• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart - What's Your Reaction?

What is your reaction if Shaka Smart is hired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If our standard is better than the current coach, fine. I’d like to think we would aim higher than that.

Sorry if I’ve missed it but who are your choices above Shaka? Brad Stevens and Mark Few aren’t coming to WS

You might need to hit some anger management therapy dude. This poll asked the degree to which we'd be excited about hiring Shaka Smart. I'm a meh. I don't really understand the anger against folks who aren't as super-excited as you apparently would be. He has had a chance at a Power 6 program and kind of stinks at it so far. I'm meh because I need to see it to believe it that he can win in a conference like the Big 12 or the ACC. That's a reasonable qualm. Matta has proven it, right? That'd be my #1 and my "YES!" in the poll here. Oats is the next big thing...could he crash and burn? Sure. But we have no evidence that he'd struggle in a big conference like we do on Smart. So he's my "Nice" vote. Smart...meh. That's all the folks who are hesitant are saying. Chill out a bit...it'll be good for you.

Sure, Matta would be a great hire. Oats isn’t a sure thing, whereas Shaka is at least a proven successful coach.

If we get any of the 3 we will be lucky. Chances are, we will get miller, Odom or Kelsey. You probably won’t have to worry about the meh feeling of hiring Shaka.

I hate all of you so fucking much.

We would be extremely fortunate to bring Shaka to WS. What the hell is wrong with you people? The only names I’m hearing from no Shaka-out crowd are an up and comer buffalo coach and a sick, retired Thad Matta.

Aside from DR are there people here that would rather have Wes or Pat?

After a decade of bzdelek and Danny we seriously have people that weouldnt be excited about hiring Shaka Smart. Jesus H Christ

This.

Says the guy shilling for Ryan Odom

Apples and oranges. In this debate on the big names, I'm simply putting Smart third on my list. That's reasonable I would think.

If we start dropping to the mid-major crew beyond Oats...yes, I'm shilling for Odom.

Sure, Matta would be a great hire. Oats isn’t a sure thing, whereas Shaka is at least a proven successful coach.

If we get any of the 3 we will be lucky. Chances are, we will get miller, Odom or Kelsey. You probably won’t have to worry about the meh feeling of hiring Shaka.

I'll grant that it wouldn't be a meh choice compared to the mid-major guys. You're right and I was perhaps misinterpreting the poll a bit as I was thinking about it v. the bigger names we've discussed. Point taken.

But I will push back on the idea that Oats is not proven and Smart is proven. Smart certainly proved himself at the mid-major level, but so has Oats. But if you mean Smart has proven himself at Texas...I'll beg to differ.

Ugggghh, I really hope Currie can step away from the closed mindset of certain people who propagate the idea that the next coach should have Wake Forest ties. First, we are not Duke or Chapel Hill with some long tenured Hall of Fame coaches with big coaching trees and massive success to choose from. Second, none of the coaches hired since Ron Wellman became AD had Wake Forest ties. The sooner this board can stop mentioning unqualified coaches with marginal Wake Forest ties the better I'll feel about Currie's decision. I know Creamy agrees with me, lets go out and get the best coach possible and pray we avoid another disaster hire simply because the coach had Wake Forest ties. None of those guys would be in my first 7 phone calls, and if we start missing out by option 5 just realize the program is doomed to be dog shit for as long as most of us will live.

There are a whole lot of “ifs” associated with a potential Shaka hire.

That's true but it is those "ifs" that make Wake getting Shaka even a possibility.

Football is king in the entire state of Texas, not just the university. I think coming to tobacco road and basketball country would re-energize Shaka. He thrives on enthusiasm and effort and energy and all of those types of intangibles. He could have that at Wake. The fan base is starving for someone like him.

If Shaka is out at TX then Currie needs to close the deal with him this time at Wake.

Shaka would be home run hire. His teams at Texas haven't been nearly as bad as the public perception.

Shaka sounds like b-ball version of Will muschamp.

Shaka would be home run hire. His teams at Texas haven't been nearly as bad as the public perception.

Shaka has had some bad luck at Texas. How many basketball players get leukemia?

So I’ll ask the question again to those who don’t think Shaka’s is worthy enough to hire.

Who else is on your list beyond Matta and Oats? Surely your list is longer than 2 people. And if Shaka “has a lot of question marks” you must have some other sure things in mind.

Okay, I'll answer. Above Smart, I'd have Marshall, Matta and Oats in that order. And I didn't say he wouldn't be worth hiring. I said I'd be in between meh and nice. Personally, I think he's a wonderful guy and would be a great representative of our school. One issue is you'd have to overpay him because he's a big name when you compare the name to the results at Texas - I'm guessing in the $3-4mil per range. But it's not my money, so fine. My bigger issue is style of play. I just don't think you can press all game at a power 6 level and be consistently successful. That was his signature at VCU where he was wildly successful. He hasn't been able to play that same way at Texas. And though he's recruited pretty well, he just plain hasn't been successful there. So while I think he's a great leader of men, his preferred style of play isn't going to cut it at a power 6 school. That's why I think it's an open question as to whether he can reinvent himself and have sustained success at a power 6 school because it hasn't happened at a place where it should have happened. Now if he said he was going to go learn the packline man from Dick Bennett, I'd feel better.

So here's a question in return for those of you in the Shaka movement. I don't catch many B-12 games and have only seen Texas like 3 times this year. For those of you in that part of the country, what have you seen from Texas offensively or defensively that you like or haven't liked?

Back