• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Lectro Busy Biting His MyPillow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://libn.com/2018/11/14/usps-reports-loss-for-12th-straight-year/

"USPS reports loss for 12th straight year"

And its billions of dollars

And it's not funded by the federal government. "The Postal Service is a government agency, but it operates as an independent business without direct taxpayer support."

Here's a major reason why there are losses:

"The Postal Service said it had made "significant cost reductions in areas within its control" by 2011 but claimed it needed Congress to approve several other measures to boost its financial outlook.

Those measures include eliminating mandated retiree health benefit pre-payments; forcing the federal government to return Civil Service Retirement System and Federal Employee Retirement System overpayments to the Postal Service and allowing the Postal Service to determine the frequency of mail delivery."

If they weren't forced to pay benefits in a way no other business does, it's likely there would be no losses.

I'm amazed the USPS is as strong as it is and thought it would on its last legs by now.

However, you don't address the reason it's still strong. It's not because of old people. It's because businesses make untold billions from using USPS for advertising. When that stops being profitable and letters cost $2-3 to send, it will cease to be the way it is.

jsywgd8y_1bco80z_6nv8u4.png

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...

This is literally, literally (literally!) the perfect occasion for "doth protest too much"

Those who bring up Trump here are being the definition of Trumpian. When you can't dispute a position with facts, change the discussion.

RJ agrees with Trump, defends that agreement with the ol' "even a blind squirrel" trope. Trump is dumb but even he has good takes every once in a while!

But Trump *is* RJ. And RJ is Trump.

we all realize that tweet was from a program that generates fake tweets, right

Not to mention Amazon is creating an entire proprietary end-to-end logistics platform which will create a ton of competition for UPS and FedEx. And you can absolutely bet they will never do away with free shipping for Amazon Prime. It’s their gateway drug which they use to hook people on buying thousands of dollars worth of stuff annually. AND the staggering success of their cloud business means they can run as many loss leaders as they want without worrying about profit margin.

And perhaps most importantly, it edges out retailers who can't afford to compete with free shipping on everything.

And it's not funded by the federal government. "The Postal Service is a government agency, but it operates as an independent business without direct taxpayer support."

Here's a major reason why there are losses:

"The Postal Service said it had made "significant cost reductions in areas within its control" by 2011 but claimed it needed Congress to approve several other measures to boost its financial outlook.

Those measures include eliminating mandated retiree health benefit pre-payments; forcing the federal government to return Civil Service Retirement System and Federal Employee Retirement System overpayments to the Postal Service and allowing the Postal Service to determine the frequency of mail delivery."

If they weren't forced to pay benefits in a way no other business does, it's likely there would be no losses.

I'm amazed the USPS is as strong as it is and thought it would on its last legs by now.

However, you don't address the reason it's still strong. It's not because of old people. It's because businesses make untold billions from using USPS for advertising. When that stops being profitable and letters cost $2-3 to send, it will cease to be the way it is.

Not gonna lie, this is a solid response. Respect.

I still think my point stands that with it not being solvent, and 75%+ of mail being junk, that it should be fazed out for cost and environmental reasons. I apologize for making it personal.

I also feel the need to pass on the fact that one of my students just got busted with a water bottle full of jack and coke. While 13-14 year old, the kid looks 7 or 8. So its kind of funny.

Are 50% of cars sold in the US really going to be SUV's by 2020? I don't particularly like them, but its annoying driving behind one cause you can't see over it. Is that the appeal at this point?

I had this dream, last night I think, where my wife decided she wanted to buy a Honda Accord and I was going along with it for awhile. But then I was like NO ! WTF ?! Eventually I took another look at it and it was really sporty. Still, did not buy dream Accord.

Not gonna lie, this is a solid response. Respect.

I still think my point stands that with it not being solvent, and 75%+ of mail being junk, that it should be fazed out for cost and environmental reasons. I apologize for making it personal.

I also feel the need to pass on the fact that one of my students just got busted with a water bottle full of jack and coke. While 13-14 year old, the kid looks 7 or 8. So its kind of funny.

No problems.

Like you have to get the auto industry on board with making more fuel efficient cars, you have to show everyone from mom and pop stores to Target and Wal-Mart that their bottom lines won't be negatively impacted by ending junk mail ads.

There's another factor in advertising. There will be spinoff job losses in arenas like print shops and other support industries. I think one of the biggest industries that would balk about ending snail mail ads is the grocery stores. A huge percentage of their ads are the old style. It may take a generation or more to convince them ending home delivered ads won't cost them business.

Exclusive online payments and other such activities will impact their hiring as well. They won't be able to get away with not having support personnel when there is no other choice.

I am stunned that junk mail still works as well as it does.

I can't remember the last snail mail birthday card I sent.

We do need a government that will expand and enforce CAFE standards. Hell, Volvo won't even be making gas only engines any longer. No company should. But we don't have the balls to do this.

AZ, TX and parts of CA could produce more energy than the entire Middle East, Russia and Latin America, but we are too owned by fossil fuel people.

TIL this is the first TV broadcast re: the news of bin Laden's death.

Obama spoke at 11:35 to confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back