs a stabilizing force that a chiseled veteran type might bring. Get us moving forward and 5 years or so later a young gun could come in and keep it going. Just my random thoughts. I just see this as a very hard fix. But I really don’t know squat...

Last edited:
It's not simple. It's alot of hard work. We need a good coach. Plenty of good coaches come up through the ranks to be great P6 coaches. The population of good P6 coaches generally come from young coaches who didn't have P6 experience.

A new coach can come in and if he can convince the current staff of his vision, he has 3 top 100 starters, including a top 25 player. There are much worse situations talent wise that you can walk into.

We certainly can agree we need a good coach. I just think a young coach without P6 experience won’t work. Not in this situation.

Not sure what you mean. I just feel like the program needs a stabilizing force that a chiseled veteran type might bring. Get us moving forward and 5 years or so later a young gun could come in and keep it going. Just my random thoughts. I just see this as a very hard fix. But I really don’t know squat...

What coach would agree to a caretaker role? You hire someone like Weber and it’s pitifully uninspiring. Only way a guy like that is gone after 5 years is by firing him and you’re back to square one.

Are there any recent examples of this happening? Only ones I can think of are Guthridge at UNC and that was more a transition from Dean and Snyder coming back at K State, but he obviously had history.

What coach would agree to a caretaker role? You hire someone like Weber and it’s pitifully uninspiring. Only way a guy like that is gone after 5 years is by firing him and you’re back to square one.

Are there any recent examples of this happening? Only ones I can think of are Guthridge at UNC and that was more a transition from Dean and Snyder coming back at K State, but he obviously had history.

I don’t mean that we have a coach in waiting. I just mean a veteran type comes in and rights the ship. Stays as long as he wants. And then replacing with a non power 6 type might be easier. Who knows, my friend who knows. I fear we are in an abyss that is going to hard to get out of. I’d love nothing more than hiring a young up and comer that crushes it. But I’m not sure that’s going to work. And I wish Wellman was not making the hire.

I'm just not a fan of the growing drumbeat in favor of Miller based off of things like his ties to the school and that he'd surely 100% take the job if offered. This hire is too important to settle

That’s fine, but 27 isn’t making the hire. He’s a guy writing some analysis.

This is a shitty post. Also Wes Miller belongs in the mid major tier and not a tier of his own.

These tiers didn’t even exist until blogger so dear’s posts, so quit your whining. If you don’t like them, rearrange the tiers in your mind.

Back up the Brinks truck and this becomes a much simpler problem to solve. We have lost any opportunity for some kind of deal or value play on a staff that wants to revive our program. I also completely disagree with an unproven coach leading us out of the abyss. There are few examples in coaching or anywhere else where that has worked out well.

And we are losing a hell of a lot more money now than we would lose by paying a proven coach in their prime $2-3MM more than they’re making now. That kind of commitment would start to fix the problem. If we go young and unproven, it might work, but it may take more time than we have.

I'm just not a fan of the growing drumbeat in favor of Miller based off of things like his ties to the school and that he'd surely 100% take the job if offered. This hire is too important to settle

I’m not convinced there’s 100% certainty Wes would take the Wake job. The Wake job is fucking garbage right now.

I’m not convinced there’s 100% certainty Wes would take the Wake job. The Wake job is fucking garbage right now.

Not if you pay enough money it’s not. And Wes is an extremely risky choice. Would never pay the kind of money we need to in order to attract Wes. There are much better coaches that would be willing to come here under the right terms.

Back