• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Well Sunday morning on the boards with be interesting for all those that go to sleep 'early'. I think I've primarily check the boards daily for some surprise new like this for months.

i actually found out on twitter first. bless twitters heart

This. We should appreciate Dave Odom more and more everyday.

Ha, ha. Sure but Currie also knows how it feels to win zero ACCT games without Tim Duncan on the roster. I'd hope he'd aspire to a coach that could get to the semi's regularly and the finals in a good year.

Ha, ha. Sure but Currie also knows how it feels to win zero ACCT games without Tim Duncan on the roster. I'd hope he'd aspire to a coach that could get to the semi's regularly and the finals in a good year.

Good gracious...he's the most accomplished coach since fucking Bones McKinney. You've gotta be kidding me. This fan base eats it's own better than any.

i didn't expect to stay up this late damnit

Last edited:
Does this mean soccer and tennis go to shit? I heard Wellman basically coaches those teams.

Good gracious...he's the most accomplished coach since fucking Bones McKinney. You've gotta be kidding me. This fan base eats it's own better than any.

Sigh. He had one of the best players to every play the game. He under achieved. He couldn't win an ACCT game with RR and Chill. Pop unleashed Duncan and is consider one of the best coaches in the history of the NBA because he knew what he had. Odom crapped the bed with a top 5 team that crushed Kansas and was humiliated in the ACCT by MD and then the NCAAT by Butler.

Odom nice guy. Had the benefit of getting an Unicorn that other coaches would have built a dynasty around.

We are debating Matta, Shaka and Oats based on their abilities to take us to the next level. Odom had the tools needed to do that and couldn't.

Sigh. He had one of the best players to every play the game. He under achieved. He couldn't win an ACCT game with RR and Chill. Pop unleashed Duncan and is consider one of the best coaches in the history of the NBA because he knew what he had. Odom crapped the bed with a top 5 team that crushed Kansas and was humiliated in the ACCT by MD and then the NCAAT by Butler.

Odom nice guy. Had the benefit of getting an Unicorn that other coaches would have built a dynasty around.

Those three consecutive wins, pre Duncan, against ultimate NCAA champs were pure fucking luck I guess?

Those three consecutive wins, pre Duncan, against ultimate NCAA champs were pure fucking luck I guess?

Ah, it's like I can breath again. An Odom debate that matters. 92 somehow we beat dook but finished 7-9 in the ACC, fantastic. Thank heavens we could point to that when we lost to UNC in the ACCT and L'ville in the 8/9 game by sound margins.

We started the season as #22 in the country. I'd like to think we could win a game or two like that at home.

Oh, and when I was at Wake we lost to UVA (Sampson) and UNC (Jordon) in the ACCT semi's by 1 and 2 points, Odom had trouble with the bottom half of the bracket

Last edited:

We are debating Matta, Shaka and Oats based on their abilities to take us to the next level. Odom had the tools needed to do that and couldn't.

The next level? Underachieved? Seriously? We've gone through a disastrous decade and you're shitting on Dave Odom again? Amazing. Please just walk into the coliseum and look up. ACC Championships, NCAA appearances, retired numbers...he recruited 4 of those and we've had 1 since.

3 top 10 national finishes, 2 ACC titles, 7 straight NCAA appearances, 11 straight postseasons, 3 ACC coach of the year awards, 1 national coach of the year award, 7 straight wins v. Duke. Next level? Sign me up for this record over the next 10-12 years.

This is fucking awesome. So, given the timing of this (late night, right before the end of bball season) it means he’s being forced out right? I don’t know Wellman personally or anything, but he does strike me as a dude that would’ve liked some type of victory lap to close things out.

So does Currie put any new basketball coaching candidates into play for our search?

So does Currie put any new basketball coaching candidates into play for our search?

Not sure, that's a great question. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the honeymoon ends for Currie here on these boards if he doesn't deliver Matta or Oats or someone of that level.

Back