• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart - What's Your Reaction?

What is your reaction if Shaka Smart is hired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe he has also learned that Havoc, on constantly pressing, doesn't win at a power conference where most every team has good guards. How many power 6 teams consistently press these days? It leads to too many easy and open looks. Up tempo may be fun to watch, but half court offense and defense is what wins games. Yesterday's UVA/Louisville game displayed 2 coaches and programs who are good at both (and I expect Louisville to keep getting better over the next few years). Look at Gary Williams talented teams of the 90s when he pressed. He never sniffed the final 4 until he had Dixon and Baxter, he stopped pressing and played solid halfcourt man and a 3-2 zone.

A sharp guy like Smart will learn and adapt and come back stronger next time around. Currie is in the same boat.

There are a whole lot of “ifs” associated with a potential Shaka hire.

Currie hired Bruce Weber at KSU after he slid at Illinois. KSU is looking pretty good right now. Anyway I have been touting Nate Oats but Smart would be a serious candidate if he’s interested.

Last edited:
For all of Shaka’s “failings” at Texas, their next game against probable NCAA Top 4 seed Kansas is a toss-up.

It’s a fine line. He’s had a lot of talent, but not enough wins.

I still think he’s a near-elite coach with upside and I’d be ecstatic if he coached at Wake.

I am “All In” if we can grab Shaka. He is a proven coach. Things did not work out for him at Texas, but that isn’t the greatest place for basketball. Barnes did well there, but things fell apart when they hired a new AD. He is doing ok now.

I also think college basketball success often hinges on how well your coach manages the one and done player challenges. Strategies are still developing for many and the rules may be changing again.

Lastly, he would bring energy and excitement that our fan base desperately needs.

Don’t know what his upside will be, but he can make us competitive in two years. And I’m not referring to that “historically competitive “ crap.

So I’ll ask the question again to those who don’t think Shaka’s is worthy enough to hire.

Who else is on your list beyond Matta and Oats? Surely your list is longer than 2 people. And if Shaka “has a lot of question marks” you must have some other sure things in mind.

I am “All In” if we can grab Shaka. He is a proven coach. Things did not work out for him at Texas, but that isn’t the greatest place for basketball. Barnes did well there, but things fell apart when they hired a new AD. He is doing ok now.

I also think college basketball success often hinges on how well your coach manages the one and done player challenges. Strategies are still developing for many and the rules may be changing again.

Lastly, he would bring energy and excitement that our fan base desperately needs.

Don’t know what his upside will be, but he can make us competitive in two years. And I’m not referring to that “historically competitive “ crap.

I hear you, i’m just struggling with the lack of success and the fact we’d (again) be hiring in a sitting coach who didn’t even make the tournament prior to taking the gig. Feel way better if he won a couple in the Big XII and got in the tournament - tho if they roll a bit it would be more likely he’d stay of course.

Shaka's tenure at Texas has been littered with losing his top players to injury or suspension.

2015-16: Cameron Ridley (2nd-leading scorer, leading rebounder) injured right before conference play. Did not play in any game after December 19th.

2016-17: Tevin Mack (leading scorer) suspended. Did not play in any game after January 11th.

2017-18: Andrew Jones (leading scorer) diagnosed with leukemia. Did not play in any game after January 1st.

2018-19: Kerwin Roach II (leading scorer) suspended. Has not played in any game since February 16th.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ayo
I hate all of you so fucking much.

We would be extremely fortunate to bring Shaka to WS. What the hell is wrong with you people? The only names I’m hearing from no Shaka-out crowd are an up and comer buffalo coach and a sick, retired Thad Matta.

Aside from DR are there people here that would rather have Wes or Pat?

After a decade of bzdelek and Danny we seriously have people that weouldnt be excited about hiring Shaka Smart. Jesus H Christ

We would be extremely fortunate to bring Shaka to WS. What the hell is wrong with you people? The only names I’m hearing from no Shaka-out crowd are an up and comer buffalo coach and a sick, retired Thad Matta.

After a decade of bzdelek and Danny we seriously have people that weouldnt be excited about hiring Shaka Smart. Jesus H Christ

This x 1 gazillion. Great post.

We couldn’t/didn’t hire Shaka 5 years ago, but it would have universally been considered a home run.

Over that last 5 years, how has Shaka’s reputation somehow fallen farther than that of Wake Forest Basketball?

I guess maybe we were already about as low as you can go?

If our standard is better than the current coach, fine. I’d like to think we would aim higher than that.

You might need to hit some anger management therapy dude. This poll asked the degree to which we'd be excited about hiring Shaka Smart. I'm a meh. I don't really understand the anger against folks who aren't as super-excited as you apparently would be. He has had a chance at a Power 6 program and kind of stinks at it so far. I'm meh because I need to see it to believe it that he can win in a conference like the Big 12 or the ACC. That's a reasonable qualm. Matta has proven it, right? That'd be my #1 and my "YES!" in the poll here. Oats is the next big thing...could he crash and burn? Sure. But we have no evidence that he'd struggle in a big conference like we do on Smart. So he's my "Nice" vote. Smart...meh. That's all the folks who are hesitant are saying. Chill out a bit...it'll be good for you.

100000%

Or maybe the question is with all these positive stats, why he NEVER finishes first? Literally the guy has NEVER finished in 1st. KenPom is all well and good, but what matters most are actual results. Based on the KenPom data here you'd figure he'd win the league regular season at least once. But no. Tells me that the guy puts together talented teams with cumulative statistics that look solid, but can't translate that to enough actual wins. I don't know about you, but I'm not looking to win the KenPom race...I'd rather win the ACC race. Call me crazy.

Says the guy shilling for Ryan Odom

Back