• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

starting to feel there is some truth to the manning is attached to hatches hip. seems odd to make someone wait till may to get this disaster turned around

Fine but how the fuck do you wait until May 1 to hire someone?

Wellmans out and Currie is in effective May 1. We can hire a coach whenever we want. Currie will lead the search. This is not unusual and happens all the time. Nothing to see here.

We can’t wait until may 1 to hire a new coach. Which means we’re not hiring one...?

I was hoping maybe Currie would be coming on before the Wellman departure for a transition period, which would allow Currie to do the lifting on a coaching seach/hire; however, the official release says he will start on May 1 as well. Maybe stuff will happen behind the scenes before that? If he does start on May 1 and no coaching change happens this offseason, then it seems that will point to Wellman either refusing to address the Manning situation or not be able to address it for contract reasons, and being told "OK then, you are done."

It’s been discussed many times here in the past, but the very short version is that right after Maryland left for the big ten there were legitimate discussions of Duke, UNC, and UVA going to the big ten and Clemson, FSU, VT, and Miami going to the SEC, leaving a few schools (including Wake) without a major conference. Wellman (and Hatch) worked to solidify Notre Dame, and most importantly, create the ACC grant of rights deal that kept the ACC together.

Link? I don’t think this went any further than the mindless online speculation stage.

Wellmans out and Currie is in effective May 1. We can hire a coach whenever we want. Currie will lead the search. This is not unusual and happens all the time. Nothing to see here.

How can he lead the search if he is not employed by the searching entity? Not surprising that Wake is going to screw this up.

I don’t think the May 1 date means anything. The guy has been AD for 25 years he’s not going to be gone the next day. Currie will no doubt be heavily involved starting yesterday or whatever. And if a new coach is coming in he already knows who the boss will be.

Great news. Currie is a MONSTER get for AD. Lots of experience and connections throughout college athletics. He isn't a toxic person who will shame his own fanbase/alumni the way Wellman has done. Great fundraiser, and he will understand Wake Athletics better than Wellman ever could.
I would hope Currie could retire in 25 years at Wake Forest.

I’d like to hear these answers too. I’ve never seen credible evidence that Wake was in danger of getting kicked out of the ACC, so I don’t know why Wellman gets credit from Rafi for avoiding a nonexistent threat. Bear patrol.

It's not about Wake getting kicked out of the ACC - it is about there being no more ACC for Wake to be in. UConn didn't get kicked out of the Big East, the Big East ceased to exist. I am by no means a Ron Wellman fan, but my understanding is that he was very involved in the ACC expansion, and without an expanded ACC, there would likely be no ACC right now. And Wake wasn't exactly going to be the first choice for the other expanding conferences.

This is the best thing to happen at Wake Forest in over a decade. John Currie is bringing us back. They could could not have made a better hire. For those shitting on the BOT, of few of them made this happen. “Public support” means absolutely nothing.

It’s nice the BOT made this happen, if true, but it should have happened at 5-10 years ago. The [Redacted] hire was reprehensible.

Bruce Weber (K-state bball) and Mike Leach (Tenn football) are kind of interesting prior targets. A little different than plucking the best young mid-major etc.

Yes, the new AD starting May 1 will have no say in the new head coach. :wtf:

How? Is he employed immediately? Why wait until May 1? It’s ham-handed at best. Having Wellman announce a new hire with Currie lurking in shadows is a terrible look. Waiting until May 1 is worse.

Link? I don’t think this went any further than the mindless online speculation stage.

Links about conference realignment? There are literally hundreds of them. That’s why the ACC grant of rights occurred. Or links about Wellman and Hatch’s role? There are many of them as well - watch the press conference regarding expansion with Notre Dame, it’s Swofford, Hatch, and the Clemson president on stage.

Enjoy retirement, Ron. You stayed at the party way too long but we've all been there. Thanks for hiring Skip way back when, that was cool and bold.

Currie seems fine, I guess, but it's just such a ... Wake hire. Can't help but picture all the gentlemanly phone calls made from boardrooms and corner offices to make this happen. He was a great fit, sure, sure, bleeds old gold and black, yes, yes. But was he the best candidate for the position? Guess we'll never know.

Enjoy retirement, Ron. You stayed at the party way too long but we've all been there. Thanks for hiring Skip way back when, that was cool and bold.

Currie seems fine, I guess, but it's just such a ... Wake hire. Can't help but picture all the gentlemanly phone calls made from boardrooms and corner offices to make this happen. He was a great fit, sure, sure, bleeds old gold and black, yes, yes. But was he the best candidate for the position? Guess we'll never know.

+ a billion. Wake always takes care of it’s own, consequences be damned

I hope May 1 is the hard date and March 4 is the soft date for Currie's involvement.

Back