• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Criticism of Religions..Criticism of Christianity.Criticism of Islam..

Do think the same about Christianity? Is it "bad and damaging to humanity"?

I can't speak for him but yes.

Religion isnnothing more than mind control. A way to control people without actually giving them anything tangible. Nothing has inspired more people to murder than "god"

Not in the 20th century.

Mao, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, etc.,

I can't speak for him but yes.

Religion isnnothing more than mind control. A way to control people without actually giving them anything tangible. Nothing has inspired more people to murder than "god"

I disagree with this and other statements vilifying Christianity. When Christianity isn’t distorted by dickbag charlatans and zealots, it actually serves as a good roadmap to be a decent human being and to live a fulfilling life.

Also in terms of “mind control”, especially related to Christianity...I highly recommend the works of CS Lewis. Free will son.

God created things which had free will. That means creatures which can go wrong or right. Some people think they can imagine a creature which was free but had no possibility of going wrong, but I can't. If a thing is free to be good it's also free to be bad. And free will is what has made evil possible. Why, then, did God give them free will? Because free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. A world of automata -of creatures that worked like machines- would hardly be worth creating. The happiness which God designs for His higher creatures is the happiness of being freely, voluntarily united to Him and to each other in an ecstasy of love and delight compared with which the most rapturous love between a man and a woman on this earth is mere milk and water. And for that they've got to be free.
Of course God knew what would happen if they used their freedom the wrong way: apparently, He thought it worth the risk. (...) If God thinks this state of war in the universe a price worth paying for free will -that is, for making a real world in which creatures can do real good or harm and something of real importance can happen, instead of a toy world which only moves when He pulls the strings- then we may take it it is worth paying.

I disagree with this and other statements vilifying Christianity. When Christianity isn’t distorted by dickbag charlatans and zealots, it actually serves as a good roadmap to be a decent human being and to live a fulfilling life.

Sure, but the original vessel of Christianity, the Catholic Church, has been a corrupt and hypocritical organization since the days of Constantine. Anybody accumulating and hoarding wealth, which consists of much of western Christianity, are not true followers of the teachings of Christ. Sure you've got a few brave missionaries and pious, modest Christians out there, but not nearly enough to cancel out the rest.

Therefore the "religion" is a sham. Just like all the others.

And by the teachings of Christ, I mean the canon selected by early Christian authority figures, who selected liturgy which stressed obedience and servitude. Those are the books still taught today.

Mind. Control.

Many Christians are challenged by the teachings of their faith to be humble, loving, forgiving, gracious, generous, redemptive etc.

It’s pretty shortsighted to see only negative influences.

Now, what passes for “conservative” Christianity today in ‘merica? Yep, it’s pretty awful.

Right. That’s the important distinction. The “Christians” that get the most press, and easiest for us to hone in on as ambassadors, are the ones that tie themselves to conservative politics, or gay marriage/abortion (if they aren’t related, but they usually go hand in hand). They definitely make up a good chunk, there’s no denying. However, There are a lot of social justice oriented Christians, and Catholics (Jesuits) who try to adhere to the Gospel, despite being far from perfect. Green St in Winston is one of those places that practices what they preach.

Sure, but the original vessel of Christianity, the Catholic Church, has been a corrupt and hypocritical organization since the days of Constantine. Anybody accumulating and hoarding wealth, which consists of much of western Christianity, are not true followers of the teachings of Christ. Sure you've got a few brave missionaries and pious, modest Christians out there, but not nearly enough to cancel out the rest.

Therefore the "religion" is a sham. Just like all the others.

The original vessel of the Christianity is the Orthodox Church. The Roman Catholic Church split from the Orthodox Church in the Great Schism in 1054. The Catholics split primarily over the Filioque.

I'm starting to feel persecuted as a white, Christian make because of this thread. Time to start voting Republican.

I think this is true for most if not all religions.

More often than not it ends up perverted by dickbag harlatans and zealots. Religion on the whole is a net negative for the world.

Yeah, the story of Jesus expelling the merchants and money changers from the temple really plays well for religious leaders hell bent on creating an obsequious congregation. So does Jesus’s criticism of the Pharisees.

"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's." Romans 13:1 "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."

And yes, there are instances where Jesus or others condemn the greed and malice of certain figures. Which is great, and something that conservative leaders 100% ignore as the greedily enrich themselves, their donors, and as they openly despise and vilify the poor.

I'm just so goddamn sick of people using religion as a shield for a litany of horrible behavior. Asking god for forgiveness, or "working on it with my pastor and family" should not be a valid response or excuse to all the horrible things that Christians in our country do on a daily basis. And the end of the day, these people are generally shitty and selfish human beings, and we should never forget how much they suck.

So you would agree that, unperverted, it’s a good thing?

Maybe, but I can't think of a single example. Besides all religions that I know of, except maybe Zen Buddhism, require the adherents the believe something with out evidence and sometimes in opposition to existing evidence. That creates massive problems in society. For example, People have little problem believeing things like 'guns actually make us safer' because religion teaches us to believe nonsensical things.

Back