• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Notre Dame - Tonight 7 pm ESPU

This win is not the salvation of the staff. But it does prove that the staff has not lost the team. And frankly if DM could build a winner I would not object to him remaining. But that cannot happen, so we must move on.

Very puzzling that the team could play this well in this game but look so bad in so many other games. Still multiple dumb turnovers, but also something that looked like actual offense besides the three man dribble weave.

Very puzzling that the team could play this well in this game but look so bad in so many other games. Still multiple dumb turnovers, but also something that looked like actual offense besides the three man dribble weave.

Well. Notre Dame sucks, so that is one reason

ND beat BC twice and GT at home. The most you can say about ND is they have higher lows than us (i.e. some closer losses to better teams).

I'm not going to go so far as to say we played good defense, but the game is a lot easier when you hit 44% of your 3's.

No, the coaches haven’t lost the players.

And the coaches and players deserve credit for the winning play tonight. For showing up ready to play and especially for not wilting after losing our 9 point lead late in the game.

I’m not arguing one way or another about anybody’s job security.

I don't understand why so many of you who identify with Wake Forest, an academic elite think-tank of sorts have so much trouble with the idea that playing well and making shots gives a better chance of winning a basketball game. I'm not defending against the criticisms of coach Manning and the staff. They have certainly failed to meet reasonable expectations for a fifth year, even in our league. But let's get real, those of you claiming Manning had "lost the team" or failed to "try" are just blinded by your disdain for Manning. The truth is the team has for the most part, been playing with effort, and comraderie, but without much effectiveness in the key ingredient which is to outscore your opponent. Blame it poor defense, poor shooting, dumb mistakes, lack of proper coaching or whatever you want, but the real truth was what you saw tonight. When you aren't totally outclassed in talent or coaching, and play well, you have a chance to win. That's it. All your glib proclamations, snarky sarcastic predictions and mostly inane anonymous rantings that apparently make you feel better, or powerful, or clever really have nothing to do with how this actually works. I don't know whether Manning can ever be a good leader and coach at Wake Forest for the long term. I don't think he has shown that in the 5 years, and that's a legit observation and argument against him. But tonight he got his team ready and able to do something unusual. They got a quality game from Childress, and a marquis game from Sarr which has been a HUGE whole in the team all season. Over the balance of the season Manning could bring the disjointedplayerstogether am show real progress. We see. I suspect oi will take the narrative that we win at least 2 more games to move the needle for fan's and crtiqiues. The truth is every team takea a certain amount of time gelling and playing well as a group. One game isn't a renaissance, but or 4 games in a row might be characterized that way,. After tonight we have a blueprint of how the team needs to play to get itself a chance. Lets see what happ
ens now

It's not overly complicated, we shot significantly better tonight than normal, 49% vs. 40% and 44% vs. 30%. Brandon going 5-7 from 3, certainly makes DM look better.

ND's FG% was better than their average 45% vs. 40.

ND is not very good, we had a good offensive game tonight so we won.

I'm happy for the kids. They moved the ball on offense, they shot well and they closed the game when it counted. They won a game for themselves. Congrats.

I don't understand why so many of you who identify with Wake Forest, an academic elite think-tank of sorts have so much trouble with the idea that playing well and making shots gives a better chance of winning a basketball game. I'm not defending against the criticisms of coach Manning and the staff. They have certainly failed to meet reasonable expectations for a fifth year, even in our league. But let's get real, those of you claiming Manning had "lost the team" or failed to "try" are just blinded by your disdain for Manning. The truth is the team has for the most part, been playing with effort, and comraderie, but without much effectiveness in the key ingredient which is to outscore your opponent. Blame it poor defense, poor shooting, dumb mistakes, lack of proper coaching or whatever you want, but the real truth was what you saw tonight. When you aren't totally outclassed in talent or coaching, and play well, you have a chance to win. That's it. All your glib proclamations, snarky sarcastic predictions and mostly inane anonymous rantings that apparently make you feel better, or powerful, or clever really have nothing to do with how this actually works. I don't know whether Manning can ever be a good leader and coach at Wake Forest for the long term. I don't think he has shown that in the 5 years, and that's a legit observation and argument against him. But tonight he got his team ready and able to do something unusual. They got a quality game from Childress, and a marquis game from Sarr which has been a HUGE whole in the team all season. Over the balance of the season Manning could bring the disjointedplayerstogether am show real progress. We see. I suspect oi will take the narrative that we win at least 2 more games to move the needle for fan's and crtiqiues. The truth is every team takea a certain amount of time gelling and playing well as a group. One game isn't a renaissance, but or 4 games in a row might be characterized that way,. After tonight we have a blueprint of how the team needs to play to get itself a chance. Lets see what happ
ens now

Poor sap

It's not overly complicated, we shot significantly better tonight than normal, 49% vs. 40% and 44% vs. 30%. Brandon going 5-7 from 3, certainly makes DM look better.

ND's FG% was better than their average 45% vs. 40.

ND is not very good, we had a good offensive game tonight so we won.

The only way this team can win is to have a night where Childress or someone can't seem to miss. The overall theme to the Manning era is the lack of defense. THAT is the problem. Every team Wake plays has above average offensive numbers vs Wake's defense. The lack of easy points in transition, created by good defense, makes Wake's offensive numbers look worse.

What Fusiondad had to say is pretty much true. What history has shown is that "teaser" games like the one against Notre Dame happen a few times a season, but are rarely repeated. They usually are followed by multiple games in which the team looks clueless.

What a game by Childress! 5-7 from 3. 20 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 0 turnovers, 3 steals. One of the better solo deac performances in a while.

Childress went from playing maybe his worst game ever against UNC,to playing maybe his best game ever against Notre Dame. Got to believe the second half bench time against UNC did him some good.

Last edited:
That is an impressive stat line by Brandon! Zero turnovers really helped us out.

Back